Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2011 21 hour 1200 mile Focus rental experience

Rented a Focus SEL 6 speed auto/manual over the weekend to make a road trip that I didn't trust my DD with, wife had the Impala and was already there (funeral). So after about 1200 miles, 21 hours in the front seat here my review.

Anyway driving it home from work with snow so speed reduced, at 50 mph or below I think 42 mpg would come easy, once roads cleared MPG(gauge) dropped to about 38 mpg at 55 mph. Taking it back to work before turning it in I reset the guage I tried to drive same as Stratus, 39.3 mpg vs Stratus 31.8 current temps.

Clear road trip north from SE Iowa to Duluth MN guage indicate 35 mpg, probably average speed of 65 mph. Return trip roads slick averaged 37 mpg with speed average about 55. (my younger brother has a Titanum version his average at interstate speeds (Chicago IL driver)is 34 mpg.

6 speed auto clutch manual what every they call it, it has a few quirks, shifts into 2nd mid left turn from stop every time, I think if I owed it I'd learn to accerlarate harder to avoid it or get used to it not sure, not realy a problem, just that I'd never shift exposed like that. Normal city driving it hit's 4th gear about 20 mph, rpms kept really low, but engine doesn't mind(1200 rpm). At speed it occasionally searches for a gear, but 90% of time if finds a gear quick and accelerates smooth. Above 70 mph it's out of gears to pass quickly, but that's too fast anyway, below that it's quite responsive and satisfiying.

Basically loved the powertrain, ABS best I've ever used, Traction control takes a little getting used to linked with that auto clutch, it worked well but I couldn'd hear anything, compared to ABS where you hear feel it working so tendency is to keep pushing harder on go pedal (same problem with Impala, only other car I've owned/driven with TC but it's TQ somewhat isolates it more).

Bads, really only two. First the seat are concave in the lombare area, even my just turned 19 yo girl noticed, I could live with that one for my normal commute. Number 2, the suspension is tight enough that on concrete roads with joints the rythmic thump/thump/thump/thump/thump... made my head bounce like a bobble head, my 19 yo noticed that too.

Drive train was great, it has nice engine sound, go to sport mode and push buttons shift is fun for a few miles, then back to D. T'stat climate control is sweet, the Impala sucks by comparison trying to get the right temp.

My 12 son say don't every buy a ford, he'll leave home, I'll remember that. My 14 yo girls ready to get her permit wants one for her first car.

Last edited by roosterk0031; 01-25-2012 at 09:33 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread