Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Driving while distracted + lead foot = wasted much fuel

I wasted 0.33gal more than expected today.

My cat was in the care of a nine year old this weekend while I was on vacation. Well, the cat got out of his box and was loose in his car during the 15min trip home, and he was a big distraction. I was trying to do 64mph in a 55 zone, but I looked down and saw 66mph, lifted off the throttle a little, looked up and saw a state trooper with a radar gun pointed at me, hopping into his car and reaching for his seat belt.

Of course, I tucked in between two SUVs and exited the interstate. You know, so he could safely pull me over. Well, he didn't follow, but that exit took me downtown at 6pm. I took the long way home, wasting 15min and 0.3gal more than usual.

I consider this a slap on the wrist and a warning: Speeding doesn't pay when you're distracted.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Well played.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
I wasted 0.33gal more than expected today.

My cat was in the care of a nine year old this weekend while I was on vacation. Well, the cat got out of his box and was loose in his car during the 15min trip home, and he was a big distraction. I was trying to do 64mph in a 55 zone, but I looked down and saw 66mph, lifted off the throttle a little, looked up and saw a state trooper with a radar gun pointed at me, hopping into his car and reaching for his seat belt.

Of course, I tucked in between two SUVs and exited the interstate. You know, so he could safely pull me over. Well, he didn't follow, but that exit took me downtown at 6pm. I took the long way home, wasting 15min and 0.3gal more than usual.

I consider this a slap on the wrist and a warning: Speeding doesn't pay when you're distracted.
You live in upstate NY. By now you should know what the predatory NYS troopers are like. "A slap on the wrist" is what happens when the cop pulls you over, believes your story about your cat, and lets you go with just a warning. Not likely to happen, tho.

Buy yourself a radar detector. It will have paid for itself the next time you are distracted.

But don't forget to drive with it plugged in at all times...
Old 05-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
As far as fuel consumption goes, speeding doesn't pay even when you're not distracted.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
If the trooper was riding in the car, with me driving, he would fall asleep, just like my wife does.

regards
Mech
Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
If the trooper was riding in the car, with me driving, he would fall asleep, just like my wife does.

regards
Mech
You can be ticketed for driving too slowly on an interstate highway - with good reason: it can be a safety hazard.

Slow is not always virtuous.

Reply  Post New Thread