EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   Thoughts on using electric unicycles? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/thoughts-using-electric-unicycles-35348.html)

daguldol 07-09-2017 09:16 AM

Thoughts on using electric unicycles?

Hello! Anybody here using an electric unicycle? I was thinking of buying one, not because it looks cool but because it can be a mode of transpo. I saw a person riding an electric unicycle on the sidewalk with his backpack. Then I suddenly think that its possible for me to use e-uni when going to work. It would help me save.... well, that's what I thought. So now, I'm in search for a good brand or model of electric unicycle. I saw a list here but still can't decided which one to pick. The Inmotion V8 and Segway One S1 are my two choices. Any thoughts about it? Thanks.

freebeard 07-10-2017 11:36 PM

Hoverboard

Jalopnik: Florida Figured Out How To Hoverboard While Sitting

hamsterpower 07-11-2017 07:34 AM

I'm all for the electrification of the automobile but in my opinion a bike is a better option to these last mile devices. (segway, hoverboards...) Why use electricity for under 12 miles/ 12 miles per hour? (the typical limit for these)

TexasElectric 07-11-2017 10:03 AM

daguldol

Having just finished building an electric bicycle. Some things to think about...

- Where will you store the batteries/controller/BMS? (more range = more batteries = more weight)
- What size motor are you looking at? (I built my eBike with a 1500w motor and the amount of torque that thing puts out would easily cause you to wreck on a unicycle 'all you'd have to do is sneeze and twitch the throttle')

What speeds would you like to travel at? For how many miles?

It's an interesting idea. :)

daguldol 07-13-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsterpower (Post 544913)
I'm all for the electrification of the automobile but in my opinion a bike is a better option to these last mile devices. (segway, hoverboards...) Why use electricity for under 12 miles/ 12 miles per hour? (the typical limit for these)

You have a point right there. Now that I think about it, the speed is not really that fast for a transportation. The problem with bike is that I get sweaty. Maybe I'll just go with an electric bike instead.

samwichse 07-13-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daguldol (Post 545033)
You have a point right there. Now that I think about it, the speed is not really that fast for a transportation. The problem with bike is that I get sweaty. Maybe I'll just go with an electric bike instead.

Honestly, if all you want is last mile, I'd do a small folding electric scooter, something like:

Carbon Fiber 6600mAh 5.5 inch Wheels Folding Electric Scooter -$459.99 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Weighs 15 lbs, folds up nice and small, should easily travel 12 mi/hour for 10 miles. No where near as dangerous as the unicycles, but way more portable than a bicycle.

darcane 07-13-2017 02:12 PM

Onewheel?

Made locally for you in Santa Cruz, California. As Tested by Adam Savage...

Grant-53 07-13-2017 07:08 PM

Most days I can ride at 12 mph without sweat but it may warmer where you are.

freebeard 07-13-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

The problem with bike is that I get sweaty.
So you have the bike already?

Fashion a tight-fitting aluminum skull cap and put aluminum fins on it. They substitute for the foam inside by being crushable. A large portion of heat loss is through the head. It's why people wear hats.

If you cool the back of your neck you will feel cooler, whether you sweat less or not.

Edit: Art Deco aluminum fins with speed holes.

daguldol 07-14-2017 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwichse (Post 545042)
Honestly, if all you want is last mile, I'd do a small folding electric scooter, something like:

Carbon Fiber 6600mAh 5.5 inch Wheels Folding Electric Scooter -$459.99 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Weighs 15 lbs, folds up nice and small, should easily travel 12 mi/hour for 10 miles. No where near as dangerous as the unicycles, but way more portable than a bicycle.

Nice, thanks for that. Such a nice option :D

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-15-2017 08:05 PM

A few weeks ago I saw one of those electric unicycles.

samwichse 09-20-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathisXB (Post 550481)
I would definitely go for an electric bicycle as well. A much faster and more practical option. Living in Copenhagen - the city of biking people - i really see how electric bikes have become more popular within the last couple of years. It takes you from a to b without you having to feel like you have been exercising when you reach your destination. I think its much more practical than the electric unicycle which to me, seems rather unpractical. I am also considering linkspam removed an electric bike myself.

There's a shocker. Spam link for some financial garbage embedded in the post.

So surprised. But congrats on reaching exactly 10 posts.

Xist 09-20-2017 02:13 PM

He is gone now. I got an error message when I went to report him. It gave two possible reasons for the error and one was that I had been blocked. I know I annoy some on here, but blocked.

Yeah, it should definitely mention the possibility that I was reporting a post that was already removed.

samwichse 09-20-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 550490)
He is gone now. I got an error message when I went to report him. It gave two possible reasons for the error and one was that I had been blocked. I know I annoy some on here, but blocked.

Yeah, it should definitely mention the possibility that I was reporting a post that was already removed.

After all the flak on the other thread, dare I mention that the OP is also just linkspam:
https://www.google.com/search?q=foru...onevolved.com"

And the most damning evidence: here's the guy who made that site advertising it in his portfolio of SEO/Amazon affiliate spam sites:
Portfolio | Amazon Affiliate Niche Sites | KS Web Services

Sam

misa33 10-30-2017 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 544902)
Hoverboard

shut up and take my money :D

misa33 10-30-2017 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 545254)
A few weeks ago I saw one of those electric unicycles.

Guess that bashing your teeth in on normal unicycle is too boring nowadays. Anyway great respect for anybody who can ride that thing :)

Grant-53 10-30-2017 01:51 PM

An e-bike would have more cargo capacity and a body shell for better aero efficiency.

freebeard 10-30-2017 02:09 PM

Add a third wheel for stability, 80mph top speed and 70 miles range: Boom! Arcimoto SRK.

Grant-53 10-30-2017 07:55 PM

Quite a range of prices. A basic e-bike could be had starting for $500 and an high end electric velomobile might run $10,000.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-31-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misa33 (Post 553213)
Guess that bashing your teeth in on normal unicycle is too boring nowadays.

Apart from a handful of circus artists, the last time I saw someone riding an unicycle was about 8 years ago.

This guy:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UQjOkA0Z9M...nociclista.jpg

hamsterpower 11-01-2017 06:29 AM

I've ridden my unicycle to work on occasion. The benefits over a bike are small. It takes less space to store, and I got interesting comments along the way. Most people have never seen one. The drawback over the bike are many. My uni is only about three times faster than walking or about two times slower the a bicycle. Obviously stability is a problem, it has a much lower tolerance for wind. For some the lack of coasting, my commuter bike is also fixed gear.

I ride the fixed gear because I love the simplicity/reliability, so the uni takes that to another level, Only a wheel and pedals. But it did not work out that way. Just too much trouble.
I don't feel the need to electrify either of them.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-05-2017 01:21 AM

Fixed gear in a bicycle ain't that bad, especially if it's fitted with those coaster brakes. But the unicycle would be out of question for me.

freebeard 11-05-2017 12:30 PM

Fixxees don't have brakes, you pedal backward.

Xist 11-07-2017 04:14 PM

Why don't you just electrocute the rider?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-07-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 553482)
Fixxees don't have brakes, you pedal backward.

But it has some sort of lock that prevents the hub from keep free-wheeling once you pedal backward.

freebeard 11-08-2017 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsterpower
I ride the fixed gear because I love the simplicity/reliability, so the uni takes that to another level, Only a wheel and pedals. But it did not work out that way. Just too much trouble.

We should let hamsterpower comment, but 'fixed gear' is not the same thing as a freewheeling hub and coaster brake. No coasting.

hamsterpower 11-08-2017 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 553637)
We should let hamsterpower comment, but 'fixed gear' is not the same thing as a freewheeling hub and coaster brake. No coasting.

Freebeard is correct, a fixed gear bicycle does not coast at all. when you pedal forward the drive wheel turns forward, when you pedal backward the drive wheel turns backward. To brake one has to either do a little hop and lock the pedals in turn locking the drive wheel or apply negative pressure to the pedals which adds drag and slows without skidding. Many fixed gear bicycles have a traditional hand brake on the front wheel for emergency stopping. That negative pressure is a much different workout than one usually gets on a coasting bicycle.
I personally enjoy the pureness or oneness with my fixed gear bicycle. I find it more like walking. Pedal faster go faster, pedal slower the bike slows immediately.

freebeard 07-29-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by some post that was deleted
The significant difference between hoverboards, electric scooters and unicycles is you cannot stand still on these

This is why we have the Oxford Comma. Hoverboards or electric scooters vs unicycles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuXAVrwF8Lo

hayden55 07-29-2019 05:09 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Electr...gateway&sr=8-2

One of these would be the best bet. I noticed on an engineering document a while ago it said they were only using 1900 mAh 18650 cells for their battery pack. If you swapped to 3500 mAh cells you could really increase the range and speed on one of these with a new motor controller and a temp sensor. It would be a cool project to work on, but my city isn't urban enough for something like this. They aren't super light weight either. Maybe with the more energy dense batteries in series and parallel you could shrink the pack size and swiss cheese the frame a little lol.

I've had one up to 20 mph here down hill (bird scooter), but the electric scooter law is 28 mph and below. Would be a wild ride at 28 lol.

Xist 07-30-2019 01:29 PM

Ah, the Oxford Comma! My supervisor complained about paperwork errors and made me install Grammarly.

It does not seem to believe in the Oxford Comma, but and tells me to make changes to my writing just as bizarre as my supervisor does.

No wonder she recommended it!

redpoint5 07-30-2019 02:22 PM

Somehow I missed this thread the first go-'round. I made an impulse purchase to get a Ninebot (Segway) Mini for ~$300, and it's a ton of fun. The problem I have with it is that you very quickly get comfortable traveling at the max speed of 10 MPH and wish it would go faster.

An electric unicycle (EUC) is on my purchase list. There are ones that will do something like 45 MPH and have a 45 mile range. I probably wouldn't ride at those speeds without full leathers and a helmet, but it would be fun to have the oomf on tap. They are silly expensive though, so I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale or a good price on a used one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnYuzgJ3_aE

hayden55 07-30-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 603407)
Somehow I missed this thread the first go-'round. I made an impulse purchase to get a Ninebot (Segway) Mini for ~$300, and it's a ton of fun. The problem I have with it is that you very quickly get comfortable traveling at the max speed of 10 MPH and wish it would go faster.

An electric unicycle (EUC) is on my purchase list. There are ones that will do something like 45 MPH and have a 45 mile range. I probably wouldn't ride at those speeds without full leathers and a helmet, but it would be fun to have the oomf on tap. They are silly expensive though, so I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale or a good price on a used one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnYuzgJ3_aE

And they say only kids have toys. Pshh....

freebeard 07-30-2019 03:13 PM

I'm as impressed by the image stabilization as the wheel. That's floating at the end of a 4ft lever and he's bouncing his end up and down.

The thing about the Kooter is it has wide tires and a low CG so it stands at rest without a kick-stand.

Grant-53 07-30-2019 03:50 PM

Zero crash protection and maximum air drag. I spent $300 on a good city bike 20 years ago and it can let me cruise comfortably at 12 mph and carry four bags of groceries. Just be careful where you ride.

rmay635703 07-30-2019 04:55 PM

https://funnyjunk.com/funny_gifs/1295723/Unicycle/

niky 08-01-2019 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayden55 (Post 603335)
https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Electr...gateway&sr=8-2

One of these would be the best bet. I noticed on an engineering document a while ago it said they were only using 1900 mAh 18650 cells for their battery pack. If you swapped to 3500 mAh cells you could really increase the range and speed on one of these with a new motor controller and a temp sensor. It would be a cool project to work on, but my city isn't urban enough for something like this. They aren't super light weight either. Maybe with the more energy dense batteries in series and parallel you could shrink the pack size and swiss cheese the frame a little lol.

I've had one up to 20 mph here down hill (bird scooter), but the electric scooter law is 28 mph and below. Would be a wild ride at 28 lol.

The higher end scooters here can do up to and beyond 80 km/h (about 50 mph).

Which is vastly more than you need for an in-city commute. 30-40 mph would be more than enough.

The problem is, to build up a kick scooter to withstand those speeds, you need to add bigger tires and an actual suspension (unless you like breaking the front arms off when you hit something at speed), and those things become much less portable.

hayden55 08-01-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 603577)
The higher end scooters here can do up to and beyond 80 km/h (about 50 mph).

Which is vastly more than you need for an in-city commute. 30-40 mph would be more than enough.

The problem is, to build up a kick scooter to withstand those speeds, you need to add bigger tires and an actual suspension (unless you like breaking the front arms off when you hit something at speed), and those things become much less portable.

True. Thats why I said it would be something else to get one to go that fast would be something else. lol
They literally beat you to death. But in Midtown Memphis I can already beat traffic through the city by a large margin with the 15 mph top speed on the bird scooters for 1/7 of the cost.
I think where it would really help is these scooters have zero guts up hills. like no balls at all.

redpoint5 08-01-2019 05:14 PM

Hills are part of the reason I want a powerful EUC. My Segway mini slows down to 1 MPH or less on the steepest hills. If an EUC can do 45 MPH flat, it should be able to do 5 MPH up a very steep hill.

Xist 08-02-2019 12:32 AM

Boosted boards are supposed to be great up hills.

niky 08-02-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayden55 (Post 603614)
I think where it would really help is these scooters have zero guts up hills. like no balls at all.

I think the high end ones should do fine. The Dualtrons that some people are using to deal with our potholed streets are built specifically for off-road use.

They're absolutely fantastic on-road because of the suspension, but I personally wouldn't have the guts to go off-roading on something like that!