EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Throttle plate delete? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/throttle-plate-delete-22958.html)

Quezacotl 08-17-2012 07:48 AM

Throttle plate delete?

Hellou.

About the throttle plate, the butterfly valve...
I've found some mixed info about this, that it would increase FE or something.

It controls the airflow going in. but does it control the fuel/air ratio? Or if i delete it, then the ECU has no option but to lower the fuel flow, therefor slowing the car down?

And i'm talking about petrol engine :)

So what are your thoughts about this?

EDIT: I read a little more, and found out that if it's deleted, the idle would be enormous :D
But, if i play with the TPS signal, i could adjust the air/fuel ratio?

Daox 08-17-2012 09:21 AM

It is not possible with a gasoline engine. Gas engines are throttled with the throttle body and air/fuel ratio is kept via other sensors. Diesel engines are throttled with how much fuel is injected and air/fuel ratios are all over the map.

drmiller100 08-17-2012 11:08 AM

a gas or petrol engine wants 14:1 mixture or so, or it will not fire at all.

if you add a bunch of air, you have to add fuel. add fuel and air, and it idles very very high.

I have thought about firing the injectors only once in a while to limit RPM.

ksa8907 08-17-2012 11:13 AM

Not possible. If you're interested in engine mods you should start with the air delivery and exhaust, then combustion chamber, port matching.... Roller bearings if you really want to throw time and money around.

Quezacotl 08-17-2012 12:07 PM

Yea, i was just thinking in theory :)
I'm about to make the CAI, when i got time. I already made a hole in the airbox, but got no time for more :D 50% done.

But since my car has no air mass meter or any fancy things, only cold/warm switch on airbox, and air temperature meter at the throttle body, should it be possible to adjust the air/fuel ratio by adjusting throttle position sensor?
Im my car, i would need to adjust it for 33% for it to be 14,7:1.
Or something i'm not noticing here?

darcane 08-17-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 322166)
It is not possible with a gasoline engine. Gas engines are throttled with the throttle body and air/fuel ratio is kept via other sensors. Diesel engines are throttled with how much fuel is injected and air/fuel ratios are all over the map.

It *IS* possible to run gasoline engines without a throttle plate! BMW does it:
Valvetronic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fiat and Nissan also have versions of this.

But it's really not feasible to convert a conventional throttle engine to a valve-throttled engine.

PaleMelanesian 08-17-2012 02:21 PM

Honda's R18 engine in the Civic has a modified valve timing mode that allows a more open throttle for low power cruise. It keeps the intake valve open longer so some of the air is pushed back out before the compression stroke.

oil pan 4 08-17-2012 02:58 PM

You are talking about eliminating the gasoline engines isobaric intake expansion (throtteling).
The easyest way to do that is relocate your otto engine to the junk yard and put a turbodiesel in its place.
That would replace your isobaric expansion with double isentropic compression (through the turbo charger compressor and maybe a little isobaric heat rejection through the intercooler, then into the cylinder for compression).

On a gas engine you play a limited game mostly around the throttle plate.
On a turbodiesel the concept is simple: stuff more air into the engine all the time, get better milage and more power.

vskid3 08-17-2012 04:40 PM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...less-9092.html

This has been tried before, ended up melting a piston because he went too lean.