EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   TimV in the house, Dieselboy wants to get the best out of his ride (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/timv-house-dieselboy-wants-get-best-out-his-28215.html)

TimV 02-15-2014 01:11 PM

TimV in the house, Dieselboy wants to get the best out of his ride

Hi everybody

My name is Tim.
I aim from Belgium, I live near Antwerp.
Working in a factory in a 5 shift system.
And riding a nice car.

Its a Ssangyong Kyron 2.0 XDI

Ive got a few questions and I aim willing to learn and help other people.

So where do i start a topic to let people know the improvements and al my work that i do on my car?

Thanks

Ok,
More of my car.
Its a 2L turbo diesel with a VGA turbo, 4 cilinder in line, commonrail.
Rear wheel drive only.
Factory output is 141hp and 318Nm.
I already did a tune on that.
Now output is 174hp and 381Nm.

Normal fual use of the car:
6,5l/100km on highway
7,7l/100km combined
10l/100km in city

I recently bought a scangauge eco.

My best fuel use is 6,2l/100km on a full tank (around 70l)
Normally i average between 6,4 and 6,7l/100km.

I already lowerd highway speed from 120km/h to 90km/h.
And changed my driving style.
Before i could only drive 750 to 800km for a full tank (70l)
Now, i drive 1100 to 1150km with one full tank.
Thats an inprovement of 45%
Only with changing my driving style. :D

TimV 02-16-2014 01:29 AM

Things that i want to do with my car:

-bigger turbo + aftermarket intercooler (for saving weight) + remap (aproximaly to 215hp)
- lower grill block with a small hole for a little cooling
- upper grill block with a small hole for the intercooler
- a belly pan, nog completely, but more then already
- maybe looking in something so i can make it a hybrid

So, give your toughts about it.

Thanks!

California98Civic 02-16-2014 08:16 AM

A bigger turbo on your existing engine will not save you fuel. I'll do the opposite, probably. A bigger turbo with a swap to smaller engine might save you fuel, like the eco-boost idea (not unique to Ford).

Cobb 02-16-2014 01:46 PM

You need to make it easier for your turbo to work. Better flow, trap more of the heat energy from the manifold to the snail. :thumbup:

TimV 02-16-2014 02:37 PM

Is there anny info i can found over?
What do you mean with trap more heat energy of the manifold tobthe snail. What is the snail? Because i dont know all the english therms of an engine. Thanks

Gealii 02-16-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimV (Post 411417)
Is there anny info i can found over?
What do you mean with trap more heat energy of the manifold tobthe snail. What is the snail? Because i dont know all the english therms of an engine. Thanks

the snail is the turbo based on how it looks. trapping the heat would mean wrapping the headers and exhaust half of the turbos to not allow hot air into the engine bay making intake temps cooler improving Fuel economy on diesels.

TimV 02-16-2014 05:40 PM

When i drive at 90km/h. My intake temperature is only 1 or 2 degrees higher then temperature outside. This car already has en cold air intake. I can understand that wrapping the headers and exhoust is needed when i do a partial grillblock.

Thanks for the help.

Are there any other mods i could do that i didn't mention?

elhigh 02-16-2014 07:01 PM

Wrapping your exhaust headers to the snail is more about making the most power possible, it helps ensure that there is more energy in the exhaust stream to spin up the turbo, none of it lost into the engine bay.

You would of course want to wrap it when you've added a grille block.

Another mod would be to add smoothie wheel discs and/or wheel skirts on the rears. Cover those big air churns up and stop wasting energy spinning air needlessly.

Gealii 02-16-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 411442)
Wrapping your exhaust headers to the snail is more about making the most power possible, it helps ensure that there is more energy in the exhaust stream to spin up the turbo, none of it lost into the engine bay.

Can you explain on this?

A turbo works by the exhaust gasses passing across the turbine which allows it to spool up. If heat is lost through the transfer of the metal, the pressure would still be there to spool the turbo. So unless you have holes in your exhaust manifold wrapping them would not help spin the turbo. The wrap for the turbo is to keep heat out of the engine bay away from the cool air going to the intake side of the turbo which heats up through heat transfer anyway.

elhigh 02-17-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gealii (Post 411444)
Can you explain on this? <snip>
If heat is lost through the transfer of the metal, the pressure would still be there to spool the turbo. <snip>

Simple physics.

Check it out: Boyle's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ; also look up
Ideal gas law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heat is pressure. If you have a container of fixed volume and it is at zero psig (that's gauge pressure, so it has normal atmospheric pressure inside it), if you add heat to the container you increase the pressure. Lose heat, lose pressure.

Allowing the exhaust manifold to leak heat is to allow it to leak energy. You want as much of that energy to impinge upon the power turbine as possible, to spin it up and drive the compressor turbine that much harder.

Heat loss is the enemy in heat engines.

TimV 04-09-2014 11:56 AM

What product should i use to wrapp the snail and the exhaust headers?
It should be something that can handle a lot of heat...

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-09-2014 07:26 PM

There are some thermal-insulation wrappers that you can use, such as that tape widely used to wrap the exhaust pipes in bobber motorcycles, but for the turbo there is nothing better than ceramic coating.