Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

some honda autos get better mileage than manuals?

I just noticed the website specs on the Honda Fit are 1mpg higher on the auto transmission than manual, and the Civic Sedan auto does 1mpg lower in the city, but higher on the highway compared to manual.

(EDIT: links to Honda spec pages removed cuz I is uber n00b)

Porque?

This seems to go against the conventional wisdom that manuals are more efficient. Is this mathematical fudgery or some new technology?

Thanks,
Wagmore

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagmore View Post
I just noticed the website specs on the Honda Fit are 1mpg higher on the auto transmission than manual, and the Civic Sedan auto does 1mpg lower in the city, but higher on the highway compared to manual.

(EDIT: links to Honda spec pages removed cuz I is uber n00b)

Porque?

This seems to go against the conventional wisdom that manuals are more efficient. Is this mathematical fudgery or some new technology?

Thanks,
Wagmore
Auto gearboxes have improved significantly...and also, manual gearboxes are often geared a little different (to be "sporty"). So on the EPA cycle, the autos are often rated equal to or better than the manual for the same car.

An aggressive hypermiler will probably do better with a manual than an auto, but I think the EPA cycle plays to the averages.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkp1187 For This Useful Post:
wagmore (04-30-2010)
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Many new autos, next to 'eco' and 'sport' modes, also have a 'manual' mode, allowing the driver to pick gears. I'd like to see a test between 'normal', 'eco' and 'manual' modes.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wagmoe, Welcome to the place as well.

Cheers , Peter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter7307 For This Useful Post:
wagmore (04-30-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I'd like to see a true 6-speed mechanical gear box that automatically "shifted" between gears using hydraulics and simultaneously used a ferro-fluid (electromagnetic) "clutch"--both under computer control, ie: an automatic gear box!

...no 'planetary' sun gears or 'clutching' "bands" for me!

...I want solid "metal-on-metal" gears and 100% solid electro-fluid-mechanical "torque" lockup!

P.S.--Corvette already uses ferro-fluid viscus coupling for variable, while-driving, control of shock absorber response.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Auto gearboxes have improved significantly...and also, manual gearboxes are often geared a little different (to be "sporty"). So on the EPA cycle, the autos are often rated equal to or better than the manual for the same car.

An aggressive hypermiler will probably do better with a manual than an auto, but I think the EPA cycle plays to the averages.
Thanks for the input!

Looking at all the big car manufacturers' websites these days, I'm amazed how few new models can even claim to beat the mileage of my fifteen-year-old Passat.

We like our luxury and performance now, but we'll pay for it later.

Wagmore
Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I agree with jpk1187 about the gearing. If the gearing in the autos and the manuals were the same, the manuals would win out. that being said, automatics have come a long way from the days when a 4 speed automatic was something to be shocked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
If you're interested in achieving highest mpg, get the manual. I'd amend jpk1187's statement to say an aggressive hypermiler will always do better with a manual than an auto. Unless/until they invent an auto that locks up in all gears, allows EOC, is geared better for highway cruising than the equivalent manual, is equally reliable, and doesn't have a premium price tag.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 05-01-2010 at 02:19 AM..
Old 05-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Something I've always wondered about is why couldn't a manual clutch be fitted to an automatic transmission? You'd have to use the clutch as in a manual car, but the shifts would be automatic and you could take advantage of the better ratios. What energy losses are there in the auto other than having to pump the fluid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...I'd like to see a true 6-speed mechanical gear box that automatically "shifted" between gears using hydraulics and simultaneously used a ferro-fluid (electromagnetic) "clutch"--both under computer control, ie: an automatic gear box!

...no 'planetary' sun gears or 'clutching' "bands" for me!

...I want solid "metal-on-metal" gears and 100% solid electro-fluid-mechanical "torque" lockup!

P.S.--Corvette already uses ferro-fluid viscus coupling for variable, while-driving, control of shock absorber response.
That's what the Ford PowerShift 6 speed automatic is. It's an electronically clutched and shifted 6 speed dual-clutch manual gearbox. No Torque Converter, no ATF - just gears.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nevyn For This Useful Post:
Lokalazeros (05-01-2010)
Reply  Post New Thread