EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   "TireBlast TM" Canadian tire verging on unicornian claims (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tireblast-tm-canadian-tire-verging-unicornian-claims-18064.html)

orange4boy 07-06-2011 07:46 PM

"TireBlast TM" Canadian tire verging on unicornian claims

Nitrogen tire inflation
Improves fuel economy
Increases tire life
Less loss of tire pressure helps prevent uneven tire wear
Reduces wheel corrosion
Tires run cooler adding tire life

Then they sum it all up in a sentence just for "clarity"

"Nitrogen tire filling will increase safety and reduce operating costs, while improving the performance of the vehicle."

$6.95 per tire.

All that for just 6.95? Such a bargain!!1! So how to they get all the old horrible wasteful regular 78% nitrogen air out completely? They must pull a 100% vacuum before right? right?

The biggest reason they left out: Avoid those terrible tire fires you have heard so much about.

Anyone wish to do the cost/benefit analysis and return period?

TheEnemy 07-06-2011 09:25 PM

For the same price, and can fill several tires.

Amazon.com: Q Industries HV35 SuperFlow 12-Volt 140 PSI Air Compressor: Automotive

And works anywhere you have your car.

t vago 07-06-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEnemy (Post 248795)
For the same price, and can fill several tires.

Amazon.com: Q Industries HV35 SuperFlow 12-Volt 140 PSI Air Compressor: Automotive

And works anywhere you have your car.

But... but... but...

You'd be filling those tires with contaminated nitrogen! Ewwwww! :rolleyes:

Ryland 07-06-2011 11:20 PM

It's dry nitrogen tho, after all on average the air going in to your engine as as much water in it as gasoline as it enters the combustion chamber, so while I question if it's worth the cost, it does have an affect, airplanes use nitrogen in their tires to keep them stable, of course your car is not seeing the changes an airplane sees.

mcrews 07-07-2011 12:14 AM

On my last set of tires, I had Radial Tire Store of Sacramento, put nitro in the tires. we had discussed it half way thru my last set and he said that it really needs to be done when the new tire is installed.
I run 44psi w nitro and the psi fluctuates 1psi (the Q45 has psi senors. In the past it was as much as 4psi different hot and cold.
The trip that is documented in my signature (third link) was my first ever over 30mpg.
I reallt thing the nitro played a role in that.

orange4boy 07-07-2011 02:08 AM

Really, though, the slightly increased stability of psi may really be the only material advantage. So if your peak psi is a bit higher without the nitrogen it's not going to be doing you $27.80 plus tax better any time soon.

Gotta love the ill chosen name: TireBlast. Heh heh.

"Neglect your tire pressure even more with TireBast!"

War_Wagon 07-07-2011 02:34 AM

Though you are all missing the major benefit of the nitrogen filling - the green valve stem caps you get!

CapriRacer 07-07-2011 06:46 AM

Barry's Tire Tech

t vago 07-07-2011 09:50 AM

http://kalecoauto.com/images/air.jpg

Joenavy85 07-07-2011 10:35 AM

^^^ they probably make a killing off of that stuff. I can do the same thing by using an air compressor and paying attention to the pressure by checking it weekly.

rmay635703 07-08-2011 12:50 PM

Every mid 90's Ford Exploder came with these tires from the factory, tireblast indeed.

mcrews 07-08-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 249145)
Every mid 90's Ford Exploder came with these tires from the factory, tireblast indeed.

now that is what I call subtle humor!!!:thumbup:

UFO 07-08-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 248826)
On my last set of tires, I had Radial Tire Store of Sacramento, put nitro in the tires. we had discussed it half way thru my last set and he said that it really needs to be done when the new tire is installed.
I run 44psi w nitro and the psi fluctuates 1psi (the Q45 has psi senors. In the past it was as much as 4psi different hot and cold.
The trip that is documented in my signature (third link) was my first ever over 30mpg.
I reallt thing the nitro played a role in that.

There must be another explanation. Does anyone really think more pure N2 is exempt from Boyle's law?

CapriRacer 07-08-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 249150)
......Does anyone really think more pure N2 is exempt from Boyle's law?

Boyle? Wasn't he that guy who played Frakensteen? I didn't vote for him, so why is he making laws?

UFO 07-08-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapriRacer (Post 249157)
Boyle? Wasn't he that guy who played Frakensteen? I didn't vote for him, so why is he making laws?

LOL.

Quote:

Boyle's law (sometimes referred to as the Boyle-Mariotte law) is one of many gas laws and a special case of the ideal gas law. Boyle's law describes the inversely proportional relationship between the absolute pressure and volume of a gas, if the temperature is kept constant within a closed system.[1][2] The law was named after chemist and physicist Robert Boyle, who published the original law in 1662.[3] The law itself can be stated as follows:

For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, P [pressure] and V [volume] are inversely proportional (while one doubles, the other halves).
I guess in this case, the temperature varies with a more-or-less fixed volume, so the pressure is proportional to temperature.

TheEnemy 07-08-2011 06:00 PM

P*V=n*R*T

P: Pressure
V: Volume
n: the ammount of molecules of gas
R: 8.3144621 (gas constant which is the same for all gasses)
T: Temperature

The above equation says that no matter the gas for a given change in temperature their will be the same change in pressure given a fixed volume.

Quote:

He was making laws before you were born.

TheEnemy 07-08-2011 06:05 PM

Tell you what I'll sell you a filter that will filter the nitrogen, for $200.

It will pay for itself in less than 10 fillings.

disclaimer: depending on atomspheric conditions the concentration will vary

t vago 07-08-2011 06:32 PM

I have been giving this some thought, and while I agree that it shouldn't really matter what gases are used (air vs N2) to inflate tires, I do think that not enough attention is paid to water.

That's right - water. If humid air is used to inflate tires, then it is possible for the evaporated water to condense out as the tire cools (especially if the tire is initially inflated during periods of warm weather, and then that same tire is used throughout winter). Such condensation will significantly affect tire pressures. That would explain why mcrews saw his tire pressures vary as significantly as they did before he used N2.

rmay635703 07-08-2011 09:32 PM

I say fill your tires up with pure carbon monoxide, it would virtually eliminate oxidation issues.

t vago 07-08-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 249261)
I say fill your tires up with pure carbon monoxide, it would virtually eliminate oxidation issues.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DnpFL2SAb6...s1600/Coma.jpg

Joenavy85 07-09-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 249145)

I looked through the rest of the thread twice, once to read the posts to see what was said, and another specifically looking to see if anyone asked for clarification on your post.

mcrews 07-09-2011 07:12 AM

tires blew up....big lawsuit

Joenavy85 07-09-2011 07:25 AM

oh, I know what he meant, I was curious if anybody wasn't sure of what he meant. I know all about the BS/FS tire fiasco

CapriRacer 07-09-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joenavy85 (Post 249333)
oh, I know what he meant, I was curious if anybody wasn't sure of what he meant. I know all about the BS/FS tire fiasco

I found it kind of funny that TheEnemy and UFO posted info about the Ideal Gas Law when I reference that as well as Dalton's law in the earlier link! I am hoping they were doing that for others who don't know about Boyle and Charles, etc.

oil pan 4 07-17-2011 02:45 PM

I tried testing nitrogen tire claims back in 2007 since I have access to nitrogen for filling paint ball tanks. A quick trip to ebay and northern tool and a week later I had all the parts assembled to turn a paint ball tank into a fairly dangerous tire filler.
After a month of adding T&P tire data to fuel economy followed by another 5 weeks of nitrogen tire data.
The claims:
Improves fuel economy
Increases tire life
Less loss of tire pressure helps prevent uneven tire wear
Reduces wheel corrosion
Tires run cooler adding tire life

My results:
"Improves fuel economy" No difference what so ever.
"Increases tire life" no way to duplicate in aloted time. But I do nitrogen fill my trailer tires and keep them covered to try and ward off dry rot.
"Less loss of tire pressure helps prevent uneven tire wear" Tire pressure varration was the same as with air. Tire leak down with the same as with air as far as I could tell in a standard 32psi tire.
"Reduces wheel corrosion" The wheels on my car were 22 years old at the time and there was no corrosion on the inside. Air works fine.
"Tires run cooler adding tire life" Seemed to run just as hot as air as tested with my inferred temperature scanner.

When I return to newmexico I may try filling tires with Helium.
Not expecting a MPG improvemnent but Helium transfers heat at something like 6 time the rate of air or nitrogen. It might help them run cooler.

wdb 07-17-2011 03:37 PM

*confused* If the gas doesn't matter, why do NASCAR and aircraft use nitrogen?

I saw a unicorn once. Maybe that's why I'm confused...

oil pan 4 07-17-2011 05:45 PM

Air craft use nitrogen because its dry and they cant have water vapor freezing inside the tire when its -40'F and for fire safty.
Same thing with nascar, but fire safty only.
Years ago they used air.

On a side note, I read that Lexus rolled cars to the dealerships with tires filled with argon. Reason for doing this?
To further dampen road noise. (it seems to work in between window glass panes)
I may test this one out, get my girlfriends Iphone and one of those free sound meter apps and do a before and after test. All I have to do is devise a way to get the argon from my welding bottle to the tire.

TheEnemy 07-17-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapriRacer (Post 249338)
I found it kind of funny that TheEnemy and UFO posted info about the Ideal Gas Law when I reference that as well as Dalton's law in the earlier link! I am hoping they were doing that for others who don't know about Boyle and Charles, etc.

I did it because I figured many would be too lazy to follow an read your link.

CapriRacer 07-18-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 250792)
........Same thing with NASCAR, but fire safety only.......

Sorry, but race cars use to for the "dry air" properties. Pressure build up is a little more consistent, so handling is more consistent.

Ragnarok Warrior 01-17-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 250792)
All I have to do is devise a way to get the argon from my welding bottle to the tire.

Our nitrogen fill "station" at work is just a bottle of nitrogen (exact same bottle that argon comes in). The only difference is that the flow valve is turned down quite a bit and at the end of the hose there is a tire chuck instead of a threaded nut to screw on to a welder.

Any new car that comes into the dealership that I work at is supposed to get Nitrogen fill for the pre delivery inspection. Do you know what this entails? Remove all four valve stems until the air stops pissing out. Refill with nitrogen and replace valve stem. Add the super cool green cap and BAM! You've just added $100 dollars to the cars value (meaning $100 dollars more in the dealer's pocket).

As has been mentioned, nitrogen's use in airplanes and race cars is for the expansion due to water vapor and to prevent tire fires, that is all.