Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Toast

I'm helping someone return an NHW11 to service. This is the original transaxle:

The original plan was to swap MG2 but considering the amount of smoke/varnish damage, I believe the whole transaxle must be changed. Every internal part and surface now has a layer of smoke/varnish and I don't know of any way to remove it short of chemical baths likely to destroy the remaining parts.

Bob Wilson

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

oh, wow, that is gross. oven cleaner? it would be pretty rough on the aluminum, though.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Hey Bob,

Yup. That is toast. There's no way to repair that. You can unwind it and sell the scrap copper for some decent cash.

Have you found a good replacement?

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Engineering first

The owner found a recent wreck in Nashville TN, severe right front body damage. He was able to drive it a bit which allowed verification the transaxle and inverter is still good. He has already removed the inverter to replace my spare which I'll pickup when I get my manuals and Graham miniscanner back along with some pig-tails for the inverter.

The plan is to strip the transaxle and I'll get the inverter pig-tails I've wanted. Then strip the rest of the donor car for parts (aka., eBay reselling.) The undamaged wheels, ECUs, accelerator assembly and other salvage parts can be resold over time to help defer costs.

One question we had was 'lift up' versus 'drop down' of the transaxle. If my re-reading of your thread is correct, you 'dropped' to remove and 'lift' to install?

He hadn't removed the drive shafts, yet, but I was wondering to what extent the shafts may be limiting his ability to lower the transaxle/engine assembly. Also, am I wrong to worry about the other engine motor mounts in this configuration?

The owner is chatting in "Prius_Technical_Stuff" but the lift-drop was a question I could not answer Sunday evening.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Engineering first

The owner has family and access to a garage with an engine lift. My understanding is both cars will be at the same place and the repairs handled there. <relief>

Yippie, another NHW11 will return to service!

Bob Wilson
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
The manual shows the engine and transaxle lifted as one up, out of the car. This may be simpler if you have all the equipment but it looked harder to me. more things to disconnect.

I dropped the transaxle on it's own out the bottom using a chain pulley mounted above the car. I found this better than a transaxle lift because a hanging object is very easy to manipulate. when it's sitting on a lift it's very difficult to adjust the tilt and alignment.

You do have to remove the driver side engine mount and support the engine so it does not sag down and damage the passenger side mount and exhaust connections. I put a jack under the oil sump to hold up the engine. You also need to make a simple bracket to bolt to the transaxle as a lifting point. you can remove a couple of housing bolts to attach it and I used a long heavy bolt insetred through the bracket to change the balance point which is a couple of inches to the right of the main housing seam.

I didn't have to remove the shock towers to get the drive shafts out. I just unbolted the spindles from the a-arms. This allows the spindles and shock towers to swing away as you pull out the drive shafts from the transaxle. Replace the seals while you have it apart so you don't end up with leaks there.

Hope this helps. I'm pretty busy but I will try to help when I can. Just in the middle of bidding on a house.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

The Following User Says Thank You to orange4boy For This Useful Post:
bwilson4web (06-07-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Engineering first

Hi,

I'm reposting here for any other NHW11 owners who may have a need or see a future need for parts from a crashed, NHW11 Prius. This car was used to get Stephen's 2002 Prius bought at auction back in operation.

About two months ago, Stephen bought a 2002 Prius at auction in Brimingham. However, the car had a bad 12V DC-to-DC inverter and a failing transaxle. Knowing nothing about the Prius, he drove the car over 100 miles back to Huntsville and around town before contacting me. Since then, I've been providing a spare inverter, technical advice, scanning, and loaned my maintenance manuals to help get his car back on the road.

Sad to say, another Nashville NHW11 was lost in a front-end accident and became available as a salvage. So Stephen got that car and brought it down to Huntsville. I'm replacing my spare inverter from that car and planning to get a few nick-nacks for 'experimental' purposes. <GRINS>

However, there are a lot of parts that folks may have an interest in before the shell is towed to the recyclers after this weekend:

--- In Prius_Technical_Stuff@yahoogroups.com, "sb" <somethingbeauty@...> wrote:
>
> Hooray! Trans-axle swap completed! I have posted 61 pics of
> the complete transaxle swap, however the pics are at random.
> I hope to make a nice step-by-step photo-story of the whole
> process, . . .

I had a chance to look at the donor vehicle and help in checking the codes.

> . . . However I still have the red triangle, which I
> believe diagnostics and code-reset will get rid of.

There is one interlock code, P3140 (?), so it make take a bit to check all the connectors to find it. There is also a "regenerative brake" code but I suspect this is a by-product of the interlock code. Once that is cleared, I suspect the car will be fully operational.

> . . . On the
> other hand I have the donor car minus transaxle and inverter,
> for parts, i will like to sell some parts cheap to recoup
> some of my expenses. any takers?

After a quick survey at lunch time, parts to consider:

o any of the control computers
o the encoder/decoder with matching key (possibly keyfob)
o accelerator pedal
o rear light assemblies
o traction battery
o throttle body including MAF
o three, full size wheels with nearly new tires (full size spare)
o interior seats, console, e.t.c.
o ABS brake assembly
o heater pump
o rear bumper cover (has three removable stickers)
o others (ask)

We'll probably descend on the car either Saturday or Sunday to strip the reusable parts. So this is a chance to get stuff that you may need now or may need in the future. Make Stephen an offer. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson
ps. Feel free to post with the usual suspects.

Reply  Post New Thread