EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Today is World Carfree Day! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/today-world-carfree-day-10286.html)

Piwoslaw 09-22-2009 02:54 AM

Today is World Carfree Day!

September 22 is World Carfree Day :)
Today leave the rustbucket at home and walk, bike or take public transport to work. This is better for the environment, healthier for us, and much more social, since sitting in your car doesn't give you a chance to meet new people.

Here in Warsaw anyone who shows their car's documents (meaning they left it at home) can ride the bus, tram and subway for free. Plus, there will be more bus lanes on the streets, leaving less lanes for cars. On Saturday and Sunday we had Public Transport Weekend, with antique trams and busses on the streets.

How does your city/area celebrate Carfree Day?

cfg83 09-22-2009 03:34 AM

Piwoslaw -

Arf. If I had known this, maybe I would have taken a vacation day. It would take me 2.5 hours to get to work on public transit, so I will be in violation, :( .

CarloSW2

Piwoslaw 09-22-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 129051)
It would take me 2.5 hours to get to work on public transit, so I will be in violation, :( .

My Wife's work is only 8.5km from home in a straight line, but since it's on the other side of the river, the shortest route is 22km. It takes her 50 minutes to get there by bike, 20-40 minutes by car and 1-2 hours by public transport. She bikes whenever she can, but that's only when it's warm and dry, and usually not more than 2-3 times a week. On the other hand, public transport in her case means train plus two busses, which means lots of time wasted just waiting. But for most of the year, public transport is her only option.

BTW: Dad-in-law decided to celebrate today's Carfree Day by getting into his car and driving to a store that he could get to by bus in 15-20 minutes, for free.

robchalmers 09-22-2009 07:11 AM

Only found out when i got to work..... in my car - if I'd know I'd have taken the train/bike. I takes me 50mins in the car and 75ish on the bike and train. the main reason i don't do the bike thing more often is the cost of public transport here in the UK is a joke. even if you a regular user. I asked about discounts the other day:

" are you disabled?" nope
"are you retired?" nope
" are you a student?" er no
" will you be taking any children with you?" .............................no

so if you're a person of working age, commuting to a job on ya own you might aswell grab you ankles

captainslug 09-22-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 129046)
healthier for us

I think you're forgetting how dirty buses can be.

Piwoslaw 09-22-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainslug (Post 129063)
I think you're forgetting how dirty buses can be.

But is a dirty bus with 40-60 people in it worse than 30-50 cars, some of them SUV's, even if all of them are new and 'clean'?

captainslug 09-22-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 129075)
But is a dirty bus with 40-60 people in it worse than 30-50 cars, some of them SUV's, even if all of them are new and 'clean'?

I meant on the inside.

Day is moot for me anyways because I don't even own a vehicle with 4 wheels.

Piwoslaw 09-21-2010 04:20 PM

Bumping this thread as a reminder...

You're getting sleepy. Do as I tell you. Leave your car at home tomorrow. Car = bad. No car, no.

Phantom 09-22-2010 10:40 AM

I wish I could but it would take 40min to bike (many hills), 7min drive to the Park and ride (no bus stop by my house) then 10min to work, or 13min drive to work. School is another case to bike I would have to go over 2.5x the distance than to drive and I would have to leave work 30min earlier from work to take the bus and get there at about the same time as driving.

At least my fiancée is able to use the bus how most of her trips from school to work and back. (she lives in a different city for school)

robchalmers 09-22-2010 11:23 AM

I forgot this year... drove to work in the polo and have been driving 620bhp, 4wd, twin turbo 6 litre 200+MPH supercars all afternoon - not 'on message' here :(

Sorry, I\'ll set a reminder on my outlook for next year