EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   torque converter lockup button theory (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/torque-converter-lockup-button-theory-10093.html)

IsaacCarlson 09-09-2009 04:06 PM

torque converter lockup button theory

What if i installed a momentary lockup button and just held the button on accel. and then let the converter stay locked up on its own at cruizing speed? My book says the converter unlocks when no gas/decelerating so that explains why i can coast almost as well in gear as i can in Neut. I can actually feel it lock back up when i put my foot back on the gas.(feels like a little "tap"). please let me know if i have someting wrong but it seems to work in my head.....:turtle:

micondie 09-09-2009 07:39 PM

The only potential problem I can see is your computer. You would have to have a double throw switch, wired so that your transmission would either be getting voltage from your computer or your other source with no voltage going to the computer. I don't know if this would damage the computer but it would probably set a code.

wagonman76 09-10-2009 12:50 AM

Yes you would have to work around the computer. The 3800/4T60E compares RPM with road speed and is pretty sensitive to any discrepancies between the two. If the TCC even slips when it shouldn't, it throws a code and locks you out of TCC and OD till you shut it off and restart.

IsaacCarlson 09-10-2009 09:52 AM

how can the comp. lock me out if i an using manual switches?

I found out the shift solenoid sequence for shifting:
GEAR SOL#1 SOL#2
1st on on
2nd off on
3rd off off
4th on off

And the PWM solenoid controls how hard/soft the engagement/release is so it makes my TCC wear faster!!!!

I am not going to ask if there is a way because i know there is. HOW do i disable the PWM solenoid or at least make it firmer?

I am planning on using a rotary switch for shifting and a button/switch combo for TCC. please help

orange4boy 09-11-2009 03:03 PM

This is where I found the info for my shift project.

The Free Mod Series: Part VIII Electronic Transmission Controller - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

The concepts are the same for most ECT's You might need to change the wiring of the switches if the shift pattern is different and the resistors based on the resistance of your solenoids under load. I imagine that its similar though.

Peter7307 09-11-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson (Post 126842)
What if i installed a momentary lockup button and just held the button on accel. and then let the converter stay locked up on its own at cruizing speed?

IsaacCarlson,
T/C lock up clutches are not designed to transmit the full torque of the engine which is why they only lock up at cruise.

A lock up clutch is around the edge of the T/C and is much smaller than a convention clutch in a manual (stick) shift gearbox.

Your lock up clutch may have a short life if you do as you are planning.

Pete.

Christ 09-11-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter7307 (Post 127302)
IsaacCarlson,
T/C lock up clutches are not designed to transmit the full torque of the engine which is why they only lock up at cruise.

A lock up clutch is around the edge of the T/C and is much smaller than a convention clutch in a manual (stick) shift gearbox.

Your lock up clutch may have a short life if you do as you are planning.

Pete.

How often have you heard of a hypermiler driving while using the full torque potential of the engine? I mean, seriously... besides that, I know several drag racers that use the TCC lock manually, and haven't smoked it yet. They're putting a lot more force against it than we are, so I think we're safe.