EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Town of Weston Harrasses Residents Flys drones to photograph long grass to fine. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/town-weston-harrasses-residents-flys-drones-photograph-long-36749.html)

rmay635703 08-24-2018 09:18 PM

Town of Weston Harrasses Residents Flys drones to photograph long grass to fine.

The town of Weston is harassing my 71 year old mother who has cancer and is crippled up with pain, over my deceased fathers cars.

See if I can get some local folks pissed again to lean on them.
https://wausau.craigslist.org/rnr/d/...680210395.html

They all have plates, inflated tires and are on gravel.
Some are weekend cars but nothing that would be easily sold in this area.

As usual it started when they saw me at her home doing some yard work for her I did not realize it was a board member at my neighbors party and she started pretending to be interested in one of my fathers micro cars then started ridiculing me that I need to sell it, even though the titles not in my name and such a car can only be sold far south as there is zero interest here in truck land.

I was too dumbfounded to make it clear I don’t live here and I don’t own the cars as I didn’t realize this was an a hole from the town.

My mother then got a letter the next day stating Bruce May... (who is deceased) that said red car didn’t have plates(which is false), was parked on grass (it’s not) stated she had weeds in the gravel (who cares), weeds in her blacktop, and per aerial photos she had weeds growing and she has 7 days to get rid of the cars and only park on blacktop and only keep all cars in the garage (of which she has no room and has never kept cars in there)

In the past when my father was alive they were harassing my folks and stated they would remove, crush and fine
my father said that’s fine but your gonna get a broken nose and knocked on your ass. He was then told he would go to jail and he said the $50 fine and 30 days would be worth it.

After that they got a few years free of harassment .

Just curious they have always parked outside in the gravel, the cars have plates and drones documenting weeds on the side of the garage seems like it should be illegal. The state of the property has been the same since the early 70’s before there were any laws on any of these matters.

I likely will be unable to sell the cars in under 7 days working 60 hours a week in a different area for more than $50, local junkyard says they will take them but can’t pay anything.

My past experience selling cars
When I tried to sell my 2010 Cobalt and 2001 Dodge crew on Craigslist, I started at blue book and over the months worked my way down and finally stopped at $500 with no takers, out of curiosity I asked the junkyard and they offered $500 each.

I ended up keeping them because of this,
my mom apparently doesn’t have this option which seems pathetic

oil pan 4 08-24-2018 09:39 PM

Try craigslist and face book yard sales.
If you got anything weird, ebay.
Or find a local auction to take them too, people will buy anything at auctions.

rmay635703 08-24-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 577058)
Try craigslist and face book yard sales.
If you got anything weird, ebay.
Or find a local auction to take them too, people will buy anything at auctions.

Craigslist doesn’t work, tried it in the past and of the 2 people that respond ed it was $50 offers

redpoint5 08-24-2018 10:58 PM

The town is harassing her, or the HOA? Is there really a whole town that is run like an HOA? Airspace is open to anyone, though I wouldn't be surprised if the laws change in the near future. The strange thing is the law also says you own the airspace above your property to infinity.

I'd leave any bleep-hole place that doesn't let you live free on your own property.

You might get some sympathy if you just tell the people to take it up with Bruce, and then wait for them to realize he is dead.

I've had perfect luck selling cars on Craigslist. Might be difficult in 7 days, but if the price is right someone will take it.

rmay635703 08-24-2018 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 577062)
The town is harassing her, or the HOA? Is there really a whole town that is run like an HOA? Airspace is open to anyone, though I wouldn't be surprised if the laws change in the near future. The strange thing is the law also says you own the airspace above your property to infinity.

I'd leave any bleep-hole place that doesn't let you live free on your own property.

You might get some sympathy if you just tell the people to take it up with Bruce, and then wait for them to realize he is dead.

I've had perfect luck selling cars on Craigslist. Might be difficult in 7 days, but if the price is right someone will take it.

Nope not a HOA

I don’t live there because of it, Weston sucks, bunch of dbags incorporated a portion of the town into a village which happened to include my folks house which used to be somewhat rural
They proceeded to make a bunch of unelected $100,000+ a year beautification jobs whose job is to inspect properties and as far as I can tell they just harass people for a living.

One guy down the road that kept doing car repairs in his driveway sold his house because of the harassing.

I tried selling the car in question once while my father was alive and I got 2 replies offering $50, the body alone down south would sell for a couple grand.
I tried listing it on the club and I just got the your too far away response.

Ah well, I don’t want to spend $100+ a month on storage either (if I can even find one open)

Bleh,

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-25-2018 12:11 AM

Can't you take some legal action against those smugs?

rmay635703 08-25-2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 577067)
Can't you take some legal action against those smugs?

Remember this is the town board that spent a $100000 to prosecute an 80 year old Vietnam vet for haveing a Sunday morning fruit stand in the lot of a local restaurant that was closed Sundays

He was there since the 1970’s

The town didn’t “win” per se but even though he lasted quite a while both him and the restaurant went out of business due to the cost of legal BS

redpoint5 08-25-2018 01:45 AM

Kinda wish I lived there now. I'd be as obnoxious as possible within the rules of the town. Noise at the maximum level until the maximum time, signs in my yard exposing the dirt on those who harass, etc. Nobody can out PITA me. Nobody.

redneck 08-25-2018 03:55 AM

How many cars are we talking about ?

Post the letter. Redact if necessary so we can see it.

Start legal procedure against town. Minimal cost, probably just a filing fee. Then keep delaying and postponing proceedings on your side to buy time while you figure what to do with the cars.

Maybe put up a wood privacy fence ?

Put cars under a Pop up canopy with sides ?

Push them all together and cover with a tarp(s).

Put up No Trespassing signs.

Fly your own drone over their property repeatedly while they're home and state that it's to see if they are in compliance and that you're only doing it for the good of the community. ;)

Don't throw the towel in yet...

>

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-25-2018 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 577074)
Remember this is the town board that spent a $100000 to prosecute an 80 year old Vietnam vet for haveing a Sunday morning fruit stand in the lot of a local restaurant that was closed Sundays

He was there since the 1970’s

I didn't even know that city exists. But anyway, your mother is not doing anything wrong, and I guess the parked cars are not a public health hazard.

oil pan 4 08-25-2018 05:08 AM

What is the local craigslist?
Maybe there are just a crap load of fakes and no one takes it seriously there.

Xist 08-25-2018 05:54 AM

Good luck!

Fat Charlie 08-25-2018 10:43 AM

Don't forget to put a no trespassing sign facing straight up.

Vman455 08-25-2018 02:01 PM

So, the complaints from the village are:
-unregistered car(s)
-car(s) parked on gravel
-weeds

I scanned through the Weston ordinance on property maintenance, Chapter 50. It specifically prohibits "noxious weeds" 12 times, and general "weeds" 6. Curiously, the remedy specified in the ordinance for weed overgrowth is mowing by the village weed commissioner, so I would recommend telling them, if they think a few weeds constitute an "accumulation" (their word), they're welcome to send the weed commissioner by to mow. I'm sure he has nothing better to do.

As far as the cars, documentation of the registration should satisfy them that the red car is licensed. There's nothing in their ordinances about parking on grass vs. gravel vs. blacktop, but there is a provision which requires unregistered or inoperable cars be stored in a building:

Sec. 50.105. Accumulation of used motor vehicles.

No person, except a person licensed under Sec. 18.131(a) or a licensee of a motor vehicle dealer's license issued under statute, shall accumulate or store or allow to remain outside of any building on real estate located within the Village for a period of more than ten days...any used motor vehicle, as defined by statute, or any detached part thereof, for which no current registration fee has been paid under statute or which, if paid, does not have properly attached thereto under statute a current license plate, if required, and which is in a condition which would mechanically prevent the immediate operation thereof upon any public highway or its operation thereon would be in violation of the law.

So, if all these cars are registered and operable, they can't prevent your mother from parking them outside on her property. Tell them to pound sand.

jcp123 08-25-2018 08:59 PM

My brother in law was forced to have a licensed electrician run the wiring to his above-ground pool (for the filter and such) after a neighbor complained. The electrical was the only thing the city inspector could really "get him" on. He disassembles it every winter, so he has to get an electrician back out every summer when the pool goes back up.

Gotta love cities.

Xist 08-26-2018 12:26 AM

JCP, do they have a fence? It sounds like he can complain of a peeping Tom. "Why is my neighbor watching my kids in swimsuits?"

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-26-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp123 (Post 577125)
My brother in law was forced to have a licensed electrician run the wiring to his above-ground pool (for the filter and such) after a neighbor complained. The electrical was the only thing the city inspector could really "get him" on.

I have never seen such degree of bureaucracy, unless it involved either some major refurbishment or an entirely new building that would require someone to be held technically responsible.

jcp123 08-27-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 577140)
JCP, do they have a fence? It sounds like he can complain of a peeping Tom. "Why is my neighbor watching my kids in swimsuits?"

Nah it's one of those weird neighborhoods where everyone has chain link fence.

cajunfj40 08-27-2018 05:58 PM

Try BringATrailer.com

Hello rmay635703,

Sounds like your Mom and you have a dilemma, of the obnoxious, officious sort! I empathize, having a bit of an "extra vehicle" problem of my own.

The ordinance itself sounds like, as Vman455 pointed out, there's nothing your mother's actually in violation of - if every vehicle can currently be walked up to, unlocked, sat in, started, and driven off the lot immediately without incurring any potential legal problems. IE, they must be insured and registered, batteries charged, tires full, gas in tank, adequate tune, etc.

The only reason I mention all the nitty-gritty specifics is that the way the law is worded, an officious jerk and a flat battery/tire/other could ruin y'all's day SO easy, so unfortunately, I would advise treading lightly.

As mentioned by Vman455, proof of current registration/title/etc. should satisfy the Red Car complaint. Hiring a neighbor kid or whoever mows it now to weed-whack once a week should handle the weed complaint. I hate to suggest a lot of work, as you don't have the time and your Mom doesn't have the ability. Plus, it might just whet these officious jerks' appetites. Best bet would probably be the grapevine - folks who know your Mom and/or knew your Dad could have one or more of the more amenable board members over for coffee/beer/other and try to butter them up a bit. I didn't see the Craigslist post before it was deleted, so I don't know what was tried already, but kind of in the vein of trying to get the jerks to "lay off the old lady, eh?"

For a longer-term thing, maybe try and get folks there interested in something like this anti-drone ordinance. (PDF) Might help cut back on the overflight issues.

If you want to begin the process of getting the cars sold, I would contact the folks at bringatrailer.com about it. They mostly run auctions now, rather than just feature interesting stuff anymore. If you can write an interesting little paragraph about each one - or the whole lot of them - and include a bit about "save them from the crusher!!!", they'd probably eat that up. That site has featured all sorts of interesting cars, and a trove of microcars that run and are registered and have titles - and are willing to sell at no reserve, buyer pickup - would probably get them interested. Bonus points for showing up in the auction thread to answer questions, tell stories, etc. That quip about your Dad saying the $50 fine would be worth it is gold! Their FAQ is here. From that FAQ, it seems that a lot of good photos and information up front is really good. Sounds like they get back to you in 2 business days from submission, then you pay the $99 and they pair you up with one of their folks to write the auction copy. Once you approve the copy, it goes up in about 2 weeks, and the auction lasts 7 days. No idea how they handle collections if other than a "per car" basis. Never used them, actually kind of annoyed that they've gone mostly auctions these days, but it's the first place I thought of for "how to sell a neat car that is unfortunately too far from it's target sale environment without a lot of effort." They could be jerks, I dunno, but I've seen a lot of neat stuff on there.

Best of luck to you and your Mom.

If they yank the cars/fine your Mom/other crap, let us know.

We can get creative.

redpoint5 08-27-2018 06:36 PM

Just throwing this out there, but what about Mom downsizing? Seems people should live in places that are manageable to them. The extra money from downsizing may come in handy for her, or if money isn't the issue, then she should be able to hire someone to maintain the property.

Easier said than done I'm sure. My grandparent(s) can't manage anything, yet would rather live in squalor than change anything at all about their living situation, including their routines. My grandfather died last year, and now my grandmother has 2 Chevy pickups (S-10 and new Colorado), plus a Cadillac and a Buick, all of which she is incapable of driving. She doesn't need the money and would probably be violently opposed to the idea of selling anything.

I've initiated the process of getting rid of the junk on my parents property because I don't want to deal with it all when they are unable to. My dad is a mild hoarder (he might be able to use that someday). I'm prone to hoarding things of potential use and especially of sentimental value.

jcp123 08-27-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 577274)
Just throwing this out there, but what about Mom downsizing? Seems people should live in places that are manageable to them. The extra money from downsizing may come in handy for her, or if money isn't the issue, then she should be able to hire someone to maintain the property.

Easier said than done I'm sure. My grandparent(s) can't manage anything, yet would rather live in squalor than change anything at all about their living situation, including their routines. My grandfather died last year, and now my grandmother has 2 Chevy pickups (S-10 and new Colorado), plus a Cadillac and a Buick, all of which she is incapable of driving. She doesn't need the money and would probably be violently opposed to the idea of selling anything.

I've initiated the process of getting rid of the junk on my parents property because I don't want to deal with it all when they are unable to. My dad is a mild hoarder (he might be able to use that someday). I'm prone to hoarding things of potential use and especially of sentimental value.

My parents did this a few years ago. 2800sf house plus 8 acres purchased cash via their profit on a Silicon Valley house turned into renting the other side of my mother in law's duplex.

Gone is the big pickup, Airstream trailer, tractor. Once I married and had a family it was untenable for my Pa to maintain the property.

aerohead 09-04-2018 05:45 PM

grass

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 577057)
The town of Weston is harassing my 71 year old mother who has cancer and is crippled up with pain, over my deceased fathers cars.

See if I can get some local folks pissed again to lean on them.
https://wausau.craigslist.org/rnr/d/...680210395.html

They all have plates, inflated tires and are on gravel.
Some are weekend cars but nothing that would be easily sold in this area.

As usual it started when they saw me at her home doing some yard work for her I did not realize it was a board member at my neighbors party and she started pretending to be interested in one of my fathers micro cars then started ridiculing me that I need to sell it, even though the titles not in my name and such a car can only be sold far south as there is zero interest here in truck land.

I was too dumbfounded to make it clear I don’t live here and I don’t own the cars as I didn’t realize this was an a hole from the town.

My mother then got a letter the next day stating Bruce May... (who is deceased) that said red car didn’t have plates(which is false), was parked on grass (it’s not) stated she had weeds in the gravel (who cares), weeds in her blacktop, and per aerial photos she had weeds growing and she has 7 days to get rid of the cars and only park on blacktop and only keep all cars in the garage (of which she has no room and has never kept cars in there)

In the past when my father was alive they were harassing my folks and stated they would remove, crush and fine
my father said that’s fine but your gonna get a broken nose and knocked on your ass. He was then told he would go to jail and he said the $50 fine and 30 days would be worth it.

After that they got a few years free of harassment .

Just curious they have always parked outside in the gravel, the cars have plates and drones documenting weeds on the side of the garage seems like it should be illegal. The state of the property has been the same since the early 70’s before there were any laws on any of these matters.

I likely will be unable to sell the cars in under 7 days working 60 hours a week in a different area for more than $50, local junkyard says they will take them but can’t pay anything.

My past experience selling cars
When I tried to sell my 2010 Cobalt and 2001 Dodge crew on Craigslist, I started at blue book and over the months worked my way down and finally stopped at $500 with no takers, out of curiosity I asked the junkyard and they offered $500 each.

I ended up keeping them because of this,
my mom apparently doesn’t have this option which seems pathetic

In Lubbock,Texas,they send a contractor out to mow the yard,then slap a lien on the property.Very Christian of them!

jcp123 09-06-2018 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 578049)
In Lubbock,Texas,they send a contractor out to mow the yard,then slap a lien on the property.Very Christian of them!

Ha! Yes, so Christian. Also seems equally Texan.

That's why my wife's desire to move to Western NY seems slightly less unattractive than it used to: a-holes, elected or not, exist everywhere.

It's funny, I grew up in California and I don't remember vindictive people...then again, my time there was up at age 20, so maybe I just didn't notice. I was a far different human then.

Lemmy 09-07-2018 03:19 AM

Doesn't the 4th Ammendment guarantee your Ma's privacy? Surely farting about with a drone breaches that? Would it not also qualify as an illegal search of her property? I'd be half inclined to shoot the chuffing thing down.