EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Toyota screwed me, need advice (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/toyota-screwed-me-need-advice-20555.html)

BackroadBomber 02-14-2012 08:12 PM

Toyota screwed me, need advice

Well, when I bought my 2011 Tacoma brand new, obviously I had fuel efficiency in mind. So of course I had my salesman find me a truck with as low of axle gears as possible, 3.31's to be exact. Now I've owned this truck for a year, and I'm getting under 23 mpg average. Which seems kinda funny cuz There's people on Tacoma world.com who are getting up to 27 mpg with their 2wd trucks. Seems to me that a big difference for a few hundred pounds worth of 4wd parts. So it dawned on me that maybe my salesman lied to me. 2200 rpm at 60mph seems kinda high, anyways. So I checked the sticker in my door jam. Yep, 3.31's just like I was told. I checked about 4 web sites and they all said the same thing. So I just forgot about it untill tonight. I was.thinking about it so i sat down with a calculator and figured it out the hard way. 5280 feet in a mile divided by tire circumference in feet, times axle ratio times 5the gear ratio = engine speed, right? Well apparently I'm supposed to be at just around 1770 rpm's at 60. Did a little more digging online and found out that several people are noticing their door jam sticker is wrong. Apparently since 05 every single regular cab 4cyl 4wd Tacoma came with 4.10s, it was the only option, which if I do my math the same appears to be what I've got in my truck. So now I'm stuck paying 20k for a tiny little truck when I could be driving an f150 with a v6 and get the same mileage. I have no idea what to do about it. Obviously I'm extremely angry, and I'm not willing to shell out almost $1000 to have a gear swap done. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what I should do, before I go to the dealership and start screaming untill I'm Physically removed. Because its taking all I have not to.

Patrick 02-14-2012 08:42 PM

Call the national number and ask them about it.

niky 02-14-2012 09:44 PM

If you complain that they lied about the option, and that your purchase hinged upon the gear ratio, then maybe... just maybe... they'll swap it for free.

sgtlethargic 02-14-2012 09:48 PM

I think I'd want to be certain of the gear ratio. Find out how to determine it on your truck (stamped on the gear(s) or count teeth?) and pull the cover. I'd probably reuse the gear oil, unless you want to go with synthetic or something else.

Or, maybe the data plate has that info.

roosterk0031 02-14-2012 10:04 PM

23 mpg with 4x4 is pretty good, I doubt gearing will make any difference. 2200 rpm at 60 is only 150 above my stratus and you have a 2.7, it couldn't keep 60 mph at 1770 on most roads. If you think it could, try overside tires, tall & skinny, I don't think you'll like how 1st gear works.

Even if gearing would make a differnce, not $1500's worth(if your going to tear into them get some LSD's), install LRR tires when it's time, drive slower, drive smarter.

It's not the 300 lbs in steel, it's the 4-5" higher and xfer case losses.

Still if you expected more the 23 your expections were wrong.

Frank Lee 02-14-2012 11:25 PM

You can check ratios by jacking up the axle and turning shafts and counting how other shafts turn.

mcrews 02-14-2012 11:25 PM

It's not the dealer.....it's toyota!

If you REALLY have the wrong gear, then the sales contract is void. Toyota misrepresented the vehicle.
Call the owner or GM. Exdplain the facts. tell him your not 'blaming him' for misrepresenting the car. BUT you want to talk to a regional rep from toyota.

tjts1 02-15-2012 12:44 AM

Did you notice the window sticker?
Fuel Economy of the 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4WD

Rick323 02-15-2012 01:02 AM

I'd say it's mostly the saleman's fault, he should have known Toyota didn't sell 4cyl 4x4 with 3.31 gears (I'm pretty sure Toyota (or anyone) doesn't make 3.31 gears for the front axle). Toyota is to blame for the wrong door jam sticker. What did the window sticker say?

Unfortunetly, most salesmen don't have a clue about the vehicles drivetrain they sell. They know cup holdes, seat adjustment, sun visers etc .....

mcrews 02-15-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick323 (Post 286970)
I'd say it's mostly the saleman's fault, he should have known Toyota didn't sell 4cyl 4x4 with 3.31 gears (I'm pretty sure Toyota (or anyone) doesn't make 3.31 gears for the front axle). Toyota is to blame for the wrong door jam sticker. What did the window sticker say?

Unfortunetly, most salesmen don't have a clue about the vehicles drivetrain they sell. They know cup holdes, seat adjustment, sun visers etc .....

What?
toyota has the wrong door sticker and it's the saleman's fault for "not knowing"???

get a grip.
1. why the jump to place blame on the salesman....that's gonna get the problem fixed????
2.The sticker is wrong. That's a manufacture problem.
3. And since the internet wasnt invented yesterday, more than 1/2 the blame goes to the op. He tells us he bought a 4x4 for GOOD GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!????
4. And he did ZERO research to confirm his information??????
5. He knew what he wanted....AND IN 2011....he put all his faith in a salesman......please......help me here.

mcrews 02-15-2012 01:17 AM

and op,
How does a 'salesman lied to me' in one sentence and in the next sentence you say the door jam says 3.31????????

THE DAMN DOOR JAM LIED!!!!
IF in fact the gears are wrong.
If there not ......welll........guess the saleman didn't lie again, either.

I'm really surprised you don't accuse the saleman of making bogus door jams....

jamesqf 02-15-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 286972)
3. And since the internet wasnt invented yesterday, more than 1/2 the blame goes to the op. He tells us he bought a 4x4 for GOOD GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!????

That depends. If you start from the point of needing a 4WD pickup (which some of us do) then search for the one with the best mpg, his plan makes sense.

But I think it's rather sad that he only gets 23 mpg from his brand-new, latest-technology Toyota pickup, when I average around 27 mpg in my '88.

tjts1 02-15-2012 01:42 AM

I still don't understand how he expects 27mpg when the window sticker clearly says 20mpg highway.

tru 02-15-2012 05:57 AM

shoulda bought a V8 lol

good luck OP, and i doubt you would like your truck with the gearing you are interested in. I do agree that if the door jam says one thing and the truck is equipped with another, the manufacturer should make right on the deal (whether it be swapping gears OR changing the sticker and offering you a consolation prize.)

jakobnev 02-15-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

before I go to the dealership and start screaming untill I'm Physically removed.
Have you even tried to approach them like a reasonable person yet?

Rick323 02-15-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

get a grip.
1. why the jump to place blame on the salesman....that's gonna get the problem fixed????
2.The sticker is wrong. That's a manufacture problem.
5. He knew what he wanted....AND IN 2011....he put all his faith in a salesman......please......help me here.

Thanks for the suggestion:thumbup:--I think I have a grip now.

Toyota stopped putting ring/pinion on the door jam in 2005. (So Toyota is not to blame) The codes you read (AO2A?) are for 2004 and older. Toyota made things really easy--- 4cyl 4wd-4.10 r&P (no option); 4cyl 2wd 5sp 3.31 r&p; 4cyl 2wd auto 3.58 r&p.

I'm sure the window sticker said 4.10 r&p.

I would think when you sat down with the salesman and requested something that is not available he should have told you. $0.02

jamesqf 02-15-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru (Post 287002)
good luck OP, and i doubt you would like your truck with the gearing you are interested in.

That's what the low range in the transfer case is (supposed to be) for, isn't it? So you can have a high range for highway travel, and a low one for things like steep dirt & pulling stumps.

Frank Lee 02-15-2012 01:32 PM

A pickup with an a/t that has too high axle ratios will downshift excessively.

redpoint5 02-15-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

...since the internet wasnt invented yesterday, more than 1/2 the blame goes to the op....He knew what he wanted....AND IN 2011....he put all his faith in a salesman......please......help me here.

Placing any faith in a salesman is generally foolish. Their job is to convince you to part with as much of your money as possible. That goal is in direct conflict with principles of honesty and integrity. That said, Mcrews brings up a good point that the salesman may not have been lying since the sticker had the incorrect information. Lying requires intent to deceive, and has nothing to do with the accuracy of the information.

SentraSE-R 02-15-2012 02:38 PM

Doors have jambs. PBJ sandwiches have jams.

mcrews 02-15-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R (Post 287079)
Doors have jambs. PBJ sandwiches have jams.

My Gosh!!:eek:

Your right!!!!!:thumbup:

:cool:

Frank Lee 02-15-2012 03:59 PM

It is his right! You're welcome. ;)

BackroadBomber 02-15-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

I didn't buy a 4x4 TO GET good mileage, I bought a 4x4 because I need one so I bought the one that gets the best mileage out of all the other 4x4 trucks on the market.
Anyways, I called the national number and the guy I talked to said its mandated by the government that the door jam sticker must be correct, and if it isn't I have a legal complaint and I should take it up with the dealer. So I went to the dealer today and after explaining my story to almost everyone the service tech said that the best he could do is change the sticker to match which is not what I wanted. Btw this was after he looked up my vin on the computer to confirm that I do, in fact, have 4.10 gears. He also looked up the original window sticker and it doesn't say anything about the axle ratio on it. So I went And talked to my salesmans partner, because he was off today and she went and argued with the service tech and came back out, took my phone number, and basically the general manager is going to call me within the next few days. The whole time I was there I was making sure I get the Point across that i don't blame the dealership and I don't think it's their fault, because it's really not. It's toyota's. When I bought my truck it was over 150 miles away and I told the service tech that if I'd have known it was 4.10's, I would have told my salesman to go find a different one or I would have bought a Colorado, because it was that much of a deal breaker

mcrews 02-15-2012 04:58 PM

You have wasted your time talking to the wrong people.
As i said....Talk to the GM or owner.

You have to present from a position of strength.
Would Bill Gates talk to the salesman. NO
Why? Because the problem has absolutely nothing to do with the salesman.
And we all agree that salesman are idiots.(kinda)
So that is who you want to present your case???

This is a 'class action' type of problem.
If the dealer fixes it on his own, he has admitted that Toyota is playing games or at least making a BIG error.
He wont step out on that over a plea from a salesman.

tjts1 02-15-2012 05:07 PM

much ado about nothing

Your window sticker says says 18 city, 20 highway. You are averaging 23mpg. You have nothing to complain about. There is no such thing as a 4x4 Tacoma with 3.31 gears. Never has been, never will be. You could have easily checked this on the toyota web site. Your truck is equipped with 4.1 gears because you have much taller tires than the RWD Tacoma.

Toyota didn't screw you.

mcrews 02-15-2012 05:12 PM

all true.....EXCEPT>>>>>

The door jamb sticker is wrong.
That's the problem.
He can't go in whining about the mileage. That is NOT the issue(anymore).
THe issue is the mislabling of product.
He didn't get what he bought (regardless of the mileage)

jamesqf 02-15-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 287064)
A pickup with an a/t that has too high axle ratios will downshift excessively.

Nonsense. A real pickup doesn't shift unless you press the clutch, move the shift lever to the gear you want, and let the clutch out again.

BackroadBomber 02-15-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 287101)
You have wasted your time talking to the wrong people.
As i said....Talk to the GM or owner.

You have to present from a position of strength.
Would Bill Gates talk to the salesman. NO
Why? Because the problem has absolutely nothing to do with the salesman.
And we all agree that salesman are idiots.(kinda)
So that is who you want to present your case???

If the dealer fixes it on his own, he has admitted that Toyota is playing games or at least making a BIG error.

I talked to whom I was told to talk to. I was bounced around the dealership for an hour and a half talking to different people. And I'm glad I talked to the saleswoman, she's very pregnant and therefore has a very short temper and if it wasn't for her screaming at the service manager on my behalf he would have never agreed to talk to the GM to try to figure this thing out because he wouldn't really take me seriously and I was getting absolutely nowhere with him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 287102)
much ado about nothing

Your window sticker says says 18 city, 20 highway. You are averaging 23mpg. You have nothing to complain about. There is no such thing as a 4x4 Tacoma with 3.31 gears. Never has been, never will be. You could have easily checked this on the toyota web site. Your truck is equipped with 4.1 gears because you have much taller tires than the RWD Tacoma.

Toyota didn't screw you.

I went on plenty of sites but honestly how was I supposed to know to check for something that specific, especially when I was told for a fact it had 3.31's? I had never owned a Toyota truck before let alone any foreign vehicle, and gear ratios were a specific question I had and also a main concern of mine so I asked when I went there and got an answer. It was obviously wrong, but how was I supposed to know that? It's easy to play the woulda coulda shoulda game but the fact is I was supplied incorrect information that swayed my decision positively into purchasing a new vehicle and I believe It should be corrected, however that may be (I honestly don't know how, but we'll.see) even if it's something little like giving me a awesome deal on a trade-in (would rather have an ex. Cab) I'm not really after money or anything like that, now it's just more so down to the principle of the issue.

mcrews 02-15-2012 11:46 PM

You need to stick to the point of mis;abeling.
They need to replace the rear gear.
You need to get what you paid for.

tjts1 02-16-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackroadBomber (Post 287216)
I talked to whom I was told to talk to. I was bounced around the dealership for an hour and a half talking to different people. And I'm glad I talked to the saleswoman, she's very pregnant and therefore has a very short temper and if it wasn't for her screaming at the service manager on my behalf he would have never agreed to talk to the GM to try to figure this thing out because he wouldn't really take me seriously and I was getting absolutely nowhere with him.

I went on plenty of sites but honestly how was I supposed to know to check for something that specific, especially when I was told for a fact it had 3.31's? I had never owned a Toyota truck before let alone any foreign vehicle, and gear ratios were a specific question I had and also a main concern of mine so I asked when I went there and got an answer. It was obviously wrong, but how was I supposed to know that? It's easy to play the woulda coulda shoulda game but the fact is I was supplied incorrect information that swayed my decision positively into purchasing a new vehicle and I believe It should be corrected, however that may be (I honestly don't know how, but we'll.see) even if it's something little like giving me a awesome deal on a trade-in (would rather have an ex. Cab) I'm not really after money or anything like that, now it's just more so down to the principle of the issue.

You were given the incorrect information by a car salesman. You clearly knew what you were looking for, even asked the right question but you failed to look it up from a reliable source like the owener's manual, the window sticker, toyota web site, any of the Tacoma specific forums... the list goes on. He's a car salesman. His job is to sell you the car. I'm sorry you ended up with a vehicle you're not happy with but I don't think you can say that 'toyota screwed you'. I hope you find a satisfactory solution to the problem. Good luck.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 287222)
You need to stick to the point of mis;abeling.
They need to replace the rear gear.
You need to get what you paid for.

And then he still needs to find a 3.31 front diff. Not going to happen.

kurzer 02-16-2012 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 286947)
You can check ratios by jacking up the axle and turning shafts and counting how other shafts turn.

as long as you dinīt do this, you canīt blaim anyone. step one is to be sure, about the thing. imagine the outcoming, if u have the 4.10 ratio already...

mcrews 02-16-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurzer (Post 287239)
as long as you dinīt do this, you canīt blaim anyone. step one is to be sure, about the thing. imagine the outcoming, if u have the 4.10 ratio already...

no.....you mean 'imagine the outcome if he has the 3.1....':)

BackroadBomber 02-16-2012 04:19 PM

I did jack it up, I did the long math, and the service tech looked up the vin. It definately does have 4.10's.

bandit86 02-26-2012 10:59 AM

just put 20% taller tires on. it will look cooler and you will have the gear ratio you wanted. also how is the poor sales guy supposed to know. Toyota f'd up.

Dave H. (CO) 02-26-2012 05:03 PM

Let the dealer/Toyota pay for the taller tires and speedo recalibration. However your rolling weight is now more also.

redpoint5 06-23-2012 02:12 AM

Whatever became of this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 287101)

Exactly right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 287102)
much ado about nothing

Toyota didn't screw you.

I agree that Toyota didn't screw the OP, but he does have a legit legal argument. In law, a transaction is only binding if both the buyer and seller come to an understanding of the terms of the sale. The OP understood that the truck had a different axle ratio and was mislead by a sticker and a representative of Toyota. By law, there was no agreement, and things should reset back to the way they were (dealer with the car, and buyer with the money).

mcrews 06-23-2012 07:56 AM

I havent read new car paperwork in about 6 yrs but I remember there being paragraph stating that no vebal promises or statements are part of this agreement.....etec etc.

The point being that any kickbacks or inducements not mentioned in the written transaction are null and void. The same would aply to the equipment on the vehicle. Only items listed in writing are included in the sale.

Ben Johnson 02-11-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackroadBomber (Post 287094)
...the service tech said that the best he could do is change the sticker to match

Ha! Problem solved! :)

I am also curious how this turned out.

Selling mislabeled products is illegal.