EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Traffic laws vs wheel size and bulb light in your state - country (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/traffic-laws-vs-wheel-size-bulb-light-your-36870.html)

lico 09-27-2018 07:41 AM

Traffic laws vs wheel size and bulb light in your state - country

So, i see many people in this forum that change tires and rims size apparently like change a wiper blade. Same thing for exterior light.

What I will like to know it's if it's true or if you need to go through bureaucratic practices .

Thank you for share

Fat Charlie 09-27-2018 07:48 AM

I'd never change my wiper blade size. It would make no sense.

Tires and rims? If it fits, it ships. In my state as long as the tires don't extend outside of the fenders you're okay, and fender flares can handle anything oversized. Ecomodding won't even get noticed, much less mentioned.

CapriRacer 09-27-2018 08:40 AM

In the US, the laws vary all over the map - it's done state by state - but there aren't any laws restricting what wheel/tire size you can put on - except the fender thing as noted by Charlie.

HOWEVER, some countries have fairly restrictive laws and the tire and wheels must match what is on certification stickers. I'll bet an internet search would answer the question.

PressEnter[] 09-27-2018 08:51 AM

I think there could be a gray area when it comes to changing the outside diameter of the tire and it changes the odometer reading. I don't know that this is illegal, but when selling a car you have to certify the odometer is correct.

That's just about wheel/tire size. At least in NY, it is illegal to modify the suspension height at all. either lifting or lowering. It's kind of winked at for the most part, but if you get pulled over for speeding, you could get an extra ticket.

As far as lighting, I'm not sure what you mean. The lights do have to be at a certain height, and probably have to be a certain brightness, but as far as switching to aftermarket LED bulbs or something, I don't think it's a legal issue (though on modern cars it might cause a software issue).

PaleMelanesian 09-27-2018 02:55 PM

Haha. Here in Texas it's nearly expected. I see dozens of these things every day. Lifted, giant wheels and tires, enough LED lights for a stadium, etc. The biggest dealer in this corner of the state pre-modifies the trucks and sells them brand new with all the stuff.

Sure, it's there money to do what they want, but I hate it. It's a complete waste of money, noisy, wastes fuel, is dangerous to other drivers in a crash and blinds everyone at night. At least I have a good guess what kind of person they are...

https://www.socalsupertrucks.com/ima..._led_light.jpg

lico 09-27-2018 05:27 PM

Thank for the reply.

For Capri Racer, for sure google will help, but searching in a foreign language that I, shamely, manage very bad it's hard, in german, french, spanish and so over, it will be a nightmare.

Fir Fat Charlie, I was not meaning change size of wiper blade, my intention was to make a metaphor, again my fault, bad english management.

In Italy it's very very restrictive, we have a vehicle registration certificate where you get all the tire size that you have, engine displacement and id number of the engine, horse power, all the weights, like net weight, max load max towing, day running lights and maybe more a couple of things.

to go with aftermarket led exterior light you will need to cheang the whole housing light with one approved for that specific vehicle, approved for that specific light.

to change wheel or rim size you need to ask a paper call nulla osta ( no obstacle) to the manufacturer, you will need to wright the specific size and than wait, if they give you this nulla osta, you pay for the certificate and than take the care to the vehicle registration office. after you pay for the inspection if everything is ok, you will get the new size wrighted on the vehicle registration certificate.
For DRL??? buy an approved kit, hire a professional mechanic or car electrician and get mounted. the professional will give you a paper that everything is mounted right, with all this you go again to the vehicle registration office, pay the inspection and voila, you have wrighted that your car have DRL approved.
Easy, isn't

oil pan 4 09-27-2018 05:37 PM

Where I am they require head lights to work at night and require wheels at all times. That's about it.

Some police states like Virginia will check head light aiming. If the head light can't be aimed to the inspectors satisfaction, you fail vehicle inspection.
Most east coast states any tire tread that sticks out from under the vehicle is an automatic fail.
But where I am we have idiots with trucks that have wheels that stick out 3 inches, like it's some kind of contest to see who can blow out the wheel bearings the quickest.

ksa8907 09-27-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 580212)
But where I am we have idiots with trucks that have wheels that stick out 3 inches, like it's some kind of contest to see who can blow out the wheel bearings the quickest.

Soooooo many trucks like this, local shops love it I'm sure. Wheel bearings, lower ball joints, and tires when the first two issues are neglected too long.

New definition of "money pit"?

redpoint5 09-27-2018 09:58 PM

No inspections in Oregon. Pay the $90 registration online every 2 years, and you're all set.

I had a lowbeam light fail on my bike at night once, and had to use my aftermarket HID highbeam. Cop pulled me over and asked why my headlights were aimed wrong, and he accepted my solution to the dead lowbeam and let me go.

jcp123 09-28-2018 12:21 AM

Oh it varies a lot but for the most part it is pretty lax here. I've been spoiled by Texas for the last decade or so. Wheel/tire size isn't terribly regulated, but it also never made sense for me to do without recalibrating your speedometer accordingly.

That bit about NY laws regarding suspension mods is troubling. I might move there in the next few years. Blah. I had thought about lowering my Civic and eventually getting a rally-build (lifted, off road tires) sportscar. Guess I'll also have to get re-acquainted with smog tests, which Texas only administers in urbanized counties over a certain population. On the flip side, Texas does have basic safety inspections yearly, which is one of the most un-Texan things I could have thought of. Even California, where I grew up, is fairly strict about vehicle mods, but has no safety inspections. It really threw me off when I moved here.

If you want the most lax laws in the United States, it's in Florida. Almost anything goes there, and I love them for it.