EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Traffic laws vs wheel size and bulb light in your state - country (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/traffic-laws-vs-wheel-size-bulb-light-your-36870.html)

lico 09-27-2018 07:41 AM

Traffic laws vs wheel size and bulb light in your state - country

So, i see many people in this forum that change tires and rims size apparently like change a wiper blade. Same thing for exterior light.

What I will like to know it's if it's true or if you need to go through bureaucratic practices .

Thank you for share

Fat Charlie 09-27-2018 07:48 AM

I'd never change my wiper blade size. It would make no sense.

Tires and rims? If it fits, it ships. In my state as long as the tires don't extend outside of the fenders you're okay, and fender flares can handle anything oversized. Ecomodding won't even get noticed, much less mentioned.

CapriRacer 09-27-2018 08:40 AM

In the US, the laws vary all over the map - it's done state by state - but there aren't any laws restricting what wheel/tire size you can put on - except the fender thing as noted by Charlie.

HOWEVER, some countries have fairly restrictive laws and the tire and wheels must match what is on certification stickers. I'll bet an internet search would answer the question.

PressEnter[] 09-27-2018 08:51 AM

I think there could be a gray area when it comes to changing the outside diameter of the tire and it changes the odometer reading. I don't know that this is illegal, but when selling a car you have to certify the odometer is correct.

That's just about wheel/tire size. At least in NY, it is illegal to modify the suspension height at all. either lifting or lowering. It's kind of winked at for the most part, but if you get pulled over for speeding, you could get an extra ticket.

As far as lighting, I'm not sure what you mean. The lights do have to be at a certain height, and probably have to be a certain brightness, but as far as switching to aftermarket LED bulbs or something, I don't think it's a legal issue (though on modern cars it might cause a software issue).

PaleMelanesian 09-27-2018 02:55 PM

Haha. Here in Texas it's nearly expected. I see dozens of these things every day. Lifted, giant wheels and tires, enough LED lights for a stadium, etc. The biggest dealer in this corner of the state pre-modifies the trucks and sells them brand new with all the stuff.

Sure, it's there money to do what they want, but I hate it. It's a complete waste of money, noisy, wastes fuel, is dangerous to other drivers in a crash and blinds everyone at night. At least I have a good guess what kind of person they are...

https://www.socalsupertrucks.com/ima..._led_light.jpg

lico 09-27-2018 05:27 PM

Thank for the reply.

For Capri Racer, for sure google will help, but searching in a foreign language that I, shamely, manage very bad it's hard, in german, french, spanish and so over, it will be a nightmare.

Fir Fat Charlie, I was not meaning change size of wiper blade, my intention was to make a metaphor, again my fault, bad english management.

In Italy it's very very restrictive, we have a vehicle registration certificate where you get all the tire size that you have, engine displacement and id number of the engine, horse power, all the weights, like net weight, max load max towing, day running lights and maybe more a couple of things.

to go with aftermarket led exterior light you will need to cheang the whole housing light with one approved for that specific vehicle, approved for that specific light.

to change wheel or rim size you need to ask a paper call nulla osta ( no obstacle) to the manufacturer, you will need to wright the specific size and than wait, if they give you this nulla osta, you pay for the certificate and than take the care to the vehicle registration office. after you pay for the inspection if everything is ok, you will get the new size wrighted on the vehicle registration certificate.
For DRL??? buy an approved kit, hire a professional mechanic or car electrician and get mounted. the professional will give you a paper that everything is mounted right, with all this you go again to the vehicle registration office, pay the inspection and voila, you have wrighted that your car have DRL approved.
Easy, isn't

oil pan 4 09-27-2018 05:37 PM

Where I am they require head lights to work at night and require wheels at all times. That's about it.

Some police states like Virginia will check head light aiming. If the head light can't be aimed to the inspectors satisfaction, you fail vehicle inspection.
Most east coast states any tire tread that sticks out from under the vehicle is an automatic fail.
But where I am we have idiots with trucks that have wheels that stick out 3 inches, like it's some kind of contest to see who can blow out the wheel bearings the quickest.

ksa8907 09-27-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 580212)
But where I am we have idiots with trucks that have wheels that stick out 3 inches, like it's some kind of contest to see who can blow out the wheel bearings the quickest.

Soooooo many trucks like this, local shops love it I'm sure. Wheel bearings, lower ball joints, and tires when the first two issues are neglected too long.

New definition of "money pit"?

redpoint5 09-27-2018 09:58 PM

No inspections in Oregon. Pay the $90 registration online every 2 years, and you're all set.

I had a lowbeam light fail on my bike at night once, and had to use my aftermarket HID highbeam. Cop pulled me over and asked why my headlights were aimed wrong, and he accepted my solution to the dead lowbeam and let me go.

jcp123 09-28-2018 12:21 AM

Oh it varies a lot but for the most part it is pretty lax here. I've been spoiled by Texas for the last decade or so. Wheel/tire size isn't terribly regulated, but it also never made sense for me to do without recalibrating your speedometer accordingly.

That bit about NY laws regarding suspension mods is troubling. I might move there in the next few years. Blah. I had thought about lowering my Civic and eventually getting a rally-build (lifted, off road tires) sportscar. Guess I'll also have to get re-acquainted with smog tests, which Texas only administers in urbanized counties over a certain population. On the flip side, Texas does have basic safety inspections yearly, which is one of the most un-Texan things I could have thought of. Even California, where I grew up, is fairly strict about vehicle mods, but has no safety inspections. It really threw me off when I moved here.

If you want the most lax laws in the United States, it's in Florida. Almost anything goes there, and I love them for it.

Xist 09-28-2018 12:23 AM

I saw a black truck driving down the main street in our small town with ridiculously huge rims, colored LEDs all over, and low-profile tires.

That is a huge waste of money just to feel every crack and speck of dust on the pavement.

jamesqf 09-28-2018 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 580212)
Where I am they require head lights to work at night and require wheels at all times. That's about it.

I'm not sure they actually require all the wheels hereabouts.

oil pan 4 09-28-2018 08:21 AM

Moving to new York from Texas sounds like a serious down grade.
I have been to NY several times and still don't understand why anyone would voluntary live there.

Fat Charlie 09-28-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 580246)
I saw a black truck driving down the main street in our small town with ridiculously huge rims, colored LEDs all over, and low-profile tires.

That is a huge waste of money just to feel every crack and speck of dust on the pavement.

I get that for free by having a lightweight car with a lot of air in the tires.

Gasoline Fumes 09-28-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp123 (Post 580245)
Oh it varies a lot but for the most part it is pretty lax here. I've been spoiled by Texas for the last decade or so. Wheel/tire size isn't terribly regulated, but it also never made sense for me to do without recalibrating your speedometer accordingly.

That bit about NY laws regarding suspension mods is troubling. I might move there in the next few years. Blah. I had thought about lowering my Civic and eventually getting a rally-build (lifted, off road tires) sportscar. Guess I'll also have to get re-acquainted with smog tests, which Texas only administers in urbanized counties over a certain population. On the flip side, Texas does have basic safety inspections yearly, which is one of the most un-Texan things I could have thought of. Even California, where I grew up, is fairly strict about vehicle mods, but has no safety inspections. It really threw me off when I moved here.

If you want the most lax laws in the United States, it's in Florida. Almost anything goes there, and I love them for it.

I've lived in NY my whole life and I wasn't aware of the suspension law. If it does exist, it's certainly not enforced. Actual emissions testing is only done in the NYC area. In the rest of NY State, OBDII cars get plugged in (CEL = fail), but there's no actual exhaust test.

freebeard 09-28-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

What I will like to know it's if it's true or if you need to go through bureaucratic practices .
In Italy or Tennessee?

I've run Hella H-4 since the 1980s, when they were illegal in every state in the Union except Oregon and Washington. Halogens in the 1980s was phenomenal.

The VeWicle in my profile pic had 4 1/2" rims on the front and 8" rims on the back.

lico 09-28-2018 04:19 PM

was intended in other place than Italy. It will be interesting if people in others states of the UE share they knowledge..
The lupo 3l was heavy modded, and I remember a guy in France with a Citroen AX with rims and wheel of the A2 3l.

for now, thank you for all your experience and knowledge shared

freebeard 09-28-2018 10:27 PM

If I could put any rims on my car it would probably be BMW i3:
Bridgestone Announces Large Diameter Narrow Tires

jcp123 09-28-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 580266)
Moving to new York from Texas sounds like a serious down grade.
I have been to NY several times and still don't understand why anyone would voluntary live there.

Voluntary would be an overstatement. Surrender or acceptance would be more accurate.

Gotta say, the Rochester area is far more Midwest than it is BosWash crazy.

Growing up in California makes anything NY does feel more like home than a loss. Texas isn't a libertarian paradise.

jcp123 09-28-2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 580269)
I've lived in NY my whole life and I wasn't aware of the suspension law. If it does exist, it's certainly not enforced. Actual emissions testing is only done in the NYC area. In the rest of NY State, OBDII cars get plugged in (CEL = fail), but there's no actual exhaust test.

Good to know. Sounds like Texas, where as I said emissions are only enforced in urban counties.

The suspension law seems a bit suspect after I've seen lifted Jeeps and the like, but around Rochester at least, folks are mostly demure enough that they don't tend to modify vehicles in the first place, so anecdotally I don't have much to go by.

oil pan 4 09-28-2018 11:38 PM

Yes I have been to Rochester, it's like a thorn in the side of the NY police state.
Try Austin. It's unlike most of the rest of texas. It's about as out of place as new Yorks Rochester.

Gasoline Fumes 09-29-2018 12:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp123 (Post 580361)
Good to know. Sounds like Texas, where as I said emissions are only enforced in urban counties.

The suspension law seems a bit suspect after I've seen lifted Jeeps and the like, but around Rochester at least, folks are mostly demure enough that they don't tend to modify vehicles in the first place, so anecdotally I don't have much to go by.

I've seen plenty of lowered and lifted vehicles in NY. I'm about an hour East of Rochester.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1538193886
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1538193886

redpoint5 09-29-2018 01:27 AM

Might have to move to Montana someday when the rest of the states begin regulating speech. Up until a a few years ago, you could drink and drive legally, and there was no speed limit. Very relaxed there, and I feel free whenever I visit.

I didn't even know there were US states that had vehicle inspections until recently. In Oregon, you pay your $90 registration every 2 years online, and they leave you alone. There might be 2 or 3 counties that require DEQ testing, but the way around that is to not register your vehicle in those counties.

lico 09-29-2018 07:31 AM

In Italy, for car, we have a thing called revisione, it's a safety check, more or less.
You bring the car to an autorized garage and do a couple of tests.
When you buy a brand new car, after the first registration you do these test after 4 years, than it's every 2 years.
They check vin number, motor number, wheels, lights, horn, wiper blades, brake (the power and the balancing), suspension and swing arms and bushes plus wheels bearings, they check too exhaust emission and rust. Oh they check airbags warning light and abs.

If you fail you can't drive the car until you get everything right

seifrob 10-01-2018 02:23 AM

... to add, they also check that you have wheel sizs, rims size and all the accessory (winch, DRL...) according to specs in your registration.

luckily few years back they said inspection garage will no more care for hubcaps. Now its your bussines, if you have or have not DOT-approved hubcaps.

(but - of course - if your not DOT-approved hubcap slips and wrecks a bus full of nuns, the insurance company will wash its hands)

Xist 10-01-2018 06:23 AM

Mandating hubcaps sounds insane to me. They are so fragile!

seifrob 10-01-2018 08:08 AM

They do not mandate them. They just required that every hubcap sold is DOT approved so you do not mount anything dangerous or polluting or whatever. But you are perfectly legit driving with bare steelies.