EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Traffic sign placement (aiding hypermiling) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/traffic-sign-placement-aiding-hypermiling-13247.html)

Piwoslaw 05-15-2010 06:13 AM

Traffic sign placement (aiding hypermiling)

You know what I hate?

I hate it when I have a nice good pulse up to the speed limit (or just above), go around a bend in the road, and see a speed limit sign with a lower speed. I go through the bend at 90 km/h and suddenly I have 50-100m to slow down to 50 km/h. WTF, mate? Sure, I can slam on the brakes and slow down, maybe I can even do it in a safe manner, but if I had seen that sign before the bend, not after, then I wouldn't have pulsed from 60 to 90, but instead gently coasted. Umpteen milliliters of fuel gone. Moving that speed limit sign 50m forward wouldn't make anyone late for work, but would help many drivers save fuel.
I've seen "Reduce speed ahead" and "Stop sign ahead" signs in the US, but not all of them were well-placed. Unfortunately, the best I can wish for here is an intermediate speed limit sign slightly earlier, but that hardly ever happens.

So how should traffic signs be placed to aid the hypermiler, maybe even increase safety, while not blocking traffic at the same time? Other than moving speed reductions to more visible places, what about lowering the speed limit on steep hills? In the last week I've seen many places where the speed limit changes from 50 km/h to 70 or 90 at the bottom of a hill, and everyone feels that they are obliged to accelerate uphill, while I'd prefer to keep my speed down until the top of the hill. Similarly, I've seen steep hills with a speed reduction at the crest, as if it couldn't be earlier. In many cases the the climbing speed is lower anyway, because of heavy trucks. A higher speed can be kept if the uphill is right after a downhill, allowing to keep momentum.

Unfortuately, asking whoever is responsible for the road to move the sign only because of potential fuel savings is going to get you laughed at at best.

Bicycle Bob 05-15-2010 09:56 AM

Also, let's try to make sure that bicycles have a clear, smooth path when they go downhill if momentum can be preserved for a climb.

RobertSmalls 05-15-2010 10:18 AM

Hypermilers are a small fraction of the motoring population. The Department of Transportation should design roads and signage around people who don't even know that driving style affects fuel economy. They should place signs that cause people to DWL whether they know it or not. Speed reductions should coincide with up-grades, rest stops and weigh stations belong at the top of hills, toll booths don't belong at all, etc.

I've occasionally seen the DOT think about the fuel economy impact of their actions, but they're far from consistent. Maybe they need fuel economy activists to make themselves heard? I suppose we could each write a letter to our DOT encouraging DWL-friendly and bicycle-friendly roads and signs.

One unfortunate fact is that villages, where speed limits are slower, tend to sprout up in valleys, where there is water. That's the opposite of what you want for DWL.

doviatt 05-15-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 174646)
You know what I hate?

Unfortuately, asking whoever is responsible for the road to move the sign only because of potential fuel savings is going to get you laughed at at best.

So turn the tables and laugh at them first. Take the position of "why were you guys stupid enough to put a speed reduction sign AFTER a curve". Logically that does not make any sense. What makes less sense is an increased limit on a steep uphill?. Also it would be good to find out from the lawmakers in your area why all of the speed changes in the first place. If they have any logic for their reasons at that point they will understand yours.

Around here most roads are at a set limit with temporary, caution or warning limits only (not mandatory or enforced) for curves or dangerous areas. Some times on long stretches there will be a permanent reduction with speed step downs approaching and through a remote town. This is logical because everyone knows why it has changed.

tjts1 05-15-2010 11:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlty0OPcU6k

Frank Lee 05-15-2010 12:39 PM

There is a stretch right out of town where the limit increases from 45 to 55... for, oh, .5 of a mile before you then have to come to a complete stop for a cross road! :mad:

So, everybody guns it at that sign, only to come to a stop so shortly after.

I wonder how many gallons of fuel have been wasted at that stretch of road over the years?

I'd like to pull that stupid sign right out so that everybody just continues on at 45 until they have to stop.

Might cost the average driver 2 or 3 seconds over that stretch... :rolleyes:

Peter7307 05-15-2010 06:55 PM

Piroslaw,
Sadly poor placement of advisory signs is not limited to any one country and YES we have our share here as well.

One in particular stands out.
A section of 80 km/h roadway which changes to 100 km/h about 300 metres before there is an off ramp leading to a service station / gas station area. The another ramp letting vehicles back on about 500 metres further along.

Ummmm... how about a little common sense here?

Slow the traffic where people are slowing anyway to go into the service are and put the 100 km/h sign another half a kilometer along the road !

Can it really be THAT hard to work out?

Peter.

wagonman76 05-17-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 174698)
There is a stretch right out of town where the limit increases from 45 to 55... for, oh, .5 of a mile before you then have to come to a complete stop for a cross road! :mad:

So, everybody guns it at that sign, only to come to a stop so shortly after.

I wonder how many gallons of fuel have been wasted at that stretch of road over the years?

I'd like to pull that stupid sign right out so that everybody just continues on at 45 until they have to stop.

Might cost the average driver 2 or 3 seconds over that stretch... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of 4 mile road in Traverse City. For whatever reason it's 35 for the longest time when there's really nothing but a handful of houses, then it's 45 for a while, then for the last little bit (probably .5 mile and up a pretty respectable grade too) it's 55 right before the stoplight.

About the "reduced speed ahead" signs (or lack of), it's what they call a speed trap and a revenue generator and if you'll notice there's often a cop sitting just past the line of sight. I was nearly rearended at one going from 55 to 25 around a corner.

I've thought about that too, nearly every town is in a hole by the water and you have to accelerate up and out.