EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Trailer tires on truck? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/trailer-tires-truck-15336.html)

IsaacCarlson 12-01-2010 11:25 PM

Trailer tires on truck?

I found some almost new, hardly used goodyear marathons at work that are the right size. They are $10 a piece. I have read a bit about other people using trailer tires on passenger vehicles and would like to get a general opinion on using these. They are E range 235 80 or 85 16, I can't remember. They look good, but I don't know if they are the "circle S" ones. They will be used for drives until I can afford proper tires. Thoughts please.:confused:

CapriRacer 12-02-2010 01:17 PM

This is a terrible idea:

1) Trailer tires are speed restricted to 65 mph compared to regular LT tires which carry at least a 99 mph rating and sometimes a 112 mph rating. This means they are built to lower standards.

2) Trailer tires have to meet lower government standards than LT type tires.

3) Tire manufacturers built trailer tires with the idea that there is a decreased risk of someone getting hurt if one fails. Plus there isn't any real need to worry about traction and handling - or even treadwear.

4) The tires on your truck are 85 series, while the trailer tires you mentioned are 80 series, which means the trailer tires are smaller - another thing in wrong direction.

5) The last thing is not so technical: You have to wonder if someone took off a set of tires, why did they do that?

Ryland 12-02-2010 05:07 PM

Trailer tires are not designed for traction and we are going in to winter, they are instead designed for heavy loads and are built much thicker so they tend to have a pressure rating of 65-100 psi.

slowmover 12-03-2010 09:54 AM

Forget this. ST tires are just about good enough to be placed on a heavy trailer that sits for months at a time. Their ratings (have no standard speed rating; only a few can handle above 65 mph) are suspect in the first place. You'll find thousands of posts on RV sites complaining about them in general. And even if they are correctly load-matched to the trailer they are not at all suitable otherwise for cars/trucks. This is a bad idea. I'd go to Craigslist or another source for take-off's to fit the vehicle. Find one set of four, or two sets of two, of LT tires.

rmcelwee 12-03-2010 11:45 AM

If you do it, make sure you use a camcorder so we can post the wreck on youtube <G>.

99metro 12-08-2010 09:48 AM

IIRC, my 1998 HitchHiker 5th wheel had regular "E" tires on them, non-ST. I actually used my F250 spare tire/wheel which fit perfect when I had a flat. I bought all new tires for it 235/85/16E. You about can't get ST tires for big 5th wheels these days.

In a pinch, I suppose you could temporarily use trailer tires, but only if you treated them like 55 mph donut spares. On the contrary though lots of people drive their 5th wheels with ST tires at 75 mph, take the turns like sports cars and never have a problem. Usually the STs have pretty stiff sidewalls, so handling would be a touch "funny". Tread patterns on trailer tires vary so much these days they almost look like all-terrains. Overall, tough call.

IsaacCarlson 12-09-2010 11:12 PM

I am going to put them on in the morning. I was going to do it tonight but ran out of time. I will let you know how they work.

nimblemotors 12-10-2010 04:02 AM

trailer tires are designed with stiff sidewalls that keep the wheels going straight as they are designed to do for a trailer. They would be a very bad choice for the front wheels that turn and have sideloads (which is why they make radial tires), but for the back wheels of a truck, might be ok, the quality issue notwithstanding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson (Post 207091)
I found some almost new, hardly used goodyear marathons at work that are the right size. They are $10 a piece. I have read a bit about other people using trailer tires on passenger vehicles and would like to get a general opinion on using these. They are E range 235 80 or 85 16, I can't remember. They look good, but I don't know if they are the "circle S" ones. They will be used for drives until I can afford proper tires. Thoughts please.:confused:

mnmarcus 12-10-2010 11:07 AM

I love this

Are trailer tires a good idea? Then after everything everyone has said...

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson (Post 208830)
I am going to put them on in the morning. I was going to do it tonight but ran out of time. I will let you know how they work.

That's great. This post has made my week!

IsaacCarlson 12-10-2010 09:04 PM

That's funny right there! I had already pretty much made up my mind before I asked the question. I was looking for a general consensus to help me decide. It is a farm truck so I am not worried too much about ride quality, or handling. It rides like a tank either way. I just need something better than what is on there now.