EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Trailers for Scooters? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/trailers-scooters-8817.html)

Doofus McFancypants 06-17-2009 12:36 PM

Trailers for Scooters?

I am laying out my Bicycle trailer and was thinking...

do they have trailers for Scooters?
I searched 2 pages of Google and saw nothing like i was looking for.

Any thoughts on making a Bicycle trailer work on a Scooter?

thinking for Grocery store runs / local errands.

steve

Christ 06-17-2009 12:55 PM

If you can make it work on a bike, you can make it work on a scooter.

In fact, if you want to provide an image of the rear of your scooter, I could probably point out an easy to build hitch setup that you could make from scrap, probably for under $20.

jonathan150cc 06-17-2009 02:15 PM

This question also came up on another scooter forum that I'm a member of.

As far as I know, there is nothing commercially available. The best idea was for someone to make one, as you suggested, out of a bike trailer. I still have yet to see it done. I'm usually the guy to do that, but I don't see the point. Between a top case, saddle bags and under-seat storage, that's plenty of room for whatever you purchase, short of a load of sheetrock and 2x4s.

:)

Doofus McFancypants 06-18-2009 12:41 PM

i do not have a scooter (yet) but was thinking this would be something that i can make the case to SWMBO for the investment. we have a Kroger in easy biking distance - Public's at the "boundary" of biking and a SuperWalmart on the outside of Bike Radius.

( I consider 3 miles a decent "Shopping" radius here - as Cold items need to make it home)

As nothing is really available - I will continue with the Bicycle trailer as "proof of concept" and can then make the Upsize arguement if it makes sence.

Jonathan - maybe once i make the bike trailer i could test fit on your 150CC? I am down in Marietta ( Kennesaw area)

ASV 06-18-2009 07:27 PM

Utility Trailer with 40in. x 48in. Bed | Trailers | Northern Tool + Equipment

I was thingking the same thing its a 120 lbs
I wanted to covert the hich

Doofus McFancypants 06-19-2009 06:32 AM

That seems like overkill - or at least for my intended usage.
plus not sure i want to drop $200 for a trailer.

I could see if i was hauling "STUFF" with it, this would be a good starting point.

but as a "little grocery getter"

steve

dcb 06-19-2009 06:40 AM

attaching a trailer is the easy part, not getting the attention of the enforcement folks is the hard part.

Any trailer laws where you live?

blueflame 06-19-2009 07:32 AM

A very large carrier on the back with a large box may work too.

I once saw the pioneering looking guy with an Amish beard riding a cycle with a box about 1 cubic meter full of tools, and timber strapped on top, reaching forward over his head

Christ 06-19-2009 12:58 PM

I was thinking something more like 24" x 12" for a scooter trailer that's only getting groceries or small supplies... Maybe 2' tall, with a "cooler" section for milk/eggs, etc.

aerohead 06-20-2009 01:56 PM

scooter trailer

The only snag I've been able to anticipate with a home-built scooter or MC trailer,is that since they're motor vehicles,the constabulary may want to see DOT rated tires and wheels on them.Otherwise,I think they are free game.------ I have one of those 1/2 bikes,that a parent would hook to they're bicycle,and a small child would "ride" in tandem.The thing is already configured to hitch to the the seat stem of a bike,it has handlebars,seat,pedals and rear wheel.-----If you strip away all the extraneous stuff your left with the foundation for a quick and dirty 1-wheel trailer.------- Mine gets a kayak 1/2 body.A motorcycle ( scooter ) version would get a Honda-50 type DOT-rated front wheel/tire and high-speed bearing set and angle king-pin attachment to allow the trailer to bank with the bike.--------- I've already proved the design behind the CRX,it would just be smaller for a MC/scooter.----------- If you did a good composite design,you wouldn't need a "chassis",the whole trailer could be designed as a structural unit and very light.