-   Fossil Fuel Free (
-   -   transporting WVO in to Canada to use to go to AK (

trooper Tdiesel 08-20-2012 01:28 AM

transporting WVO in to Canada to use to go to AK
sorta a strange question but does any one know what sorta response would i get at the border for having 200+ gal of WVO and 40 gal of pump fuel on a trailer.

i mean whould they not care.

charge me road tax on it?

would they take it as counter ban or something to that affect.:confused:

or would i be labeled a terrest for trying to take 4 drums of coking oil and a few cans of diesel over the border....

the deal is,
a family member has a old model A that's all in parts and peaces that hes wanting to have taken up north to AK

nothings set in stone, im just running numbers at this point....

i do know id need a passport to do it now, from what ive read that takes some time like a 1/4 of a year or so, unless you pay extra....:(

ecomodded 08-20-2012 02:16 AM

4 Drums of cooking oil is a might bit suspicious for a road trip,
More like a purchase being transported then a fuel tank being pulled.
Just saying it must be one thirsty truck.

on a good note i do not think there is tax on waste oil, Yet.

trooper Tdiesel 08-20-2012 02:44 AM

that's enuf oil to do "round trip" at around 75% WVO 25% pump fuel

i really only need two drums each way of oil, if i could find a source up north...

its about 5,000 miles thus the large quantity...
id get high teens to low 20s, do to the large load.
do to all the passes up there im figuring it at 17 mpg...

i gotta figure out how much space a model A takes up when its all in peaces....LOL
its not a car type, its a truck type model A

and figure in the space for the oil as well as the 1,820lbs of the fuel..
that's at 7lbs a gal for the 220 plus 40 gal in pump fuel.

my goal is to not by a drop of pump fuel in Canada

ecomodded 08-20-2012 03:01 AM

Wow, im spoiled with my car, at 12 u.s gal. a month it would last me 24 months or around 30,000 miles.

After realizing your low mileage , i don't think you will have a problem packing your own fuel over the border.
Just secure it as a commercial driver would.

trooper Tdiesel 08-20-2012 03:11 AM

yea moving near 8,000lbs auto, trailer, cargo as a tendency to kill the idea of getting normal cu muting mpg numbers..of 30..out of a mid size SUV

one thought ive come up with is a roof of sorts, more of a way to keep water off the boxes and rare parts for the model A

but as a added bones it would help aro....:thumbup:

ecomodded 08-20-2012 03:15 AM

I hauled jet fuel by the drum on my 1 ton, We secured to the back board behind the cab with strapping and rope,cinched real tight. I Hated driving over the gravel roads carrying the chopper fuel, the waste oil is a might bit safer but just as heavy. We unloaded it by rolling it off the back of the flat deck onto a truck tire, sometimes incurring a dent but otherwise effective.

It would be worth the oil to boat tail that load !
Some cheap plywood and duct tape, kidding, about the duct tape..

trooper Tdiesel 08-20-2012 03:22 AM

from what ive read...

flash point of cooking oil is around 650F

flash point of your normal no2 diesel is about 150F

jet fuel is more in the no1 type range so yea more bang for the buck :D:D

oil pan 4 08-20-2012 06:45 AM

I have been boarder patrol is kind of like our TSA.
They are pretty stupid, dont expect them to figure out anything short of round pegs go in the round hole and square pegs go in the square hole.
You give them a triangle peg and you never know what they will do with it.

Try calling customs from a pay phone, pitch the idea and see what they say.

euromodder 08-20-2012 06:49 AM

Q : Are there any ferries going up to Alaska ?

A : There are, but they are costing more than the fuel to get there ... 62$ /ft vehicle length. If you can get a free slot.

Uncle Dave 08-20-2012 11:39 AM

I would say, Go for it.
My daughter lives in Toronto ON Canada. Have crossed the border may times. I will have to check with some of her Canadian family, some of whom are with the Police.

I would suggest you might get some news articles on the Pipe Line, Solendra, etc. Also put a post on the Club. They have members all over, as well as Ideas.

I used to work for the Pres. TV is always looking for a good story to two. If nothing else, it would stir things up a bit.

From my experience the Canadians are a little more open minded about things. Driving across Canada I ran out of Diesel. I pulled into a Farming equipment yard and tried to buy a gallon of Purple to get to the next town, some 50 miles down the the road. I was able to get fuel.

When I was small, the assistant Pastor of our church used to cross the border to go the a church up near Montral. He got stopped. Took is car completely appart. Must have been looking for Drugs. He had crossed many times.

Go for it.

trooper Tdiesel 08-20-2012 02:46 PM

the other thing that comes to mind is the lack of a license plate on the trailer.
and how Canada would respond to that.

granted its sounding like i should be more concerned with crossing back in to the US, :eek: then when im going in to Canada

i got trip permits to go back to the east cost this summer, and its a year before they would issue them agen...

i could barrow a legal plate from some one that has a plated trailer thats home made. its out of service right now with broken leaf springs, U-bolts ECT

in modding the trailer the vin had to be cut off do to rust damage.
so theres no data as to what it was originally

direct posting is being mean to day so hears a link to a photo.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

euromodder 08-20-2012 04:43 PM


Originally Posted by trooper Tdiesel (Post 322726)
the other thing that comes to mind is the lack of a license plate on the trailer.
and how Canada would respond to that.

Does your State require you to have a licence plate that refers to the trailer ?
(Heavy trailers have different licence plates in many countries.)

If you do, it should carry those plates.
If not, in international traffic, it needs the licence plate of the towing vehicle.

Can't get away with "Farm use" when hauling stuff internationally ;)

trooper Tdiesel 08-20-2012 05:24 PM

i know some one that drove up to Canada with farm plates.
several thousand dollars later he was legal in Canada...:eek:

the farm equioment he was getting, was in sight from the border crossing....:eek:

trailers in my home state are exempt from plates and tags when under 1,800lbs Gross Trailer Weight.
sence its 1,600 empty i can pull it empty with no tags but that really does no good

1,801 to 8,000lbs is light trailer, over that 8K and things get spend-y in more then one way...

its a deal where 3+ people have had the thing thru the years but no one transfers the title.
it has never been registered in my state, thus i can not apply for a lost title.
when i got it it was a rusting heap of junk that the guy wanted gone NOW!!
for free you don't ask many questions

the only state its been registered in is WA, thus ive been slowly going thru there proses for getting prof of right to the trailer.

this is the proses for autos, trailers are a touch different.
WAC 308-56A-210: Ownership in doubt

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright