Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 04:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Madison Hybridfest/Green Drive Expo

Who is going to the Madison Green Drive Expo, July 23-24?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dr. Jekyl - '09 Mini John Cooper Works
90 day: 47.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
Who is going to the Madison Green Drive Expo, July 23-24?
Thinking about it. Will likely want to get there for the Thursday night get-together and Friday activities. IMHO those of the best parts of the event. Went 2yrs. ago.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Not to sound like a total noob (even though I am) Madison where???? Wisconsin? Somewhat close to home for me. About 3 hours.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Not to sound like a total noob (even though I am) Madison where???? Wisconsin? Somewhat close to home for me. About 3 hours.
Yes, it is in Wisconsin. Sorry, here is a link:

Home Page Green Drive Expo

I gather it is a renaming of the old hybridfest which has gone on for several years. Among other attractions, they have a fuel economy contest, and a display of fuel efficient cars. 3-Wheeler, who posts regularly on this site, is contemplating showing his Honda Insight boat tail project, seen here and on other threads:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-13533-34.html

I'm hoping he goes, though I haven't heard anything final.

Last edited by jime57; 06-25-2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 06-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Yes, it is in Wisconsin. Sorry, here is a link:

Home Page Green Drive Expo

I gather it is a renaming of the old hybridfest which has gone on for several years. Among other attractions, they have a fuel economy contest, and a display of fuel efficient cars. 3-Wheeler, who posts regularly on this site, is contemplating showing his Honda Insight boat tail project, seen here and on other threads:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-13533-34.html

I'm hoping he goes, though I haven't heard anything final.
Hi jimepting,

At this point, not sure if I'm going.

If I do go, I will put the tail back on the car and drive it as is.

About one week ago, I was riding my bicycle on a city bike trail and a full size lab dog ran into my path and I went over the bars and now have a class #3 shoulder separation. It's one step away from surgery.

The tail is off the car since it was getting water logged since it was not completely sealed over the winter (ran out of time last fall). Now I have removed quite a bit of fiberglass that had bubbled up from water intrusion.

All the paint that was put on last year is latex and needs to be sanded off to allow further work on the tail.

I'm also working on several mods to the car, including running the IMA fan at all times via an on-off switch.

We watch our grand-daughter allot so time is limited to work on things.

If the weather is good, and my shoulder feels better, I could stop by for the Expo.

Jim.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sorry to hear about the technical problems with the boat-tail, and doubly sorry to hear about the accident. Physical problems really slow down older folks. Ask me about that one.

I would certainly encourage you to show the boat-tail if you can. I know it is a work in progress, but there is nothing else like it in the nation and it is of immense interest to folks like the ecomodder set. Keep us informed please.

Curious as to why you are modifying the IMA fan to run it full time. Do you see a problem with the stock setup?

Regards,
Jim E.

Last edited by jime57; 06-27-2011 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I'll probably be out there either Saturday or Sunday.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Sorry to hear about the technical problems with the boat-tail, and doubly sorry to hear about the accident. Physical problems really slow down older folks. Ask me about that one.

I would certainly encourage you to show the boat-tail if you can. I know it is a work in progress, but there is nothing else like it in the nation and it is of immense interest to folks like the ecomodder set. Keep us informed please.

Curious as to why you are modifying the IMA fan to run it full time. Do you see a problem with the stock setup?

Regards,
Jim E.
Thanks for the kind words Jim.

The tail has sat in the DRY garage for about three weeks now, which I hope is allowing all the water to escape/dry out. I got so used to driving the car with it on, that it seems kind of "naked" without it now. Numerous people at work have asked about it as well. One person thought I had a different car!

Appearing at the Hybrid Fest will be totally dependent upon the weather. If it's a dry forecast and nothing pressing with the family, then I would certainly be open to driving there. I went last year on the motorcycle on Saturday, but did not bump into anyone, but you never know.

I enjoyed listening to the presentation by the lead Ford engineer about the Focus Hybrid, and then Wayne Gerdes about how his team got 81 mpg in a controlled loop.

AeroCivic had his car on display there as well.

Jim, there has been some discussion on IC about whether there is any advantage to having the fan run during heavy use of the IMA. I think even with my mild use of MIMA, that running the fan on low or even high has some merit.

I have wired an ON/OFF switch as well as a HI/LOW switch that allow this to happen. The switches are mounted on the outside of the IPU compartment for easy access.

Summer heat is hard on the IMA battery and proper cooling is important. Even in the winter time, with the cells very cold, running some cabin heat through the pack can help.

Jim.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OK, I'm going. Hope to see some of you there. I'll be there by Thursday night and plan to compete in the MPG Challenge. Have noticed that several folks are still on the fence so hope the numbers improve by show time.

See ya there!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OK, I'm going. I hope to see some of you there. I registered for the fuel economy competition. For those of you who attend, I'm 6'4" and a very gray 73 years. I registered as a VIP so I should have a name tag. Please keep your eyes open for me!

Reply  Post New Thread