EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   TriboTEX: You too can help Kickstart this scam! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tribotex-you-too-can-help-kickstart-scam-34860.html)

RobbMeeX 02-09-2017 08:10 PM

TriboTEX: You too can help Kickstart this scam!

TriboTEX: More Engine HP, Better Mileage, Less Wear & Tear

TriboTEX improves horsepower by 3-5%, gas mileage and reverses wear using nanoparticles developed with the DoE, NASA, and NSF.

"Easily relieves suckers of their unwanted money. Act now!"

mcrews 02-09-2017 08:12 PM

".....developed with the DoE, NASA, and NSF"

They had me until NSF (non-sufficient funds)!!!!! :rolleyes:

Stubby79 02-09-2017 10:00 PM

I love me some snake oil! :thumbup:

Xist 02-09-2017 11:17 PM

National Science Foundation?

RustyLugNut 02-10-2017 03:26 PM

Thanks for bringing this company to our attention. I'm of the mind to try it as soon as it hits the market. They have already met funding for their Kickstart.

There is tremendous new breakthroughs in tribology (science of friction) and much of it is in the interaction of nano particles. This company is based on good research done at the University of Washington and funded by various groups and granting. This is not proof of concept but much closer to launch.

We all know most oil additives are useless in the realm of hydrodynamic lubrication, but the internal combustion engine still has a major metal to metal contact point - the piston/cylinder interface. If this substance can reduce that friction in any way, it becomes a viable material.

I used titanium nano particles on a 3 cylinder engine a decade back. They were burnished into the cylinder walls after break in of the engine and disassembly for inspection. The before and after was one of those "Wow" moments. It took about 7 ft.lbs. of torque to rotate the crank before the nano treatment. After, it was less than a foot pound.

I am interested in TriboTex claims of it's abilities to "rebuild" a machine surface. All nano particle lubes eventually wear off. How do they hope to build a surface?

oldtamiyaphile 02-10-2017 07:56 PM

Subscribed to hear your findings when it comes out.

I actually believe in additives to a point. Quite a few actually do have OEM approval.

It would be interesting to run a before and after compression test on an older engine to see if it does build a surface.

jakobnev 02-11-2017 07:35 AM

It seems in eight years they haven't put an engine on a test bench where all the variables could be controlled.

The sceptic in me "wonders" why.

Vman455 02-15-2017 01:40 AM

Well, their ad copy is riddled with outright lies right off the bat.

"Average gas mileage for new cars has stagnated around 22 MPG for the last 20 years."

According to the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Institute, average fuel economy of new cars has hovered around 25 MPG for the past two years, up from 20 MPG in 2007. It certainly hasn't been stagnant for two decades.

"Traditional engines are only 30% efficient at best."

Many cars today have engines with peak thermal efficiency higher than 30%. The current Prius, for instance, achieves peak thermal efficiency of 40%, as does the new hyundai Ioniq, and the 2018 Camry, among others.

"Cars are generally discarded after 100K miles due to the stress and heat caused by friction inside the engine, which leads to lost compression and efficiency."

The average age of cars on American roads today is more than 11 years old. "The number of vehicles on the road that are at least 25 years old is about 14 million. That's up from about 8 million in 2002. Those are vehicles made in 1990 or earlier. Meanwhile, the number of vehicles that are 16 to 24 years old is 44 million. That's up from 26 million in 2002, according to IHS. 'There’s quite a bit of evidence of these vehicles lasting longer, staying on the road longer, people hanging on to them longer,' Seng said."

That doesn't incline me to take the rest of their claims seriously.

TriboTEX 02-18-2017 03:57 PM

Sorry to join your respectful company right at the moment of being talked about, but would gladly answer your further questions here. The easiest way to form your own opinion is to test and feel yourself.

I do recognize and acknowledge that this market is filled with skepticism and product of various quality, but hope that what we do make a difference to the better.

Yes. NSF is National Science Foundation. and Google still works
https://www.google.com/search?q=nsf+tribotex

Jakobnev: We tested way more than one as well as gearboxes and ASTM bench tests that go into certification.

Vman455: Great references. Marketing talks were about averages of cars on road and ownership patterns as well as averages and you cite peak parameters of cars that are not released yet. Oldest and average cars are usually not a first owner cars.

California98Civic 02-18-2017 07:29 PM

Subscribed to see if any testing ever appears for comment here.

Vman455 02-18-2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriboTEX (Post 534631)
Vman455: Great references. Marketing talks were about averages of cars on road and ownership patterns as well as averages and you cite peak parameters of cars that are not released yet. Oldest and average cars are usually not a first owner cars.

Sorry to contradict you once again, but I was not citing peak parameters of cars that haven't been released yet--the 3rd-gen Prius, for instance, with an engine thermal efficiency of 38% was released in late 2009, and the 4th-gen at 40% a year and a half ago. The Ioniq hybrid went on sale in the US this week, the new Camry will be on sale this summer, and there are plenty of other ICE vehicles with peak efficiencies greater than 30% that I didn't mention. Also, since you cite peak thermal efficiency ("30 percent efficient at best"), so did I. If you want to argue average efficiency that's a different story, and you need to say that...but you didn't--quite the opposite, in fact.

Don't get me wrong--if your coating actually works, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. But we need some evidence of that beyond the fact of a couple NSF grants and paper references that show nanoparticle tribofilms can have application as anti-wear agents (i.e. you need to produce some evidence that your product can do this in an engine. This is especially important since none of your cited literature indicates that this technology is ready for public consumption yet). And, as I said before, when your marketing copy starts out with a string of easily-debunked half-truths, it doesn't help your cause of trying to get me, your ideal consumer, to buy your product because you've eroded my trust before you've even had a chance to earn it.

I wish you all success, and hope you can provide us with some concrete testing results in future. This is certainly an intriguing concept, and I hope it works out.

jakobnev 02-19-2017 06:17 AM

Quote:

Jakobnev: We tested way more than one as well as gearboxes and ASTM bench tests that go into certification.

I looked but couldn't find any test protocols, perhaps you could give us some links?

ratgreen 03-06-2017 10:10 AM

I backed it. I plan on running some primitive garage tests on some sheet metal etc when it arrives. But yeh the video was a bit poor, and we need to see actual test results. There are too many snake oils for sale already, so you really have got to prove it works to change peoples minds.

samwichse 03-08-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Yes. NSF is National Science Foundation. and Google still works
https://www.google.com/search?q=nsf+tribotex

Quote:

Sponsor: TriboTEX
1008 S East st
Colfax, WA 99111-1504 (509)339-3737
So... you're advertising that you paid someone. And saying developed "developed with DoE, NASA, & NSF." Got it.

TriboTEX 02-25-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwichse (Post 535600)
So... you're advertising that you paid someone. And saying developed "developed with DoE, NASA, & NSF." Got it.

National Science Foundation is the agency that paid for the technology scale-up from lab scale to pilot production scale. In their terminology Sponsor means something different. Every organization they pay is "Sponsor" for them while practically all money comes from US government.

Fore example https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/show...AWD_ID=1445570 it means that NSF funded research conducted by Harvard's George Church.

Here is our comapny showcase by them on recent Consumer Electronics Show
https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.j...WT.mc_ev=click

More info on our Facebook.

freebeard 02-26-2018 05:01 PM

Thank you for stepping into the line of admittedly small-caliber fire. Now we can see who's into argumentation for it's own sake, if nothing else.

OTOH I'm sitting on $4500 worth of engine parts I had assembled a decade ago, and I'm thinking the best pay-off for that wait would be to tear it down and reassemble it, using internal aerospace coatings.

To understand the push-back: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q...smetics&ia=web. Bucky Fuller never saw that coming. :) C60 will be like antibiotics, overused until it's too late*. But if people are rubbing into their skin, why not put it in you motor oil.

Flee Facespook, for all our sakes.

edit:
*the blood/brain barrier stuff.

Also this could save me a teardown on a zero-miles motor.

teoman 02-27-2018 02:48 PM

We have guys that can do pretty good real world testing on this forum (if you read through the various posts). And they document them as well as any scientific research.

And this site gets quite a bit of hits whic go up as fuel prices go up.

We have a few very trusted members whose word we would not hesitate to follow.

Just send a bottle to one of them, let him share his results and it will get added to the list of mods that work. You will get free publicity. I personally would not hesitate to buy some for all my vehicles and my whole family and friends’ vehicles.

teoman 02-27-2018 03:38 PM

Ratgreen, have you received/ tested it yet?

TriboTEX 02-27-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 562367)
We have guys that can do pretty good real world testing on this forum (if you read through the various posts). And they document them as well as any scientific research.

And this site gets quite a bit of hits whic go up as fuel prices go up.

We have a few very trusted members whose word we would not hesitate to follow.

Just send a bottle to one of them, let him share his results and it will get added to the list of mods that work. You will get free publicity. I personally would not hesitate to buy some for all my vehicles and my whole family and friends’ vehicles.

We are open for more testing. We tested our products for the needs of US Army with Wedeven Associates (Report will be public in 2021), several industrial clients. There are plenty of reports on our website including published peer-reviewed papers on top of extensive bench testing and microstructure studies. It makes more sense for industrial clients where purchasing decision is based on tests and tests are relevant to the application. So any industrial client is welcome to contact us.

For retail tests are less relevant. I wish it was different.

Daschicken 03-19-2018 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll tell you what, one way you could EASILY prove that your product works to reduce wear would be to test it in TINY engines like this.
Attachment 23709

Engines this small apparently suffer from wear problems so serious that the engine may only last for one run and never start again due to insufficient compression. If your product can work miracles, this would be how to show it, and i'm sure the tiny engine RC community would appreciate extended engine lifespans for these tiny things.

teoman 03-20-2018 12:49 PM

TriboTEX, unfortunately you can have whatever test/trial fabricated by whatever company or academic you want. (And I have written peer reviewed papers, and i have evaluated them aswell). So in real life the tests papers do not have any value.

Anyhow, i am willing to contribute 10 USD for a reputable member of this forum to try it on his car. 9 more contributors like me and we will know once and for all if it is any good. I would do the tests myself, but I do not have a steady car at the moment, My commute is not stable enough and i cannot perform the tests meticulously enough to be of any value for this forum.

freebeard 03-20-2018 03:56 PM

Hey, I would match that. But it would have to be a postal money order to a snail mail address.

teoman 06-11-2018 05:28 AM

Anyone tried this yet?

mannydantyla 06-19-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 571773)
Anyone tried this yet?

This stuff caught my eye on Amazon, came here to see if anyone had anything to say about it. Was not terribly disappointing but was hoping someone actually tested it and gave a review. My engine is pretty old and I know there's a concerning amount of copper, lead and iron in the used oil. So my need is probably greater than most.

I recently sent an oil sample to Blackstone Lab and they said my iron, copper and lead numbers (parts per million) where high and cause for concern. If I used this stuff, and sent another oil sample in and the numbers went back down, would that prove that this stuff works? Of course there's more changing in my engine than whats in the oil pan. I have the head off right now because a little coolant was getting the oil and its getting machined and rebuilt.

I like the idea of measuring the max torque needed to turn the crankshaft pulley, before and after adding this stuff. Seams very easy and simple.

Of course the ultimate test is to put the engine on the dyno.

I'm not inherently skeptical of oil additives, not as much as some folks on this forum by the looks of it. Engine Restore helped my chevy 350 burn less oil, and Lucas stops leak keeps my floor jack from leaking. However, I once had an old Buick that lost 4th gear shortly after putting in Lucas Transmission Fix.

And it might be risky putting something so new into your vehicle's engine. I mean even if its tested to be effective, what are the long term effects? I'm reminded of a motorcycle gas tank I bought, it was coated on the inside with a product called "kreem" which was supposed to keep the inside of the tank from rusting. After 20 years or so it had all flaked off and was clogging the carburetors. Worse though, it's virtually impossible to remove it. If you google it, you'll find hundreds of stories just like mine.

I use Shell Rotela T-6 5w-40 and it already has a good amount of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) and a little boron and moly too. I wonder if this TriboTEX stuff could improve on an already well performing oil with high levels of lubricity, protection, and film strength. Of course not all cars can use an oil with so much phosphorous - its bad on the catalytic converters - nor do they need to, what with modern cam rollers and all.

teoman 07-28-2018 08:03 AM

Just had a look at their kickstarter page. People have received them.

Lots of anectodal evidence saying they “feel” more power. Most people are reporting a reduction in noise.

I have to say that it works for the noise of the engine but I had not any improvement in fuel consumption ! My Prius hybrid has been always near 4.2 liter for 100km and it stayed before and after the usage, no difference even after 4000km after using the tribotex”

There is also a spritmonitor link:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detai...27.html?page=4

(May not be the same guy, but apparently Prii drivers keep better track of their FE.

samwichse 07-28-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 574755)
Just had a look at their kickstarter page. People have received them.

Lots of anectodal evidence saying they “feel” more power. Most people are reporting a reduction in noise.

I have to say that it works for the noise of the engine but I had not any improvement in fuel consumption ! My Prius hybrid has been always near 4.2 liter for 100km and it stayed before and after the usage, no difference even after 4000km after using the tribotex”

There is also a spritmonitor link:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detai...27.html?page=4

(May not be the same guy, but apparently Prii drivers keep better track of their FE.

Hm, so it doesn't work for something he's equipped to measure (gas mileage read out), but does work for something he's not equipped to measure (engine noise).

Things that make you go "hm."

teoman 07-28-2018 10:55 AM

On amazon reviews most people seem to like the prodct. But once you weed out the “whoow it is great reviews. There are a couple of people that claim 1-2 mpg gain. One claims a %3 improvement in fuel economy. Some say their car is quiet now. A few claim the engine has been restored and stopped smoking and oil pressure was up. Quite a few say it did nothing and one guy says his car does not run anymore.

freebeard 07-28-2018 12:17 PM

With my luck I'd be that one guy.

Xist 07-28-2018 02:15 PM

Who wants to chip in and buy freebeard some?! :D

teoman 07-28-2018 05:15 PM

My offer for 10 bucks stands.

freebeard 07-28-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Who wants to chip in and buy freebeard some?!
Passive-agressive much?

I guess I'm committed to matching teoman, but he said 'a reputable member of this forum'.

OTOH, if it made the Dasher quiet and smoke-free that would be a real testimonial.

Xist 07-28-2018 10:58 PM

Why would I be passive-aggressive? I am not funny, either, but I keep trying.

freebeard 07-29-2018 12:48 AM

It's Okay. It's fun to watch me fail.

teoman 07-29-2018 02:08 AM

You are reputable enough. You have 10000 psts, you must even be posting while driving.

And if this stuff saves the dasher, it does everything it says on the box.

freebeard 07-29-2018 04:34 AM

Wow, that slipped right past me. I could have had a cupcake or something.

I see that back in February, I was thinking about using it in the zero-miles 1776 stroker I have sitting on a bench.

It's not a matter of 'saving' the Dasher, making it quiet and smoke-free would be to elevate it to a new plane of existence.

OTOH Tribotex's last comment in February was:
Quote:

It makes more sense for industrial clients where purchasing decision is based on tests and tests are relevant to the application. So any industrial client is welcome to contact us.

For retail tests are less relevant. I wish it was different.

teoman 07-29-2018 07:01 AM

Give it a go. What can you lose?

Oh yeah a hundred bucks :)

freebeard 07-29-2018 01:10 PM

And, being the guy that says his car does not run anymore.

Piotrsko 07-30-2018 07:06 PM

But it it stopped running it would be smoke free and quiet.

Xist 07-30-2018 07:51 PM

"Pros: My engine is now smoke-free and quiet! Cons: It's dead!"

KnifeKnut 08-27-2020 08:20 AM

It took a little hunting, but here is the original published manuscript on the technology. Since it is government funded, it has to be freely available.

Tribotex needs to link this instead of the paylink on their website.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/sdfe/p...01679X17300531