EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Tried to Buy a New Car (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tried-buy-new-car-11303.html)

RH77 12-04-2009 12:01 AM

Tried to Buy a New Car

But they failed.

For those following the discussion (or not), the long-time debate for a Teggy replacement (if that's possible) is...

The 2010 Honda Insight EX.

So, my Wife and I headed to the local Honda dealer to start wheelin' and dealin'. She was the "Bad Cop" because, well, I'm not good with negotiating for a new car. "I'll take it!" has often led to costly car purchases. The 2003 Mistubishi Evo comes to mind...

So then, what happened? JUNK FEES.

I'm posting this to poll others if this has become common.

1) $200 Honda Advertising Fee
2) $199.95 Administration Fee
3) $350 Dealer Trade / Transport Charge

OK, so #2 has been allowed by the State and was capped at $199.95. I'll let that one slide, maybe...

So, should the consumer pay a dealer to have Corporate advertise? That's what "profit" is for, right?

And, I need a dark interior. I spill stuff. The car was in "Nebraska" and had to be transported via flatbed so the reverse trade "wouldn't accrue mileage". I know of other dealers to drive vehicles 100's of miles to trade. What happened? I wasn't going to settle on a big purchase, that I would spending lots of time driving.

So our final offer (based on Edmunds "what others are paying") was way under, so we walked.

We're keeping cars longer (and running costs are lower), which is the reason for selecting a new car.

So, the plan is to go to another dealer and press our luck. Apparently there's a sale on interest rates -- but only if you get that far.

RH77

Frank Lee 12-04-2009 12:32 AM

I take it you've thoroughly researched the Insight.

What do you think? Give us the book report on it.

koihoshi 12-04-2009 01:19 AM

Really, in this economy? Man I've seen some lowballs on offers that people have taken. You plan on putting anything down? You could always use $500 or so for a "down", cash talks. "I can do $xxx now if you'll take $xx,xxx"....

Interest rates ARE pretty low. Both financing on cars, and with houses....

Christ 12-04-2009 01:23 AM

I'm interested in the review as well... I also wouldn't be paying ANY of those fees. I'm about to offer my assistance in yet another lemon law case, this time my Father in law and his ignorance when spending my Sister in law's money.

Seems dealers really are out there to charge for things they can't materialize, more and more these days, no?

cfg83 12-04-2009 02:51 AM

RH77 -

$200 for advertising?!?!?!?!? What a joke. Just tell them you didn't see the wonderful life-changing ad, so you aren't going to pay for it.

What my car friend tells me is to go at the end of the month, because that's when the dealership is desperate to make sales. For the same reason the end of the year is *the* best time.

CarloSW2

Christ 12-04-2009 02:52 AM

For the same reason you're probably more likely to get pulled over at the end of the month... it's CRUNCH TIME!...

FastPlastic 12-04-2009 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 144189)
RH77 -

$200 for advertising?!?!?!?!? What a joke. Just tell them you didn't see the wonderful life-changing ad, so you aren't going to pay for it.
CarloSW2

I agree, that sounds like a bunch of BS to me. You don't see Wal-Mart tacking on 2% at the register for advertising do you?

Christ 12-04-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastPlastic (Post 144196)
I agree, that sounds like a bunch of BS to me. You don't see Wal-Mart tacking on 2% at the register for advertising do you?

Yeah, lol. You do. Profits pay for advertising, so their profits pay for their advertising, therefore, part of their markup is to pay for that. They're just not as blatant about it, which, I presume, is why people don't say much.

I do know that if I looked at a Wally World receipt and there was an extra 2% tacked on after state taxes, their markup, etc... I'd be pretty pissed, and would probably pitch a fit about it in a rather unnerving tone.

Bicycle Bob 12-04-2009 08:29 AM

Dealers count on customers loosing track of one of three factors: New car price, Trade in price, and Finance charges. One technique is to hammer them on the prices, until they are all set to sign, soaking you on interest, and then switch to cash.

MetroMPG 12-04-2009 12:06 PM

Bummer, Rick.

Used Prius! :) (Sorry.)

Watching with interest...