EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Trouble with "Pulse and Glide" (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/trouble-pulse-glide-20267.html)

Scorched 01-25-2012 10:07 PM

Trouble with "Pulse and Glide"

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I am relatively new to hypermiling. In order to achieve the most efficiency from my vehicle I try to employ as many techniques as I can.

Two techniques which I would really like to use are "pulse and glide" as well as turning off my engine at stoplights, although, I am having some difficulty.

I drive a 2004 Saturn Ion1 with CVT. Here are the issues I am having with these techniques:

1. When starting my engine it will rev to ~2,500 RPM. I have to wait a moment for it to drop down to idle before I can begin moving. This is frustrating not only because it takes too long and I do not wish to hold up traffic but also because it seems that fuel is being wasted on startup.

2. After shutting the engine OFF I have no problem gliding for a while but it seems I cannot restart it until the vehicle is STOPPED and in PARK.

So my questions are: Is there a way to sefely restart the engine while the vehicle is still in motion? Possibly a way to rig a quick start up? Also, is there a way to avoid the initial "rev" when starting the engine up?

Thanks for the input!

user removed 01-25-2012 10:13 PM

Not a good idea to coast with the engine off with a CVT, you could seriously damage the transmission. Coast in neutral with the engine running. The transmission needs hydraulic pressure to work properly, even in neutral. You could be spending big bucks on a repair or replacement transmission, say $5000.

Best to leave the engine running in neutral when coasting. It should start in neutral if you shut it off at a light, but do that only when it has completely stopped and you will probably need your foot on the brakes (not sure about foot on the brakes).

regards
Mech

Scorched 01-25-2012 10:20 PM

Thanks,

I was not aware that shutting the engine off at speed could damage the transmission. "The more you know"

So once at a stop, I should put it in park, shut off the engine, hold the brakes, shift to neutral and restart my engine in time for the light to change?

user removed 01-25-2012 10:30 PM

Try to see if it will start in neutral. I think you need to have your foot on the brake for it to start, but if you do it should start in neutral. Then you can shut the engine of and start it in neutral at a light. I would not mess with it unless you know its going to be at least 15 seconds or more. If it revs up that high it's probably not worth it.

regards
Mech

Scorched 01-25-2012 10:51 PM

Thanks for the valuable information. I will give it a shot next time I hit the road. Obviously some lights are a lot longer than others and it's not worth shutting the engine off if it is too short. Of course there are always thoes lights that seem to last forever as well.

GRU 01-25-2012 10:57 PM

Since your engine revs high when you start the car, i wouldn't even bother shuting it off at lights or when coasting. Shut if off only if you will be parked for at least 45 seconds.

The reason your engine revs high at startup might be because you have a bad Idle air control valve.

Scorched 01-25-2012 11:16 PM

GRU I will look into that.

I bought the vehicle at about 60,000 miles from my father who purchased it new. This behavior has been consistent since it came from the factory and is also exhibited in other Saturn models from my personal expierence. It has always bewildered me. Maybe a replacement part will fix the issue.