EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Trump kills MPG requirements... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/trump-kills-mpg-requirements-38265.html)

redneck 04-01-2020 04:25 PM

Trump kills MPG requirements...

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/safe-final-rule

Quote:

“Today, President Trump is keeping his promise to autoworkers made three years ago that he would reinvigorate American auto manufacturing by updating costly, increasingly unachievable fuel economy and vehicle CO2 emissions standards, and that is what the Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient Vehicles Rule accomplishes.

>

aerohead 04-01-2020 04:27 PM

Trump roll back

No surprise there!

JSH 04-01-2020 05:57 PM

Trump TRIES to kill MPG requirements. This will be tied up in litigation longer than Trump is president - whether or not he is re-elected.

His EPA has a very poor track record in the courts because they don’t follow the required protocols required to change regulations.

EDIT: Ford, GM, and Ram are selling 2020 full size trucks that meet those “unobtainable 2025 MPG standards.

That won’t help the court case nor will the fact that this will cost customers money even by there own numbers.

oil pan 4 04-01-2020 06:02 PM

The last time they passed a bill with the world "affordable" in the title the price quadrupled.

redpoint5 04-01-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

The final rule will increase stringency of CAFE and CO2 emissions standards by 1.5% each year through model year 2026, as compared with the standards issued in 2012, which would have required about 5% annual increases.

...NHTSA is required by Federal law to set fuel economy standards at the maximum feasible level for both passenger cars and light trucks, for every model year. If NHTSA determines that standards previously set are no longer maximum feasible, NHTSA can amend them. In determining what levels of CAFE standards would be maximum feasible, the law directs NHTSA to consider four specific factors: technological feasibility; economic practicability; the effect of other motor vehicle standards of the Government on fuel economy; and the Nation’s need to conserve energy.

...The SAFE Vehicles Rule increases U.S. competitiveness by reducing regulatory costs by as much as $100 billion through model year 2029.

...By reducing the average price of a new vehicle by about $1,000, this right-sized rule will make it easier for Americans to afford to buy newer, cleaner, and safer vehicles.

...The agencies project that under these final standards, required technology costs would be reduced by $86 to $126 billion over the lifetimes of vehicles through MY 2029.
One of the assumptions here is that cheaper cars will increase the number of new vehicles sold, which means eliminating the use of older, less efficient vehicles. Who knows how much CO2 that will reduce compared to simply requiring more stringent targets?

serialk11r 04-01-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 620616)
One of the assumptions here is that cheaper cars will increase the number of new vehicles sold, which means eliminating the use of older, less efficient vehicles. Who knows how much CO2 that will reduce compared to simply requiring more stringent targets?

This kind of ties into your other thread about what the fleet average energy consumption on aero drag is. The US fleet does more long distance driving than other countries, so replacing cars with newer ones that have slightly updated engines and transmissions gets a huge % of the potential fuel savings.

The flip side is the US consumer doesn't look to be in a good position to be buying new cars in the coming years...but I guess lower prices only helps.

Chonk_Master 04-01-2020 10:48 PM

Why would any consumer want this after we've seen EcoBoost F-150 getting 23 MPG (Hwy) with no mods?

me and my metro 04-02-2020 11:36 AM

I have never purchased a new car or truck and never will. I did purchase the Saturn because I can flat tow it and it gets better mileage than similarly sized Fords.

M_a_t_t 04-02-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chonk_Master (Post 620647)
Why would any consumer want this after we've seen EcoBoost F-150 getting 23 MPG (Hwy) with no mods?

"Man that v8 just sounds GOOD!"

(standing outside the truck leaving it idle)"I could listen to that rumble all day!"

etc. etc.

I still like my v8 van. Not as a commuter just as a toy to go cruising in. I only cruise in it because of my awareness of fuel economy and other things we talk about on this forum. It doesn't make sense to drive it every day.

Most people don't seem to care about any other aspect of driving it (other than having to buy 8 sparkplugs!) and only complain about the cost of gas.

Chonk_Master 04-02-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_a_t_t (Post 620674)
"Man that v8 just sounds GOOD!"

(standing outside the truck leaving it idle)"I could listen to that rumble all day!"

etc. etc.

I still like my v8 van. Not as a commuter just as a toy to go cruising in. I only cruise in it because of my awareness of fuel economy and other things we talk about on this forum. It doesn't make sense to drive it every day.

Most people don't seem to care about any other aspect of driving it (other than having to buy 8 sparkplugs!) and only complain about the cost of gas.

I guess more's the point I was trying to make is, does Trump think manufacturers will go back to making low MPG engines just because they can? The R&D is done. It's a proven way to sell vehicles. Why would anyone backtrack on that?

And I think the same model year still gets 23 MPG HWY but lower than the EcoBoost in town.