EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Ugly, yes...Comments? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ugly-yes-comments-4764.html)

dentprone 08-26-2008 04:04 PM

Ugly, yes...Comments?

1 Attachment(s)
I am picking up two ratty, but rust-free Metros this week, one is a two door '91, the other is a 4 door '90. Both are autos, unfortunately. The plan is to keep one, eventually converting to manual, and turn over the other on EBay or Craigslist. The two door was my first choice, but I had a crazy idea to turn the 4dr into a panel so I can haul stuff occasionally. I weld for a living, so I know I can do the panel part. So....looking at the photochop of this already horrible pic, what do you guys think? I'll probably do whatever I want,:) but I definitely value the opinions of you all out there.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PCP2s7JtHY.../4drpanels.JPG

cfg83 08-26-2008 04:08 PM

dentprone -

I like it. It reminds me of the "mini truck/vans" in Japan that never make it across the pond. You could put a big Ecomodder emblem on the panel, too, ;) .

CarloSW2

dentprone 08-26-2008 04:19 PM

Thx CarloSw2,

I run a mobile welding business for a living, so I'm thinking about putting my logos on there for ad space when I'm not driving my welding rig. But a big EM logo on each side would look sweet, too.

MazdaMatt 08-26-2008 04:32 PM

I just vomitted a little in my mouth.

If you're going to get silly, why not fully boat-tail it. You'll draw TONNES of attention to your company logos and get rediculous milage.

dentprone 08-26-2008 04:50 PM

Oh no, sorry:D Yeah, I think I may have already talked myself out of it. For the amount of work I would have to do, it would probably not be worth doing. I am already planning a metal boattail for my other 2dr,just trying to keep the weight down.

whokilledthejams 08-26-2008 09:12 PM

For what it's worth, you might actually save a few pounds if you replace the side glass with sheet metal. Glass is astonishingly heavy.

dentprone 08-26-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whokilledthejams (Post 56320)
For what it's worth, you might actually save a few pounds if you replace the side glass with sheet metal. Glass is astonishingly heavy.

This is true....I remember handling a side window for an old ramcharger a while back and marveling at how heavy it was. I would also be losing the window regulators and possibly some of the door structure itself, so yeah, It could definitely save some pounds.

Hacksaw 08-26-2008 10:05 PM

Yep, it's a minivan...

FunkSkunk 08-26-2008 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
maybe something like this?.... :thumbup:

Bicycle Bob 08-26-2008 11:20 PM

I bought a 4-dr auto to drive while shopping for my coupe. Everybody talked me out of trying to convert it to a standard - instead, I'm fixing it up for some shiftless urban mother. You almost need a donor car to do the tranny swap, and they are not That rare yet. With only the driver's seat installed, it has hauled some impressive loads. Sometimes the back doors are handy for loading, but the B pillar never is. The lack of a level door/floor interface is an inconvenience for heavy boxes.

dentprone 08-26-2008 11:32 PM

Whoa! Great job, Funk.....that makes it almost palatable. Bob, I think you are right on the swap. I guess I could live with the auto if I could find a little Kubota diesel to drop in there. Probably have to up the tire diameter a bit, though.

Bicycle Bob 08-26-2008 11:48 PM

If you are that into wrenching, I'd get rid of the automatic - there's no lockup mode on the torque converter. The 3-cyl is a sweet engine if you get to know the tricks to extend the exhaust valve life.

For hauling, I often need to leave the hatch propped open enough to pass some long boards. I made some Coroplast triangles to fill the gap on the side. I just tape them on, but they look neat and do a good job. For a load hauler, I'd definitely consider a long, streamlined tail made of lightweight material.

jamesqf 08-27-2008 01:02 AM

If you're into serious work, why not convert it to a pickup? With of course an aerodynamic bed cover that tapers back for ordinary driving, but comes off for hauling larger stuff?

cfg83 08-27-2008 01:31 AM

jamesqf -

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 56392)
If you're into serious work, why not convert it to a pickup? With of course an aerodynamic bed cover that tapers back for ordinary driving, but comes off for hauling larger stuff?

For the two-door, there is a fiberglass pickup option that somebody made. I think there's a picture of it somewhere on this forum, but I don't know where.

CarloSW2

Bicycle Bob 08-27-2008 01:39 AM

The whole mold setup for that pickup is for sale. For a hauler, I'd start with the extra 4" of wheelbase on the 4-door. It only weighs an extra 45 lbs. From a stock B pillar, the best angle of taper for a streamlined bed cap runs well over the top of a stock-looking tailgate even on a 4-door.

FunkSkunk 08-27-2008 02:44 PM

Yeah no problem, I even moved some of the other vehicles for ya too. lol

Bicycle Bob 08-27-2008 03:14 PM

No Photoshop Here!

1 Attachment(s)
Metro Panel Van with the cool Targa front end.

dentprone 08-27-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkSkunk (Post 56510)
Yeah no problem, I even moved some of the other vehicles for ya too. lol

You know, I just now noticed that......where did you put my wife's Forester?!? Aw hell, she's gonna kill me....

dentprone 08-27-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 56521)

Sweet!! you almost had me there for a second......hey, what's that white stuff?:D

jamesqf 08-28-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 56521)

But you really need to chop the roof on that one :-)

FunkSkunk 08-28-2008 02:40 PM

oh and i changed out your spare on the front too... ;)

dentprone 08-28-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkSkunk (Post 56847)
oh and i changed out your spare on the front too... ;)

I see taht.....thanks! that will make it easier to pull it home :D

Sean T. 09-05-2008 05:39 PM

uhm, i think a better idea would be to give the car to me :D

lol.

dentprone 09-05-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean T. (Post 59169)
uhm, i think a better idea would be to give the car to me :D

lol.

Welllll.......you can have it now..... I went today (Drove 50 miles) to get that car and another 2 door. The owner said he had the title for the white one, and when I got there, there was no title to be found. So I drove back empty. Both cars are still there if you know anybody who wants them without titles. The white one is all there, just needs cleaned up.

Sean T. 09-05-2008 06:05 PM

dang, sorry :(

too bad Michigan and Florida are so far away.