EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   ultimate mod - electric (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ultimate-mod-electric-8152.html)

dtbaker61 04-29-2009 11:23 AM

ultimate mod - electric

try it, you'll like it!

If you are contemplating an engine swap, or have a swift with a dead motor... go electric! I finished one in March, and am really having a blast with it. I used a DC motor and 12 x 8v golf cart batteries. range is 40 miles-ish at average in-town speed around 35mph or so... This setup has almost identical peak HP and a little more torque than the original swift 4 cyl. It drives almost identical with regard to acceleration and top speed.

I went with all new DC motor and 'stuff' including lead-acid batteries. Material cost was right at $8k. If you go crazy with AC motor and Lithium batteries you can have a hot autocrosser, but end up spending closer to $20k.

Anyway, if you're curious, I have documented the whole build process at Homepage - EnviroKarma.org

NeilBlanchard 04-29-2009 12:48 PM

Welcome to EM!

You're preaching to the choir, as it were -- there are several folks here who have also done this! I've never heard of 8v batteries before, though...

dtbaker61 04-29-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 101277)
Welcome to EM!
I've never heard of 8v batteries before, though...

8v are very common 'deep cycle' size for golf carts. regular auto starter batteries do not work well with deep discharge... 8v batteries are a good compromise to put together a high voltage pack and durability. with 6v you can get more aH for longer range, but need a truck! 12v batteries have thinner plates and just don't last as long. Cycle/dollar the 8v deep cycle 'floodies' are still the best choice economically.

Impulse 04-29-2009 01:08 PM

congrats on the install, very clean! Just another excuse for me to buy one and convert it!

dtbaker61 04-29-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impulse (Post 101284)
congrats on the install, very clean! Just another excuse for me to buy one and convert it!

thanks.... now I am planning to borrow some ideas from ecomodder and work on aero. first step will be belly pan, which I was going to do anyway to protect motor from splashing. Then maybe rear wheel skirts, and full belly pan.

also considering removal of rear mirrors and going with video, but I'm not sure its legal...

evolutionmovement 04-29-2009 05:46 PM

Have you tried 12V marine deep cycle batteries?

dtbaker61 04-29-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolutionmovement (Post 101347)
Have you tried 12V marine deep cycle batteries?

marine batteries do not hold up as well as true 'deep cycle' batteries. 12v in particular have much thinner plates than 8v and would probably only last a year in an EV.

Ryland 04-29-2009 06:20 PM

Traction motor batteries tend to be the heaviest of deep cycle batteries and they tend to come in 2 volt, 6 volt, 8 volt and 36 volt (the single large fork lift batteries), 12 volt deep cycle batteries might be able to handle high discharge, but they tend to still be a bit wimpy when it comes to handling continues high amp discharge.