EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Ultralight 15" wheels for Citroën/Peugeot owners (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ultralight-15-wheels-citroen-peugeot-owners-15053.html)

Piwoslaw 11-02-2010 04:47 PM

Ultralight 15" wheels for Citroën/Peugeot owners

Looking for a second set of wheels I came across lightweight wheels for Citroën's C5, serial number 5401.Q8. They look like steelies, but are supposedly alloys, and weigh only 4 kg each. Size: 15" 6J, 4x108 screw pattern, ET18.

From the info I've found, the first batch of wheels could dangerously crack, but this was fixed with new screwholes and special screws.

I'd love to get a set of those on the car, but I'm not sure how to discern the "bad" batch from the fixed wheels. I also don't know whether special screws will fit my hubs. Plus the ET18 offset means they will stick out 9mm compared to mine (ET27). This may make my rear skirts obsolete.

euromodder 11-03-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 202165)
I'd love to get a set of those on the car, but I'm not sure how to discern the "bad" batch from the fixed wheels. I also don't know whether special screws will fit my hubs.

Thread and pitch will most likely be identical if your car has the same bolt pattern. The special part is usually how the bolt seats onto the wheel.
(My Volvo also has different bolts for steel wheels, and bolts that can fit either steel or alloy wheels.)

Found this on
The lightest "steels"? - 106 Rallye Register Forum

the part number is 5401.Q8 , i just bought 5 of them from citroen last week , they were £22.16 each + VAT

the wheels that originally came with the C5s were recalled , these are the wheels with the flat seats for the bolts , the replacement wheels have tapered seats and special wheel bolts , the kit of bolts is 5406.08 , and its £11.92 +VAT

SVOboy 11-03-2010 11:25 AM

The wheels were actually that cheap originally? I wonder what they can be had for now. Seems like a great steal (wink).

Piwoslaw 11-03-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 202291)
The wheels were actually that cheap originally? I wonder what they can be had for now. Seems like a great steal (wink).

I saw them new on an auction recently for 150 PLN plus 60 PLN shipping ($53.50+$21.50=US$75 at today's rate) for each wheel. I've spent quite a bit on the car in the last month (and that's not the end if it:(), so I have to be careful when talking about investments with the Wife, but a deal like this is hard to pass up...

Arragonis 11-03-2010 05:53 PM

Ah, the old joint account issue. I have that one too. The best approach is to make the investment and then tell her about the benefits in the afterglow of success. Thats how I handle these situations.

(When I say 'handle' I mean 'apologise')

SVOboy 11-03-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 202360)
I saw them new on an auction recently for 150 PLN plus 60 PLN shipping ($53.50+$21.50=US$75 at today's rate) for each wheel. I've spent quite a bit on the car in the last month (and that's not the end if it:(), so I have to be careful when talking about investments with the Wife, but a deal like this is hard to pass up...

Nevertheless, sounds like quite a deal. :turtle:

Irukandji83 11-19-2010 11:58 PM

The lightest wheels I could find for my car are 9.3 lb(4.2kg) Kosei aftermarkets that cost $134 per wheel, so $75 is quite a good deal. :thumbup:

Piwoslaw 11-21-2010 03:04 AM

Update.
I've found these wheels used on various auctions, for as low as $40 each. I almost picked up two, but the trip got cancelled and I didn't want to do a 500km round trip just for them. I asked the guy who replaced my tires for the winter what he thinks, and he said that lighter wheels would be great, but I should buy only one first to see how it fits.

He also gave me a sermon about summer tires should be wider than winter, to improve grip and handling at higher speeds. He had a hard time believing that I don't do higher speeds.

Arragonis 11-21-2010 12:11 PM

Without going too OT, what is the advantage of winter tyres vs summer ones ? I have never switched for the seasons - although last year's long snow here with near slick Yokohamas was 'fun'. I don't have a spare set of wheels or space to store them, and most tyre places here won't (at least not regularly) fit / remove /replace anything they haven't sold you.

Also what about oil ? I run the VW certified stuff (505.5 ?) which seems to have a low enough temp for anything I see in winter yet I read people here also swapping that for winter. I also have American friends who change every 3 months, I go 6 as my mileage isn't high and it fits in with a summer / winter service together with MOT (safety certificate) expiring at the end of the year.

Temps and weather here don't vary normally very much - the temp range maybe goes from 20-30 Deg C in summer to -5 in winter. And, in Scotland at least, the only noticeable difference is that the drizzle and wind gets colder :D

Lokalazeros 11-21-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Without going too OT, what is the advantage of winter tyres vs summer ones ?
Grip on snow / ice is way better with winter tire. See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y

Living in Quebec, Canada, I can tell you I won't ever ride a car in winter without winter tires (plus, it's illegal :rolleyes:). It already saved my life more than once, and saved many lives around me too (read: anyone driving a car living here.)

The oil VW recommend (5w30 synthetic) for my car fits for summer and winter; but I still change oil before and after winter. I'd rather not have to do it by -25*C :p
Temps around here vary from +30*C to -30*C, and first snow was two days ago ;)

Oh, and I almost forgot. They (the tires makers ?) recommend we switch tires when the average temperature goes below 7*C. Higher temp will ''melt'' winter rubber too fast, and a lower temperature will make the summer rubber too hard to have good grip (assuming no snow/ice).

Otherwise, nice find on the light wheels ! Wish I could get some lighter wheels for my jetta...