EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   The Unicorn Corral: warning - reader skepticism is advised! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/unicorn-corral-warning-reader-skepticism-advised-16428.html)

MetroMPG 03-13-2011 10:56 AM

The Unicorn Corral: warning - reader skepticism is advised!

This subforum contains discussions of modifications which are based on questionable (or non-existent) science, or for which credible proof is sorely lacking. Reader skepticism is strongly advised.

Topics here should bring to mind Carl Sagan's words: "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Proponents/defenders of mods & theories in The Unicorn Corral are urged to also see these threads:

nemo 03-13-2011 11:26 AM

The Unicorn Corral nice title.

JasonG 03-13-2011 11:48 AM

Glad to see the new subforum !

Angmaar 03-13-2011 12:00 PM

This will be a nice forum so that these "questionable" mods aren't in the same place as the real MPG increasing mods.

MetroMPG 03-13-2011 12:06 PM

I think I stole the name from Frank...

Thymeclock 03-13-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 225181)
I think I stole the name from Frank...

You might as well have called it "the loony bin".

It's just a bit less harsh, eh? ;)

Thymeclock 03-13-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 225168)

Topics here should bring to mind Carl Sagan's words: "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Or phrased alternatively, ridiculous claims deserve ridicule. :p

Joenavy85 03-24-2011 01:35 PM

"Snake pit"??

fud2468 04-12-2011 11:22 PM

I hope no one ridicules my Whirlgas Turbinator..
Ray Mac

PA32R 05-23-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fud2468 (Post 231264)
I hope no one ridicules my Whirlgas Turbinator..
Ray Mac

Reminds me of the Vortex Turbulator.

And yes, they are serious!

gone-ot 05-24-2011 08:40 PM

...do we need a reader warning statement: "...Beware of fresh Unicorn Muffins..."

MetroMPG 02-04-2012 02:42 PM

The Unicorn Corral now has a mascot!

(And a Unicorn Corral Notice on the top of every thread. I thought I should add that, since a lot of visitors coming from search engines won't know what the heck this is all about.)

cleanspeed1 04-04-2012 06:55 PM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got my new saddle!:p

gus 02-02-2013 12:17 AM

You guys and your forum are a joke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If there is a way to be removed from the records.........please please do so ASAP !!

wmjinman 02-02-2013 03:45 AM

Hmmm, I saw this & immediately went & checked the lists of cars in the "garage"; 28 gasoline and 16 diesel cars (not hybrids) all doing better than 50 mpg.

Furthermore, there are 110 gas, 13 diesel, and 4 hybrid cars more than 30% over EPA, as well as 13 gas and 6 diesel trucks more than 30% over EPA

If that's a "joke", I want in on it!!! :thumbup:
Bill

Frank Lee 02-02-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus (Post 354364)
You guys and your forum are a joke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If there is a way to be removed from the records.........please please do so ASAP !!

No, keep Gus' posts! They're good humor! :D

user removed 02-02-2013 06:37 PM

Yep gus can turn gas into water :thumbup:, especially going uphill!

regards
Mech

wmjinman 02-02-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old mechanic (Post 354478)
yep gus can turn gas into water :thumbup:, especially going uphill!

Regards
mech

lmfao

Mustang Dave 02-03-2013 10:08 PM

I turned a few gallons of diesel fuel into water today (and yesterday). Gotta give "Big Red" a drink tomorrow morning. :)

Frank Lee 02-03-2013 10:18 PM

On a related note, the Cat and I watched the Supper Bowls today... tomorrow we will watch the Super Bowels... :rolleyes:

Mustang Dave 02-03-2013 10:29 PM

Oh, was there a football game today?

klroth025 10-31-2015 01:12 PM

1991 Chevy Berretta GT 3.1l V6 auto averaging 42mpg mixed driving. How? I jacked up the radiator cap and swapped the car for a 1994 Civic VX

HybridGates 06-04-2016 09:46 AM

I have something of an issue with this forum. What if it was called the pedo coral? There is to much guilt by association which throws all babies out with the bath water in any sort of idea that might be percieved as unscientific. The fact is that science isnt god, and its well know that results can often be misleading or be presented in a manner to conform to whatever goal. In short, it can be a cult.

Xist 06-04-2016 10:32 AM

Hy,

You must be fun at parties.

MetroMPG 06-04-2016 11:31 AM

Fortunately for those who prefer less skeptical "cults", I'm pretty sure there are still several other forums where people happily discuss the topics found in the corral here.

HybridGates 06-04-2016 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 515658)
Hy,

You must be fun at parties.

Damn fun, but really I would like to see things here taken more seriously.

HybridGates 06-04-2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 515662)
Fortunately for those who prefer less skeptical "cults", I'm pretty sure there are still several other forums where people happily discuss the topics found in the corral here.

Like what? Im interested in hho for instance, but dont know where to begin. While its true very old cars benefit, im not sure about new ones.

mcrews 06-04-2016 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridGates (Post 515690)
Damn fun, but really I would like to see things here taken more seriously.

While at the comedy club, I heard someone lament....I wish this was a funeral.....:rolleyes:

Really it' quite easy.....If you want to take something serious, then post FACTUAL, ABA tested information.

mcrews 06-04-2016 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridGates (Post 515691)
Like what? Im interested in hho for instance, but dont know where to begin..

...try google......

or as suggested above, other forums that allow wishes and wants and no proven duplicable outcomes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridGates (Post 515691)
While its true very old cars benefit, im not sure about new ones.

no.

HybridGates 06-04-2016 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 515702)
...try google......

or as suggested above, other forums that allow wishes and wants and no proven duplicable outcomes.

no.

I can see the glass is half empty here. I was wrong to come here to see things disproved or proven.

wickydude 06-05-2016 03:43 AM

Wellll, if you came to see positive proof that HHO is working, then indeed you won't find it here. Lots of people have said it works, but so far none have shown proof that it does*.
And as science isn't god, we don't need to take things on faith. Here, good data is required, with as many variables taken out of the equation as possible.
The proof that it does not work is in the laws of physics, like thermodynamics, conservation of energy etcetera. But usually that's ignored by the advocates of Hho bubblers.

* in the way advertised, of course, with enormous percentages gain from a bubbler using 12v from the alternator. Burning 100% hydrogen gets the engine running, but that's not the point (usually).

mcrews 06-05-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridGates (Post 515706)
I can see the glass is half empty here. I was wrong to come here to see things disproved or proven.

that's it????? :eek:

you just fold after complaining??? :confused:

Why don't your read some of the threads on hho and then comment????

(or just leave.....):cool:

mcrews 06-05-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

sooo.......

you understand that ABA testing is 'proving' something right????

or, ABA testing is 'disproving' something.....right?????

ChazInMT 06-05-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Hybridgats.....Here's a thing about science you see....It is not up to us to prove you're wrong.....It's up to you to prove you're right. Your very statement here saying you came to see things "Disproved" reflects on the fact that you are either in a suckers or swindlers mindset because you do not take the basic principles of science serious enough, or you choose to ignore them on account of nothing stands in the way of a good way to rip people off like real facts.

mcrews 06-05-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Actually, you can't 'see' anything.

But fyi, the glass can ALWAYS be refilled.
This is a very outside the box forum.
Jezzz, we have a guy putting a 67 firebird convertible on a PRIUS frame!!!!:thumbup:

Fat Charlie 06-06-2016 09:25 AM

Hydrogen burns well.

I believe that.

Can someone come up with a safe and cost effective on board HHO generator and a way to safely use it to help fuel a car? I believe so.

Have they?

There are a lot of industries involved, and maybe it would take more cooperation between them to make it happen than we're going to get. Maybe the military or NASA is going to have to see a need for it, drag companies together and drown them in research money to make it happen. DARPA isn't going to hand a new propulsion system to the services until they're satisfied it works, though, and they haven't. Maybe a crackpot hobbyist is going to accomplish it, and is probably going to have a public face at a place like this or a more chemistry oriented site.

Separating the fuel usage from the fuel generation is what's going to help. We've got solar electricity and we've got electric cars, but making a car haul its own solar electric generation capacity around isn't practical. Building a car that uses HHO and can carry some is a lot more feasible than making a generation system that's small enough, light enough and efficient enough to haul around everywhere.

But HHO works, why can't you see it? isn't an argument that addresses the real problems.

jamesqf 06-06-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

I was wrong to come here to see things disproved or proven.

Yes, you were. The Unicorn Corral section is, by intention, for those things that have been disproved, usually because they're laughably "not even wrong". It exist so that these topics can be separated from all the proved or potentially provable things you'll find in other sections.

gone-ot 06-06-2016 02:57 PM

Wise words:

http://weneedfun.com/wp-content/uplo...-Quotes-11.jpg

RedDevil 06-06-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 515760)
Hydrogen burns well.
Separating the fuel usage from the fuel generation is what's going to help. We've got solar electricity and we've got electric cars, but making a car haul its own solar electric generation capacity around isn't practical. Building a car that uses HHO and can carry some is a lot more feasible than making a generation system that's small enough, light enough and efficient enough to haul around everywhere.

Sounds like it, doesn't it?

Mind you, Brown's gas (HHO to some) is probably the most explosive gas in existence.
A gallon of HHO under atmospheric pressure would, if it gets ignited, detonate and shatter its container like a hand grenade.

One chemistry teacher at my highschool ignited an inch of Brown's gas foam on a soap tray, using a metal rod with a glowing hot tip, to show how explosive the gas really is.
We were impressed.
So were the 5 teachers from the neighbouring classes that came running in to investigate.
The classroom windows did not shatter, we were impressed with that too.

I remember one news article about a deadly car explosion in an oil drum which was apparently part of a fuel saving device.
What followed was a rant on those crazy fuel saving hippies that put their and others lives at stake for a few extra MPG...

We do not want that.

Come to think of it, the Corral might need a subdivision to ground practices that are too dangerous to handle, whether they save fuel or not.
What about the "Jurassic Parking"?

ChazInMT 06-06-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 515789)
Come to think of it, the Corral might need a subdivision to ground practices that are too dangerous to handle, whether they save fuel or not.
What about the "Jurassic Parking"?

Or "Darwins Last Stand"