EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Unsold cars around the world (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/unsold-cars-around-world-12143.html)

cfg83 02-02-2010 09:47 PM

Unsold cars around the world

Hello -

Found this by accident. Thought it was interesting (dated February 28, 2009) :

UNSOLD CARS AROUND THE WORLDhttp://static.businessinsider.com/~~...5437fc00b39ab6
http://static.businessinsider.com/~~...b9b98300faba6b

CarloSW2

luvit 02-02-2010 09:53 PM

bubble burst

Daox 02-02-2010 10:19 PM

I'd hate to try to find my new car in that mess!

KITT222 02-02-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 158668)
I'd hate to try to find my new car in that mess!

(ya keep hitting the PANIC button on your key fob)
Is that it? No... Wait, is that it? No... Wait, I think thats it. Yep. Just a few more miles. Dang! How do I turn off the alarm? I took out my alternator for fuel economy, and now I need to save that precious energy for driving home! Which button is it!!!

Wonder why no GM cars are featured. Maybe GM met supply with demand preciscly, or maybe its demand is too large for GM to supply. They did shut down for a while during bankrupcy court.

Bicycle Bob 02-02-2010 11:51 PM

Well, of course. They stopped making Metros!

bgd73 02-03-2010 12:01 AM

I like those photos.
I got to see somethnig like it more than once as a kid in the 80s truckdriving with my dad to the container ships, the auto ships were not far away. Big port for many machines. they used to move alot of them with drivers in big parking lots.
I specifically remember hundreds of subarus, of the 1980s kind, every time I see these photos. It was fun watching the mass movement to thier spots. CB was buzzing for some reason...those cars did something snappy/funny even back then. maybe it was the cannonball movie, setting the conversatons laughing, do not know.

knowing mint condition for any of those models is climbing to 3700 dollars...better than a stock market to hang onto a dozen or so...

imagine owning just ten dual range carbed...I give it 5k in a short time now, more than ever... :(

RobertSmalls 02-03-2010 07:57 AM

http://static.businessinsider.com/~~...5437fc00b397bc
It upsets me to see a proving ground being used as a parking lot. Me, I'd do some coastdown testing on the skidpad and determine how much more energy it takes to corner than to go straight. Or maybe I'd do a few laps of the test track at different speeds and create a real-world mph vs mpg plot.

wagonman76 02-04-2010 12:24 PM

My friend used to work at a GM dealer around 1998-1999 and back then was talking about these 2-3 year old unsold Centurys and Cieras that you could get for about half the price of when they were popular on the lot. Last production year was 96 for the a-body.

Christ 02-04-2010 12:54 PM

I'll take 10 at $500 each. :)

gone-ot 02-04-2010 02:13 PM

...so much for Japan's touted "just-in-time" product production and delivery!

tjts1 02-04-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 158649)
(dated February 28, 2009) :

These pictures are at least a year old. Some of the cars pictured haven't been in production for years now.
The Big Picture Blog Archive Unsold Cars Around the World
Quote:

February 28th, 2009
Unsold Cars Around the World
http://posterous.com/getfile/files.p...scaled.500.jpg
http://socialmedialawstudent.com/wp-...ader-fail1.jpg

Christ 02-04-2010 02:25 PM

Why does it really matter how old the pictures are?

I'm sure some of the cars that are pictured in those images are somewhat more than a year old, which is the whole point. They're cars that were/are (as of the time of the images) unsold, and probably will remain that way until their market value is so low, they're recycled.

I fail to understand where the date of the images has any relevance?

tjts1 02-04-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 159040)
Why does it really matter how old the pictures are?

Because the information is no longer true. Look up the dealer supply of cars any of the manufacturers. Making this sound like its current information is disingenuous.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 159040)
I fail to understand

Recognizing the problem is the first step to enlightenment.

Christ 02-04-2010 02:30 PM

That breeds the question of why it's no longer true. Is it because those vehicles eventually sold? (highly unlikely) or is it because they were "taken care of"? (more likely).

If it is indeed the latter, the information is still valid, as I believe the point of the information is to identify wasteful manufacturing, which still occurs.

tjts1 02-04-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 159046)
That breeds the question of why it's no longer true. Is it because those vehicles eventually sold?

A little more research on your part would go a long way. Yes, they were ALL sold eventually and if you haven't been paying attention, demand for new cars has increased dramatically in the last year. There was a little something called 'cash for clunkers' between then and now. You might have heard of it? Most of europe and the US had similar programs.

Christ 02-04-2010 02:33 PM

And yet, there are still unsold cars sitting in car lots. Hm.

Some of which are over a year old. LOL.

But that's OK, cuz it don't matter once they're over a year old, right?

tjts1 02-04-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 159048)
And yet, there are still unsold cars sitting in car lots.

This is a NOT TRUE but thanks for trying. Try doing your homework next time.

Christ 02-04-2010 02:37 PM

Really? It's not true? How do you explain the 2 lots local to me that have '07's in them with NEW stickers in the windows?

A little less condescension on your part would go a long way, as well, bud.

EDIT - Ok, one lot. The other one finally got Chrysler to pay for their cars after being shut down.

tjts1 02-04-2010 04:31 PM

How do you explain reality disagreeing with your point of view?

Christ 02-04-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 159047)
A little more research on your part would go a long way. Yes, they were ALL sold eventually and if you haven't been paying attention, demand for new cars has increased dramatically in the last year. There was a little something called 'cash for clunkers' between then and now. You might have heard of it? Most of europe and the US had similar programs.

Since you added this in 3 posts later, I'll address it now.

This only slightly moves the question from whether or not they were sold to how wasteful the practice became.

Also, I'm well aware of the existence of the cash for clunkers program. The point of the site, and consequently, my POV of this post, is about how wasteful those cars had become. Thanks for supporting it.

To end the argument, you're absolutely correct, to a degree. The overproduction doesn't occur on that scale anymore, and it was a timed thing, that was due to whatever circumstances they put on it.

However, you're absolutely incorrect in saying that there are no older cars that still sit on lots, and that's simple fact. I'm sure there also aren't boats and docks filled with cars that are waiting for delivery. It doesn't change the fact that you were being condescending in your response to the thread.

MadisonMPG 02-04-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 159052)
This is a NOT TRUE but thanks for trying. Try doing your homework next time.

Stop while you are ahead.

Arragonis 02-14-2010 02:43 PM

In the 60s BMC (remember them, the original Government Motors later known as British Leyland) build a "storage facility" at the Longbridge plant to hold unsold stock, also know at the time as just stock. It was a 7 story car park.

At the opening, the head foreman of the plant said "I'll fill that bugger in a week".

And he did.

Demand for some models was so slow that sometimes owners trading in an old car would find that their "new" one had an earlier chassis number than the one they had just traded in.

Which cheered them up no end.