EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Urban Dictionary on "Hypermiler" (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/urban-dictionary-hypermiler-23332.html)

Xist 09-16-2012 02:43 AM

Urban Dictionary on "Hypermiler"

I opened up StumbleUpon while waiting for something to load for school. I put in "Hypermiling" and after a cool review of the hybrid fusion, it sent me to Urban Dictionary: Hypermiler where it gave the definition as:

A Hypermiler is someone who drives 37.2 MPH on a interstate so they can save $0.75 cents on gas over the course of a week. They have no regard for anyone else or their time.

Hypermilers present a clear danger to to traffic by creating an unanticipated obstruction by simply driving well below the posted speed limit and expected speeds for a given road.
That hypermiler just caused an accident with a bus full of nuns to save fifteen cents on his daily commute!

The second definition referred to exceeding EPA standards with basic driving techniques. I rated it up and the other one down and hoped that a few of my fellow forum followers would show our support.

Please enjoy your weekend!

Piwoslaw 09-16-2012 04:37 AM

Putting what is actually written aside, I think that getting 'hypermiling' into the Urban Dictionary should be viewed as a win. It shows that saving fuel is now something more than just a sport for eco-nerds, it has gone mainstream.

As for the first definition, well, there are haters everywhere, they even show up on our forum. Some defs in the UD are hilarious, but this particular one didn't try very hard.

Xist 09-16-2012 07:31 AM

Some people just like to talk trash.

vao 09-16-2012 07:45 AM

Let em hate. I bet they were passed by someone at 35mph, whom they cut off a few miles back. Womp Womp.

user removed 09-16-2012 09:21 AM

Based on my personal experience my tank average speeds are about 37 MPH to 40 MPH, unless I take a trip and there is no local driving. If traffic backs up behind me then I speed up, even if it means over the limit. It's a compromise to me. I could probably get 150 MPG on my bike if I wanted to EOC and average 20 MPH but that is just not going to happen unless it's in a controlled situation with some financial benefit to me. I can be among the top ten for fuel consumption (low) on my bike and still cover 20 miles and 23 traffic lights in 35 minutes or less.

The highest concentration of traffic lights in my local route, require an average speed OVER the 45 limit to avoid most (90+%) of them, so I average right at 48 MPH pn that stretch of road.

regards
Mech

Sven7 09-16-2012 09:38 PM

I checked just now and found the first entry to be a positive one.

I personally think hypermiling (or at least aeromodding) will become the "new" hot rodding...

Xist 09-17-2012 01:19 AM

I am still seeing #1 "A Hypermiler is someone who drives 37.2 MPH on a interstate so they can save $0.75 cents on gas over the course of a week. They have no regard for anyone else or their time." 49 up, 53 down and #2 "A person who exceeds the Environmental Protection Agency's(EPA) fuel economy ratings for automobiles." 54 up, 46 down.

You would think that it would re-sort, right?

freebeard 09-17-2012 03:14 AM

I thought 'hypermiling' meant not slowing down for the corners. :)

And creeping up on lights that are about to change so you can sling-shot past cars that just had their brakes on.

niky 09-17-2012 04:09 AM

Always interesting to see people who'd impatiently passed me minutes ago for being too slow, stuck behind some semi because they're too dumb to time the pass, as I waltz lazily past the truck without ever having to change speeds.

Fat Charlie 09-17-2012 08:50 AM

But you don't understand- your passes don't count because you aren't focused on simply being in front of other people.

niky 09-17-2012 09:03 AM

Oh, but I am. I just don't show it. :D

Tango Charlie 09-17-2012 12:13 PM

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...ie/weaving.jpg

Xist 09-17-2012 12:59 PM

Great comments, everyone! I love beating cars off the line that beat me to the light.

TC, I want a bumper sticker that says that!

UFO 09-17-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 328317)
I thought 'hypermiling' meant not slowing down for the corners. :)

And creeping up on lights that are about to change so you can sling-shot past cars that just had their brakes on.

I think hypermiling can be defined as a whole array of fuel-saving techniques. You just identified 2 of my favorites.

Piwoslaw 09-17-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 328421)
You just identified 2 of my favorites.

My 2 favorites are:
  • drives 37.2 MPH on a interstate
  • have no regard for anyone else or their time
I mean, don't you guys do it that way, too?
:p

user removed 09-17-2012 03:07 PM

Guy in a Ranger blows by me today (I am going the 45 MPH limit). 2.5 miles between traffic lights on this stretch of route 143 from Newport News to Williamsburg. The next light stays green a maximum of 12 seconds in a 1 minute plus cycle. He gets to the light and gets nailed by the red light. I am about .5 mile behind him now but I roll through the light without even slowing down in the left lane. Another 300 yards and he blows by me again. I am still doing the 45 MPH limit. He must be doing 60-65 MPH in a 45 zone, 20 over is reckless in Virginia.

I keep moving along at 45 MPH and he leaves me in the dust, expecially after the limit goes up to 55 MPH. The road is non divided 4 lane without much traffic running parallel to the crowded Interstate 64 W to Richmond.

I would bet that the fuel he burned in those 3 miles was more than I used to ride 40 miles today and I never impeded his progress by one second, even though he was driving 20+ over the limit.

This happens all the time to me, I pass them at the light they just raced up to when it was red, and they catch me from a dead stop, when I am going the speed limit, in less than 2 tenths of a mile, only to race ahead and get caught by the next light, rinse and repeat ad stupidium.

regards
Mech

user removed 09-17-2012 03:10 PM

Thats hypermiling :D.

regards
Mech

UFO 09-17-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 328456)
... rinse and repeat ad stupidium.

regards
Mech

Indeed.

brucepick 09-17-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sven7 (Post 328277)
I checked just now and found the first entry to be a positive one.

I personally think hypermiling (or at least aeromodding) will become the "new" hot rodding...

+1 to that.
I've been saying, "MPG is the be HP".

Xist 09-17-2012 08:00 PM

When I drove a school bus I had two experiences that I would like to share. First was driving through a shopping area that had several lights that were impossible to make. You could only try to hurry so much in a bus and I wasn't, but I was next to some teenagers that had done all of the wrong things to an old Japanese care. Each time the light changed they burned rubber only to hit the brakes for another red as I rolled up. Sweet ride. They were effectively as fast as a school bus!

The other was I was waiting to turn left onto a freeway next to a very pretty Mustang. I do not know what they did to it, if it was any faster than stock, but you sure expected it to be.

I revved my engine.

The light turned green and the Mustang took off. A quarter mile later I passed it, pulled over, with a police car right behind.

Was I responsible for that? :)

Mustang Dave 09-17-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 328335)
But you don't understand- your passes don't count because you aren't focused on simply being in front of other people.

Yup! being behind 3 cars stopped at a red light is infinitely better than being behind that Mustang approaching the light @ 10MPH with no one in front of him. It happens to me quite frequently. And even if I have to stop, I'm the first one through the intersection when the light turns green...:thumbup:

Sven7 09-17-2012 10:05 PM

Yesterday I was riding in the back of the car with my dad driving. The light had just turned green; both lanes were blocked up with traffic waiting to go. A white Volvo 940 sedan flew by on the right shoulder at about 70mph, dust billowing up from the road surface. He turned onto a frontage road and stopped perpendicular to our road as we rolled by. I took down his plate number and called the cops.

Hows that for conservation of momentum?

euromodder 09-18-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 328318)
Always interesting to see people who'd impatiently passed me minutes ago for being too slow, stuck behind some semi because they're too dumb to time the pass, as I waltz lazily past the truck without ever having to change speeds.

That's something else that has amazed me in CA - getting passed by / passing the same cars over and over and over again ... all while I'm using CC set at or a bit below the speed limit.

Xist 09-18-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 328616)
That's something else that has amazed me in CA - getting passed by / passing the same cars over and over and over again ... all while I'm using CC set at or a bit below the speed limit.

When we lived in California people always got in front of my dad and slowed down. He would pass them and they would do it again.

niky 09-18-2012 06:06 AM

Some people just don't like big butts. Which makes it all the more perplexing when they ride yours for minutes (as you pull far right to give them plenty of room) before finally overtaking.

ksa8907 09-18-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 328632)
Some people just don't like big butts. Which makes it all the more perplexing when they ride yours for minutes (as you pull far right to give them plenty of room) before finally overtaking.

i have my rear view mirror adjusted so i have to look up a little to see behind me, out of sight out of mind. side mirrors are in the normal position though.

Xist 09-18-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 328632)

Oh! I can explain that one!

They are drafting!

Piwoslaw 09-18-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 328616)

And I'll explain this one: They are pulsing & gliding!

UltArc 09-18-2012 04:33 PM

Just read page one and three, I upped the positive and downed the negative, regarding OP :)

justjohn 09-18-2012 06:23 PM

Glad to see urban dictionary is now fixed.

JethroBodine 09-18-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 328737)
I upped the positive and downed the negative, regarding OP :)

Me, too.:thumbup:

Fat Charlie 09-19-2012 07:48 AM

Good work, everybody! Now get a good night's sleep.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl...duty_calls.png

wobombat 09-29-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

If you drive daily you can easily save an extra 200 bucks a year using these techniques
That seems to be an understatement. I found that if I save 20% on gas and drive 200 miles a week (average for me), I save about $500 in gas a year. There are a lot of people on this site who could easily get much higher gas savings, like 50%, and I bet a lot of you save more than $1,000 a year on gas because you hypermile.