EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   Use engine block heater to warm Catalyc converter ? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/use-engine-block-heater-warm-catalyc-converter-21573.html)

Cd 04-22-2012 02:22 PM

Use engine block heater to warm Catalyc converter ?

Would the Cat warm up faster if an engine block heater could be modified for it ?
Why not ?

cfg83 04-22-2012 02:40 PM

Cd -

I think it's a good idea but I also think the "scale" of temperatures is too wide. A Cat gets a lot hotter than a block heater.

But I could be totally wrong.

CarloSW2

t vago 04-22-2012 03:02 PM

Engine block heaters weren't designed to operate in free air, but immersed in coolant inside the engine block.

That being said, a properly installed block heater would still fire off your cat sooner. After all, waste heat energy is being shoved out the exhaust, that would have otherwise gone to heat up the engine block. How much sooner?... Eh. Tempted to say that you'd shave a few seconds off the cat's warm-up time.

Cd 04-22-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 302379)
Cd -

I think it's a good idea but I also think the "scale" of temperatures is too wide. A Cat gets a lot hotter than a block heater.

But I could be totally wrong.

CarloSW2

Right. I realize this, but I was thinking keeping the Cat partly warm versus frozen ( Canada eh ! ) might be beneficial .

Cd 04-22-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t vago (Post 302386)
Engine block heaters weren't designed to operate in free air, but immersed in coolant inside the engine block.

That being said, a properly installed block heater would still fire off your cat sooner. After all, waste heat energy is being shoved out the exhaust, that would have otherwise gone to heat up the engine block. How much sooner?... Eh. Tempted to say that you'd shave a few seconds off the cat's warm-up time.

Thank you ! I did not know that engine block heaters were immersed in coolant - but then since I live in scorching hot Texas, I had never seen one.
( In fact, on my first trip to Canada I saw all these cars with electrical wires hanging out the grilles and thought " Damn ! These Canadians have really got it together ! So many EVs ! :D )

Frank Lee 04-22-2012 04:22 PM

How long does it take for the cat to light off?

Heating it wouldn't save any fuel... just cut emissions for a minute or so. The heated O2 sensor is what helps fe and emissions the most.

cfg83 04-22-2012 04:24 PM

Cd -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 302394)
Thank you ! I did not know that engine block heaters were immersed in coolant - but then since I live in scorching hot Texas, I had never seen one.
( In fact, on my first trip to Canada I saw all these cars with electrical wires hanging out the grilles and thought " Damn ! These Canadians have really got it together ! So many EVs ! :D )

I think there are different kinds. The kind that is immersed in the coolant is definitely the best kind.

CarloSW2

Cd 04-22-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 302396)
How long does it take for the cat to light off?

Heating it wouldn't save any fuel... just cut emissions for a minute or so. The heated O2 sensor is what helps fe and emissions the most.

Frankly, Frank, the emissions are the reason for doing something like thiis.

C'mon its Earth Day :thumbup:

Cd 04-22-2012 06:10 PM

So we need a heater for the O2 sensor eh ?

Ryland 04-22-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 302415)
So we need a heater for the O2 sensor eh ?

Most 4 wire o2 sensors are heated, as far as I know the only non heated o2 sensor is the single wire o2 sensor.