EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Used Tesla or new Bolt/Leaf? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/used-tesla-new-bolt-leaf-37924.html)

redpoint5 10-22-2019 05:12 PM

Used Tesla or new Bolt/Leaf?

Found a private party Tesla S with a reconstructed title asking $29k.

41,000 miles
85 kWh battery
Smart air suspension
Tech package
Free Supercharging
3rd row jump seats
Premium sound
Black/Black

My rule of thumb with reconstructed titles is to target 70% of normal private party value. KBB said private party is about $35k, and Edmunds $31k. Splitting the difference would be $33k, and my 70% rule would make my offer somewhere around $23k.

That's the territory I can purchase a new Bolt or Leaf after all incentives are factored in. I might be able to get down to ~$20k or so on a new Bolt or Leaf.

Would you rather own a 2013 Model S for $23k, or a new Leaf for $20k?

I figure if we have another kid I'll want the extra room of the Tesla. Wonder if I can throw an infant car seat in those jump seats?

oil pan 4 10-22-2019 06:07 PM

How far do you have to drive?

I can look at mine for car seat hookups. I think it has them.

What incentives do you get for buying a used EV there?

redpoint5 10-22-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 610062)
How far do you have to drive?

I can look at mine for car seat hookups. I think it has them.

What incentives do you get for buying a used EV there?

I don't go more than 150 miles 1 way, but if I did, the Supercharging network would be handy. Still not sure I'd take an EV on a long road trip even if chargers are located conveniently. Kind of a moot point as my intention is to do all local driving with it.

I'm selling the Prius plug-in so my wife doesn't kill me for having too many vehicles. I've got the itch to plug in though, so an EV of some sort has been on my radar for years. Never figured I'd get a Tesla because I don't like spending much on a vehicle. $20k is pushing the limits for me. Most I've spent to date as a single guy is $17k, then $13k on the Prius when I was married.

I'm a big fan of reconstructed vehicles because people have a hard time getting financing, which reduces my competition for the vehicle. I've had good experiences so far with reconstructed vehicles. Normally I wouldn't consider a Tesla, but it's being sold private party and has a branded title, so it doesn't get any sweeter than that for me.

Anyhow, the new Leaf still has the full $7,500 federal tax credit. Oregon offers $2,500 for a new EV, and another $2,500 to modest income people for a new or used EV.

I wouldn't get any incentives buying private party, but they could substantially reduce the price of a new vehicle which is why I might be able to get a new Leaf for $20k or less.

Daox 10-22-2019 07:18 PM

Model S for sure. The Leaf hasn't taken the depreciation hit yet. I would imagine its much more car. You have access to the supercharger network. Probably a bunch more stuff.

redpoint5 10-22-2019 07:41 PM

Normally I'd agree, and I figured I would never own a new vehicle no matter how wealthy I ever become, but with ~$12,500 possibly available in subsidies, that covers the first couple years of depreciation. Used EVs are selling close to the same price as new ones, minus the subsidies.

In fact, I bet there is a little money to be made turning around and selling a new EV on the used market after taking the subsidies. It's against the rules, though those are squishy. I think the rule is you have to intend to own the vehicle for a couple years.

oil pan 4 10-22-2019 08:01 PM

Do you have a tesla dealer near by?

ME_Andy 10-22-2019 08:10 PM

A new Leaf would be last on my list, at least until their battery longevity is better. I'd go for Tesla #1 or Bolt #2.

oil pan 4 10-22-2019 08:36 PM

Battery life seems decent if you live in a mild climate.
My 2014 battery is still at 86% capacity.
From 2014 to 2018 it was in Illinois and it does pretty good in eastern NM where the summer days don't get too hot and the nights get down to about 70.

My leafs original 2011 battery got fried by socal heat in less than 3 years. As it was bought in L.A. and stayed there till 2013 as a lease, then when the dealer replaced the battery the guy bought it and moved to ill.

redpoint5 10-22-2019 08:38 PM

The unknown is the new Leaf battery longevity. I haven't visited forums recently, but perhaps a year later some data is starting to be collected. Some EV owners will track it on a monthly basis and chart the results.

Don't really care if a Tesla dealer is nearby since the car has no warranty and I'd be doing all repairs myself. Maybe that fact alone should have me take more than my standard 30% reduction... though it all comes down to what the seller is willing to accept. Based on Rich Rebuilds videos, repairing a Tesla as an owner sounds like a PITA. Then again, I expect any manufacturing defects should have shaken out by now.

oil pan 4 10-23-2019 09:52 AM

So far each leaf battery is better than the last.
The original 2011 and 2012 battery sucked.
The 2016 30kwh appears to be the best.
The newer 40kwh battery is still too new to know how it stacks up.
The only thing that may be bad about the 40kwh battery is Nissan put too many kwh in too small a box with no active cooling. But if it doesn't get real hot there it shouldn't be a problem.

nemo 10-23-2019 11:02 AM

What consideration is being given as to the age of the Tesla battery?

redpoint5 10-23-2019 11:11 AM

Well I've done no research on Teslas yet... time to sign up on a forum if I'm going to get serious about this. In general the Tesla batteries are holding up very well.

https://5vtj648dfk323byvjb7k1e9w-wpe...y-capacity.png

Hersbird 10-23-2019 12:46 PM

I think the Bolt is better if you can get all the tax breaks. If not, a used Bolt is better than a used Tesla at 1/2 the cost. Teslas are nice, but they are not $29k wrecked/used nice or $50k new nice. That short lived $35k price was the right price IMO and even then only makes sense financially if you also get the full tax breaks which were gone by the time the $35k Tesla popped up for a month.

redpoint5 10-23-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 610124)
I think the Bolt is better if you can get all the tax breaks. If not, a used Bolt is better than a used Tesla at 1/2 the cost. Teslas are nice, but they are not $29k wrecked/used nice or $50k new nice. That short lived $35k price was the right price IMO and even then only makes sense financially if you also get the full tax breaks which were gone by the time the $35k Tesla popped up for a month.

Used Bolts are going for ~$20k, so not half the price... I wouldn't purchase the reconstructed Tesla unless I could get it nearer to $23k. The guy isn't getting back to me though, so he seems uninterested in selling, or has already sold it and just didn't remove the ad.

The $35k Model 3 still exists, though it's now $35,400 (plus delivery) and has to be ordered by phone. Tesla is in the lowest federal tax credit ($1,875) before it expires entirely. Chevy is right behind. Nissan probably has another year or so before it triggers the tax credit phase out, so maybe holding out until then makes sense.

vskid3 10-23-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 610079)
Based on Rich Rebuilds videos, repairing a Tesla as an owner sounds like a PITA. Then again, I expect any manufacturing defects should have shaken out by now.

This would be my biggest ding against the Tesla. Your main maintenance item, tires, will be more expensive than the Bolt.

While the S would be quicker and nicer, I would go with the Bolt for its smaller size and probably cheaper maintenance and repair costs. Supercharger access would make the S easier to road trip in, but it sounds like you don't plan on doing that.

Hersbird 10-24-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 610125)
Used Bolts are going for ~$20k, so not half the price... I wouldn't purchase the reconstructed Tesla unless I could get it nearer to $23k. The guy isn't getting back to me though, so he seems uninterested in selling, or has already sold it and just didn't remove the ad.

The $35k Model 3 still exists, though it's now $35,400 (plus delivery) and has to be ordered by phone. Tesla is in the lowest federal tax credit ($1,875) before it expires entirely. Chevy is right behind. Nissan probably has another year or so before it triggers the tax credit phase out, so maybe holding out until then makes sense.

Everyone was claiming on here they could get new Bolts for a bit over $20k after all incentives. There were lease deals in California for under $99/mo zero money down. I guess those days are gone, or the people who paid $22k for a Bolt think it will still bring them $20k 2 years and 40,000 miles later. I agree though $20k used is what I found as well, but 40k used is what I see Teslas.

oil pan 4 10-25-2019 09:29 AM

Looks like the 40kwh leaf are hitting 90% capacity after 20,000 miles and not even in hot climates.

oil pan 4 10-25-2019 09:31 AM

Looks like 40kwh leafs are hitting 90% before 25,000 miles even in cool climates.

redpoint5 10-25-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 610227)
Looks like 40kwh leafs are hitting 90% before 25,000 miles even in cool climates.

That's not good. The Bolt loses 1% every 8,000 miles, so losing 1% every 2,500 is really bad.

If the trend held, the battery would be near 50% in 10 years. I wonder if the new Leaf will have a lot of battery warranty claims like the old one?

Piotrsko 10-25-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 610231)
That's not good. The Bolt loses 1% every 8,000 miles, so losing 1% every 2,500 is really bad.

Really? Crap, my pack should be near death then. WAIT, it's so low that I can't actually accurately measure how far it has degraded and I technically abuse it.

There HAS to be yahoos out there doing some really stupid things to batteries.

redpoint5 10-25-2019 10:59 AM

Hyundai predicts an oversupply of EVs 2nd half of 2020, which if correct, would prompt discounting, which then would put downward pressure on used EVs.

Maybe I'll wait another year and see if used Model 3s pop up, or screaming deals on new EVs are available.

oil pan 4 10-26-2019 11:17 AM

I would like to get a 40kwh pack.
Even at 80% that's still about 10 more kwhs than my current pack ever had.
I'm interested in the 60kwh pack too. It can be at 50% and still have more range than the original pack ever had.