Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Any DashDyno users here?/Additive testing

I've seen a lot of posts regarding Scan Guage and others and I realize DD is kind of expensive, but I bought one because of the logging and dyno functions.

I have developed a fuel additive that boosts HP and logically would increase mileage (if driven "normally") and like any MPG mod, should decrease overall emissions/mile (which was the intent of creating it). EPA registered for 3 years now. Gas or diesel or E-85.

I'm looking for advice which OBD functions would be the best choice for logging to evaluate fuel economy. I can log up to 16 items. I can log MAF or MAP derived instant and average MPG, load, RPM, LT/FT fuel trim, mph, or any thing else the OBD will provide.

I would also like to offer any Austin, TX area DashDyno owner a free sample for testing (about 3 months worth), if you'll share your data. Also would like to provide it to experts on this forum who are open to giving their honest objective/subjective evaluation of it. Preferably with data.

Because it is flammable, it has to go by (UPS) ground if shipped anywhere and that's why I don't have a buy button on my site. I just haven't worked out logistics for practical shipping of the small amounts used by individual consumers. Open to suggestion on that topic as well!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
FYI, please see this thread:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...uel-15251.html

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I read it head to tail. Pretty snarky. I'm used to skepticism. I'm looking for advice on what to log primarily. I wasn't offering to sell any to anyone. In fact, on my site, as I said, there is no buy button. I didn't put a link to my site anyway. I only made the offers out of politeness. I know what a reputation fuel additives have in general. I'm certainly not about to shell out 13K plus per vehicle to some arrogant EPA engineer to verify the obvious. It's a lot more popular with racers than hyper-milers, but I am interested in tweaking optimum mileage for my own use.

Again, what I need are the best things to log for fuel economy analysis and possibly advice from DD users, as I have not mastered the device. Any tips on that might be useful. I have RTFM, but it is understandably written more for performance users.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
A racer would say: put it on a dyno. (A real dyno, to mininize as much variability as possible.)

That's what I would say too.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
You already said you can monitor instant and average MPG, that is what you would need to evaluate fuel economy. You should be able to monitor ignition timing as well.

All of this research is not really worth it for fuel economy concerns, because the increased fuel economy (if any) will not offset the additional cost of buying your product.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
A racer would say: put it on a dyno. (A real dyno, to mininize as much variability as possible.)

That's what I would say too.
I did. That's what made me decide to continue with the project. Unfortunately, because someone else was paying for the testing
I didn't get the hard copies, but I did get some (crappy) screen captures from the video at the end of the session. I had the camera focused on the gas analyzer as we were testing it under load, but it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck when we ran the second dyno test (the first one with the additive in) and I rushed to the gas station to get more gas to mix more in. 10/18/2010. The tech asked me if I had put "liquid dynamite" in it. I'm assuming he meant nitroglycerine. BTW, it would have taken 4 gallons of nitromethane in 16 gal. of gas to get the results I got with 4 mL of the additive. I made it stronger since then.

The Dash Dyno duplicates the curves of the "real" DynoJet chassis dyno almost perfectly, but it's a pita to enter in all the info. I seldom have the barometric pressure data, frontal area, etc. available to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b4after.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	14862   Click image for larger version

Name:	b4aftergraph.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	14863   Click image for larger version

Name:	doublit.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	14864   Click image for larger version

Name:	doubledose1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	14865  
Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
You already said you can monitor instant and average MPG, that is what you would need to evaluate fuel economy. You should be able to monitor ignition timing as well.

All of this research is not really worth it for fuel economy concerns, because the increased fuel economy (if any) will not offset the additional cost of buying your product.
Setting a price is difficult. It's worth a lot more in performance markets than in fuel economy markets. My friends b*tch and moan about paying me 1/3 of the money they save using it. In bulk it would be pretty cheap, but I don't want to be filling tiny bottles with a syringe and shipping it, though it might be worthwhile for fleets.

I'd still like to find the "sweet spot" for my '99 Ranger 2.5L I'd still Like to figure it out even though I don't drive much and use about 15 gallons of fuel a month. Every dollar counts for me. Watching the instant mileage is amusing, but watching the speedometer and the road is more important to me.

Reply  Post New Thread