Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thinking about selling my 94 metro XFI

it has 95,000 original miles on it, it's blue all the paint, except the roof, looks great. The paint on the roof is a bit faded from snow sitting on it in the winter.

I took out the back seat as it was pretty much too small for anyone to fit in there, and did extensive soundproofing and built a wooden platform for the back seat area, so there is a flat carpeted area behind the driver and passenger seat. I currently have the passenger seat out of it too, just to give me more room to carry stuff. It has air conditioning.

I have no idea what this thing is worth. Any ideas? It runs like a champ and I bought it maybe 8 years ago and just used it for running around locally in my town. I maybe put 5000 miles on it in 8 years. No issues with it to my knowledge. Can someone give me an idea of its value?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
From your brief post, ~$1,300.

Kelly Blue Book is a common source of checking car prices. There is also the Black Book, and other sources of information like NADA. Some people like KBB, some don't. I think it is fair for a ballpark, especially when one doesn't know the value of their car, or they aren't very good with cars/resources. You can also search your local area.

Kelley Blue Book

Try craigslist > sites and New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars for Sale and Reviews at AutoTrader.com for other ballpark values.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I checked most of the usual places and there aren't very many of them for sale. Especially with the low mileage and with no problems- and I didn't mention, not a bit of rust.

If they were for sale all over the place, I would think the KBB would be accurate, but since I only found a couple of them for sale coast to coast, and most of them were either beat or had 200K+ miles on them, I thought that there may be a little premium on them. I looked on ebay, and there were none for sale.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
I paid $1,000 for a no rust 95 Metro sedan that needed a tune up. It had very faded paint and oh, um 200,000 miles.

For an XFI, I'd ask more than Blue Book.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
A rare car is a double edged sword- rare can mean hard to find, and it can mean little known.

If you are not in a dire position to sell, and your vehicle is in better condition then all of the rest, I would charge more. If you need to sell, I would stay competitive with the others. If you posted images and more details, I would imagine you could even have offers on here.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
A rare car is a double edged sword- rare can mean hard to find, and it can mean little known.

If you are not in a dire position to sell, and your vehicle is in better condition then all of the rest, I would charge more. If you need to sell, I would stay competitive with the others. If you posted images and more details, I would imagine you could even have offers on here.
This is valid. The higher price can mean longer to sell.

But, over on a Geo Metro Forum, there were some threads of eBay XFI and non-XFI Metro's going for way more than KBB. I don't think asking $2,500 for an XFI, in good shape, is unreasonable.

Pictures, description, etc can really help the sale.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

As I stated, as soon as it stops snowing and clears up a bit, I will clean up the car and post some pics. The one thing I really love about that car, is I can ALWAYS find a place to park, as it is like driving a go-cart.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
I'd ask $2500 if it runs fine. Really depends what you want out of it
Old 02-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
A car like that is worth a premium to the right person. The question is, how long do you want to wait until the right person comes along? 20 year old eco-cars are a very specific niche market, so a premium price could take a very long time to get. You stated there are none on Ebay - why don't you post yours there and see what happens? Set a fairly high reserve price on it and just see how much interest you get in it, if nothing else it will give you a guideline on how much to advertise it for locally.

Market value books are pretty much pointless on a vehicle that old and specific as they base their averages on average transaction prices, so if KBB says it's worth $800, that's because 99% of the 20 year old Metros that have sold in the last year have 200k miles and were beaters. The book doesn't see the condition of the cars, it just sees the numbers and averages them and applies "correction" factors for mileage, region, etc. I just sold my teal '94 Civic Si with low KMs for way more than "book" value, to the only person that looked at it, and he paid full price no questions asked. He was the right person, and there was nothing comparable to it on the market, so it's not like he could say "Well there are 3 other ones like it for sale I need to go look at first." It did, however, take 6 weeks for the right person to finally see the ad and come look at the car.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Depends on the market:

Some guy here in central Florida sold his XFI (pretty much same car as yours) the other day on Craigslist for 2,995.00 in less than a day. He just laughed at me when I offered 1,400.00, which is a little over Kelley Blue Book value here.

If I could somehow teleport yours here I'd buy it . . . . .

Reply  Post New Thread