Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1998 Honda civic hx-MI

The Good:
Has 170k miles on it (last one had 300k before I sold it to my brother in law who is still driving it)
Have most of the maintenance records from previous owner to current.
Timing belt done at 90k
Many new good quality parts
Most everything works (even A/C)
Power windows, Locks, Steering (yes some civics in 98 had no power steering!)
Excellent Fuel Economy with "proof" -gas receipts
Newer brakes and exhaust
Driven with love (no smoky burnouts or racing mustangs from this guy)

The Bad
Slight trunk leak during heavy rain (new trunk seal?)
Small holes in trunk from spoiler (OEM spoiler replacement should fix it, it did not have a big goofy wing from what I can tell.)
Sunroof doesn't open (but doesn't leak so who cares)
Gas gauge issue (see below)
Only has 2 doors (so much for baby seat...)

I can get more pics, but it's a bit buried in snow at the moment. The tint has been removed from that back corner glass, and this was before I replaced the muffler.

I've owned the car for a bit now (put about 12k on it), and it has been great. I used it to commute to college for a couple of semesters. I drove it about 80 miles a day in mostly 55 zones through a few small towns and got on average 41-42 mpg (have some gas receipts for reference). Selling because 2 doors doesn't cut it anymore. I personally have worked on the car to ensure it's longevity by replacing the following items: Lower radiator hose (bad clamp caused slow leak, but I replaced the hose anyway), rear brake shoes and hardware, new distributor cap & rotor + plugs. All three belts, the idler pulley, and the front motor mount are new.

The A/C worked all last summer and cooling system has been flushed and the coolant replaced with long life green antifreeze. The thermostat was also replaced. Heat works great on all speeds. Both the driver and passenger window regulator/motor have been replaced. Oil was changed every 5k miles with Valvoline max life high mileage oil and a Purolator Pure One oil filter. I often used Seafoam injector cleaner in the fuel system. All vacuum lines and the PCV valve were replaced, as was the valve cover gasket. This car was sold to a kid who owned it for probably a year. Consequently, the car came with a loud "sport" muffler, a blue valve cover (for extra HP?), and some cheesy looking euro style taillights.The muffler was replaced with a thrush turbo (fairly quiet) and a nice chrome tip. The taillights are now factory 99-00 SI style and look very clean.

Clutch engages very well and has never slipped on me but I don't know the service record on it. The car still has the factory light weight wheels, some in better condition then others (could use a repaint). The tires are in o.k. condition, but could be replaced. The car is very clean inside and out and has no rust on it. It has an aftermarket CD player with AUX hookup. The car did come with a spoiler from the factory I believe, which was removed at some point. Because of this there are a few small holes in the trunk, but I believe that a used factory unit would mount cleanly to it (I looked for a used one half heartedly, and I'm 95% sure the holes are the factory holes). I have a huge folder from the previous owner that got a lot of his work done at the Honda dealer including complete new OEM exhaust, EGR valve, front brakes, and a timing belt job at 90k miles including new water pump to name a few. I will tell you that before I bought this I looked for a clean HX with a 5-speed in good condition for over 6 months, and this was the car I found.

The only issues I know about with the car are 1. The trunk gets a little wet inside when it rains hard. I suspect either the spoiler holes, or it needs a new seal. I was planning on replacing these items this spring before I sold it and can adjust the price accordingly. 2. The sunroof doesn't function. I never bothered with it after discovering this. It didn't leak, so I was happy. 3. The fuel gauge has 2 times jumped all the way up to full and stayed there for a while. It usually clears itself up by the next day, and is probably just a dirty connection at the fuel sending unit. In any case, It wasn't worth messing with as it only happened 2 times, and I pretty much just filled up at 400 miles on the trip-odometer anyways.

Price: negotiable, i know sort of where i'd like to be but i'd consider reasonable offers.

thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread