Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Veg oil and SVO guys!

Hey there,

Just to share my experience and see what others are doing.

I have a 2000 mk1 focus, 1.8tddi - luckily a car which has no issue running veg.

Currently I am running 55-45 veg-diesel. This is a tiny bit sluggish to start, but nothing to worry about. 50-50 starts easier. The reason I am running these ratios is that I haven't had the time to mix petrol and veg - I know it isn't great but I bung in 24 litres of veg and 22 of diesel and away i go. We have high flow rate diesel pumps at a local garage - I think this helps it mix in the tank. Currently around 50mpg.

I have run 90-10 veg petrol - tougher to start. Plenty of time on the coils and a good few turns but when she is warm it purrs. Seems quieter! Again ariung 50mpg.

I did run 86-14 veg petrol to see if it started any better - no appreciable difference. Slightly worse mpg.

I am going to experiment with more mixtures to see about getting an easier start. I am also going to run 95-5 when the summer sets in.

Has anyone tried acetone in the veg? I have read some seemingly scientific reviews saying how good it is. Will link later.

All the best,
Mike

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Have you had bad experiences doing so, Odin? I have done a good bit of research, and I wouldn't leave veg in it if I wasn't using it every day
Old 04-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A shame to hear that! Cleaning the injectors is a pain I imagine!

This is pure rapeseed oil - not used chip oil, maybe that is why it runs better for me?

I am ging to try and source used oil for my dads lister engine, and to experiment with my car. I will see if it is feasible to filter finer than 5 microns. Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder what car you ran it in?

Mike

Reply  Post New Thread