EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   veggie oil rx7 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/veggie-oil-rx7-17097.html)

Odin 04-29-2011 01:58 AM

veggie oil rx7

nope

cleanspeed1 04-29-2011 03:18 AM

Very nice! What are you going to do as far as dealing with the final drive ratio in the rearend?

I'll make an early prediction: properly geared and driven, at least double what you have done with the rotary.

UFO 04-29-2011 12:49 PM

Way cool. Yes, those rotaries had very low torque and numerically high final drive ratios, so you may have to gear it down to realize decent highway speeds and best mileage.

Christ 04-29-2011 12:58 PM

Soooo... Id love to see someone make a rotary diesel. Just sayin'.

cleanspeed1 04-29-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 234979)
Soooo... Id love to see someone make a rotary diesel. Just sayin'.

Anyone out there make a rotary diesel small enough for a car or light truck app?

Christ 04-29-2011 02:00 PM

Anyone make a rotary diesel at all?

Never heard of one, personally, but can't imagine it would be difficult to do. Two small DI injectors per rotor, right where the spark plugs should have never been put, with one for enrichment/boost and one for standard fueling.

Wouldn't have the diesel knock, would run much more smoothly, and rotary engines can handle big boost without coming apart.

IMO, they WERE a superior design. They had flaws, but so do piston engines.

For clarification, I'm referring to Wankel engines.

Christ 04-29-2011 03:17 PM

The a addition of material to the rotors to up the compression can heal the apex sealing issue. More bulk of metal around the area that the seal rides in gives it (THE SEAL) less mechanical advantage over the rotor's edge.

IMHO, the biggest problem I know of is the rotor side seals and burning oil. Not so much of a problem in a diesel... Lol.

barkl0r 04-29-2011 08:28 PM

Very cool! A friend of mine used to have an rx7 rotary turbo he will love this.

I run veg oil (rapeseed) usually 90-10with petrol or 50-50 with diesel. (mk 1 focus, 1.8 tddi) brilliant stuff :)

Christ 04-29-2011 10:35 PM

Same thing here... Limited by what I can find, build, afford... Diesels in the states go for a premium in some areas...

barkl0r 04-30-2011 04:11 AM

We are lucky to have diesels yeah. I picked my focus up in jan and I've done 3+k on veg since I switched a month ago. Great stuff! I hadnt planned that when buying the car - lucked out there. Most modern common rail diesels can't run this without heavy mods. My car just drinks it happily :)

As far as the scrappers - haven't been around recently, but there are always a pile of wrecked type-R civics and the usual boy racer numbers. Gross story; a friend saw one at a scrappy and jumped in the drivers seat to evaluate the cockpit - a fixer perhaps. There was blood and brain matter all over the dash :S obviously a nasty crash!!