EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Very first post...this is what im working with. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/very-first-post-what-im-working-14826.html)

sx4dude2013 10-10-2010 06:24 PM

Very first post...this is what im working with.

Hey. I currently have a 2008 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback (the FWD version). Im 18 yrs old and have a VERY heavy foot. After my speeding ticket (94 mph in a PSL of 70 mph) I invested in a nice radar detector and an even lighter foot. When I slowed down (to 80 mph) I noticed my MPG went up from like 22 mpg to 26 mph. Which I was still un happy with. So this weekend I did my first experiment....

I was planning on taking a trip about 100 miles in total to Savannah this weekend. I read some tips from here and learned a lot about driving styles.
My first step was to increase my tire pressure to 42 PSI (the max is 51 PSI COLD), i also shifted into Neutral @ stoplights and was very easy on the gas. On my trip of about 109 miles I averaged 35.47 MPG! Btw, this is in an automatic car. I do carey a large sub box, 2 amps, and a spare tire around all of the time :( I also have mud flaps...
I did an average speed of 65 mph, about 40 miles of the trip I was behind a big rig which def helped. I ran the whole trip with the A/C off and the windows cracked.
Overall I am very happy with almost 36 mpg from a car that has an EPA rating of 30 mpg. WHAT OTHER TIPS COULD I DO THAT ARE SIMPLE!!!
Examples - is it legal to drive with mirrors folded in, should I increase my tire pressure to 50 PSI, im gonna clean my K&N air filter, Im also going to roll the windows up, I ordered an ULTRA-GUAGE to help me monitor mpg, and what speed is best to run on an interstate with a PSL of 70 mph? I could do 65 mph behind the big rig comfortably...what MPH would my car do best at?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL OF UR HELP/ADVICE :)

saand 10-10-2010 08:35 PM

Welcome to the group,
Regarding the best MPH for your car, it will depend heavily on your car, when i started out i did a few test runs up and down a road with a ultragauge type device and worked out the most efficient speed to run at. For me it ended up being about 60kph which is where my auto transmission is in its top gear and has the torque converter locked.
Since i did that test i have overridden the control of the torque converter and the gear selection so its not so valid any more and it will be different for a manual transmission as well.
im not sure of the legality in your area about mirrors but i checked my road worthy rules for my country and state and saw nothing about mirrors so i took them off, other people in your area might be able to point you in the right direction here.

Some other easy tips for you
- pulse and glide, can get a fairly good gain but it can cause damage to your auto transmission but i have been doing it a while and i have had no issue yet (but i am happy to damage my car in the interest of doing fun things)
- A grill block is easy
- wheel covers are easy and give some good gain
- Car idle reduction and cold car idle reduction (personally gave me good results but that is mostly based on my low distance trips)
- Hydraulic Power steering to manual conversion (medium difficulty) but it can give some good gains
- If you do a lot of stop and go driving weight reduction can give you a little gain and is easy to do.

If your after a far more comprehensive list have a look at the wiki
Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder
it has hours of effort and cost associated with mods that people have tried also some have directions how to perform the mod so you can work out how easy it is.

you can also gauge how popular some mods are by how many users have posted MPG benefit about the mod

There is also a hypermilling/driving techniques wiki but it doesn't yet have much more info than what is in the 100 + tips page

good luck

cfg83 10-10-2010 10:13 PM

sx4dude2013 -

Welcome to EM! Me likey your car. Did you know it's also a Fiat Sedici designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro's Italdesign studio? :

http://img.automobile.de/modellbilde...9542893850.jpg

In terms of protecting your auto-tranny, do you know if your SX4 can be "flat-towed"? If it can, then there is the *possibility* but not the fact that you can coast in neutral.

CarloSW2

sx4dude2013 10-10-2010 10:48 PM

haha. I did not know that. Mine looks A LOT different! and im not sure if it can towed flat? I will look into it...

NeilBlanchard 10-11-2010 12:26 PM

I think an "investment" in an Ultra Gauge is the best thing you can do to improve your mileage. When you see instant feedback on your fuel use, is the best way to tame a heavy foot?

That and a fuel log. Welcome to EM!