EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Video: ForkenCycle! (Dirt cheap forklift based motorbike conversion) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/video-forkencycle-dirt-cheap-forklift-based-motorbike-conversion-1683.html)

MetroMPG 04-02-2008 11:10 PM

Video: ForkenCycle! (Dirt cheap forklift based motorbike conversion)

Russ Gries has built a forklift based motorbike, and in the video says he's 30 bucks ahead of the game after the scrap refund.

I interviewed Russ for an article about his project on the EcoModder Blog. For the sake of brevity, I couldn't include all the information he provided in the blog, so I'm including it here in the forum instead. Watch the video if you haven't seen it yet, then scroll down all the details....

First test ride...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzpQWREZME

Photo slideshow of the build progress...

http://www.youtube.com/v/ISzpQWREZME

Fork truck details:
  • Raymond model 20 reach truck, a stand up fork truck
  • 3,440 lbs scrap weight (that's with all the non-steel stuff stripped off already)
  • 24 volts / 350 amp main fuse (gives you a hint of the controller rating)
  • SCR controller (same kind that came with the Baker we stripped to build the ForkenSwift)
  • motor rated 2.3 HP at 3000 rpm (resurfaced commutator before using it in the bike)
Motorcycle:
  • 1976 Hond CB550
  • stock "highway bars" (where the front batts are mounted)
  • scooter seat
Build details:
  • Russ did all the fabrication, so far about 120 hours worth
  • original transmission is retained
  • electric motor belt drives the former alternator shaft into the transmission
  • where the ICE used to be, he bolted a plate (to keep the transmission oil in) and mounted the electric motor to the plate
Costs to date:
  • $50.00 - motorcycle
  • $63.34 - tires, front & back
  • $2.25 - wire loom
  • $3.17 - indicator bulbs
  • $10.11 - oil, 3 quarts
  • $3.07 - oil filter
  • $28.59 - gates belt 720-8mgt-30
  • $75.77 - pully p44-8mgt-30
  • $46.80 - pully p22-8mgt-30
  • $13.95 - taperlock 1012- 1&1/8"
  • $8.00 - taperlock 1008- 1&1/8"
  • $8.99 - female plug for charging
  • $7.16 - male plug for charging
Parts subtotal to date = $351.21

Less... $335.60 scrap refund from recycling the forklift chassis, battery & copper.

Total cost: $15.61

What's left to do:

Of course the price is going to go up more. One problem Russ ran into was the manual for the bike listed the wrong ratio for the alternator shaft, so he ended up buying the WRONG size pulleys to get the ratio he was after. He was aiming for a 60 mph top speed, but the pulleys he's got limit him to 35 tops. So he's going to have to probably get at least one new pulley and a new belt.

And there's brake work, speedo fix, DC/DC converter, cosmetic work ... all the other stuff that's never really finished on an EV.

Ryland 04-03-2008 12:31 AM

I can't youtube due to Dial Up... but I was thinking about an electric motorcycle the other day, wondering how it would work to use a shaft drive motorcycle so a longer motor could be used, thus allowing a cheaper motor like a golf cart, or forklift motor to be used, the Honda cx500 or 650 would be perfect, as they are a water cooled engine that tends to leak at the water pump on to the alternator, so they sit till they seize, and are hefty enough for a few batteries.

bennelson 04-03-2008 10:00 AM

http://reverendgadget.com/images/EMW10009.jpg

Reverend Gadget has a 72V BMW e-motorcycle with a driveshaft.

That's pretty much the only one I could find a while back when I did a web search.

When I was first looking for a cycle for conversion, I had the opportunity to get a really good deal on a big old Goldwing. I was told by other EV motorcycle people that a driveshaft is relatively ineffecient compared to a chain. Also, the Goldwing just plain weighs a lot, although it would have LOTS of room for batteries.

Here is Reverend Gadget's cycle

I like the "Forkencycle" Guy's reverse gear setup. I am guessing he did it just because he could. The momentary start button connected to the reversing contactor is a slick little setup.

Low center of gravity on that thing. Any electric motorcycle I have seen so far usually has a suprisingly nice balance to it.

Peakster 04-03-2008 03:53 PM

That video is pretty sweet. The thing moves pretty darn well.

bennelson 04-09-2008 12:03 PM

I read through the comments on the Forkencycle video at YouTube. He used the motor from a Raymond stand-on reach truck. Same Make and style as what I took apart in my driveway in January (although a different model).

I noticed the motor is double-ended. Sometimes motors like that have a parking brake on the back end. Looks like he is using the back end of the motor to drive the cycle. When he shows the other side of the cycle, you can see a threaded shaft sticking out from the motor.

MetroMPG 04-09-2008 12:12 PM

There's a lot more info coming. I've been in touch with Russ (the builder) and interviewed him for a blog post I'm writing. Look for something on Friday.

MetroMPG 04-11-2008 02:14 PM

I've updated the first post in this thread with more info about the ForkenCycle (aka VoltZilla).

MetroMPG 04-14-2008 11:39 PM

Added a second YouTube vid to the first post in this thread - Russ posted a photo/slideshow of the build progress.

bennelson 04-15-2008 10:32 AM

Just watched the "photo slide show"

That forklift is totally the same one as I had!

OK - so I double-checked the plate from a photo I had - mine was a model 31, not a model 20 - sure looks the same though!!!!! Must have had the same body, but mine was the 36Volt version.

MetroMPG 04-15-2008 09:58 PM

VoltZilla picked up by About.com motorcycle blog:

D.I.Y. Trend of the Moment: Electric Motorcycles

1) Not sure why it's a "trend of the moment". People have been converting bikes for years.

2) I'm surprised he didn't link to Ben's bike too.

Chris D. 04-16-2008 04:05 AM

I dig it, maybe he could get away with a simular battery setup like Gadgets?

Was I the only one that noticed the convertable El Camino?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...CaminoVert.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...aminoVert2.jpg

I dig El Camino/Ute body styles..

bennelson 04-16-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 19813)
2) I'm surprised he didn't link to Ben's bike too.

:( (thrives on the public's praise)

Good thing there's a comments section. There SHALL be mention of my cycle!!!!

Still working on starting that biker gang....

-Ben

MetroMPG 04-16-2008 10:08 AM

I noticed the Camino too - the guy's a genuine tinkerer. I wonder if he's got it hinged, so he can just flip it...

MetroMPG 04-16-2008 02:16 PM

TreeHugger picked up the story.... Annnnnd... they mentioned Ben's bike again :D

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...e-forklift.php

bennelson 04-17-2008 08:26 PM

I talked to Russ on the phone the other day.

He actually put MACHINING into his cycle! Pretty cool how he rigged the motor to the transmisson.

We must have an electric motorcycle rally sometime.

Anyone going to Hybridfest in Madison, WI?

MetroMPG 04-17-2008 08:50 PM

Ben, Dan & I were talking about it, yup. Big EM meetup?

MetroMPG 04-17-2008 08:52 PM

PS: Russ adds...

Quote:

I have been riding it around, it's so much fun! I will add it to the EV Album too when I get a distance rating... all most there!

Pully swap is done... but the motor at high speeds can't keep up with the wind resistance @ 35-40 mph. Still doing some testing with it.

And just so everyone knows yeah i did make a "el convertible", as I call it, and yes, it just folds back in to the bed. I will post some pics on my cardomain.com site. look for rwg42985 and you can see some other things I have come up with.

Shabamsev 04-18-2008 09:04 PM

hello every one! its Russ i finally got around to making a login... lol
so i have been doing some testing and... i did something dumb... haha. I tested the motor rpm... it is rated at 3000 rpm i was only getting 2200 rpm... why you ask? when i smoothed out the brushes i did not smooth them out to the right radius for the commutator... so only the center of the brushes were hitting. i thought they would "burn" to the right radius, and they are but it was taking a lot longer that i would have thought, so i took them out and smoothed them out to the right radius and BAM! it was running much closer to 3000 rpm, and should have a lot more HP. its raining here so i did not get the chance to test ride it :( but i will keep you posted.

my cardoamin is www.cardomain.com/id/rwg42985
I will post the Elconvertible Sunday! look for it!

This meet up would be fun!! i think it would take me a wile to get there tho... maybe i can go to gas stations and "plug in" i must unplug there pop machines first!!! haha

Cya! Russ

bennelson 04-20-2008 12:09 PM

WOW - That sound system on the ElConvertable is CRAZY! One more yellow top and you could just drive the car around with the batteries!!!!

Shabamsev 04-20-2008 04:38 PM

hey- The car with the sound system is a 1986 GMC Caballero! thats my show car! The Elconvertible was a parts car for the project! its is a 1979 Elcamino, Allright here is the Elconvertible Check it out! let me know what you think? !!! lata-Russ :turtle::thumbup:

Chris D. 04-20-2008 09:05 PM

I love it!

If I still had my other ride, it would have happened :)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...T/MVC-274S.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...98fORIGNAL.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...M0539small.jpg

bennelson 04-20-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabamsev (Post 20751)
thats my show car!

My mistake.

Still, both cars are very cool.

Love the hinge system on the El Camino.

MetroMPG 04-20-2008 11:24 PM

That flip top is hilarious. Nice going Russ.

MetroMPG 04-25-2008 11:21 PM

Guess what's currently the top story at AutoblogGreen?

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/04...iy-its-beauti/

LostCause 04-26-2008 03:59 AM

The electric motorcycle is cool, but this thing is awesome. :eek:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../2043471_1.jpg

Do you have photos, a build log, or video of that little guy running? With an electric conversion it could be Frankengirlyscooter. :D

Good job on the the story getting some recognition, MetroMPG. It's nice to see you are making some lofty friends. :p

- LostCause

Shabamsev 05-12-2008 11:47 PM

Up Date!!! VOLTZILLA

5 Attachment(s)
ok everyone! this is what i have been doing to the "VOLTZILLA"...:rolleyes:
i just bought a house and getting married in 2.5 weeks:confused: so i will not be working on this project for a little bit but its good to go as of right now!!!:turtle:
here are some pics of what i have been doing.... Enjoy!:D

This is the piece i turned down on the lathe. it is being used for the tachometer. it was the cam shaft off the original bike!!! yes the Voltzilla uses the original pieces to see the rpm of the newly installed electric motor!!! cool... eh:cool:

i have been waiting for the speedo and tack to come in. EBAY!!!:thumbup:
the speedo came from Hawaii... Kinda Cool!!!

let me know what you think!!!

Dont just live life, ENJOY it!!!!!!

MetroMPG 05-14-2008 11:09 AM

Hey Russ - nice work on the tach addition.

Any update since you got the brushes seated properly on the commutator? Did speed improve at all? Will you be able to use it to go to work like you thought?

The only other things I'd add are gauges for volts/amps. Don't want to kill your batteries.

Best wishes for the upcoming wedding, too.

Clev 12-02-2008 06:16 PM

Hey Russ.

Just found this. Nice conversion. The article I read said you were needing a 24/12v DC-DC. The EV Warrior bicycle ran on 24V, and it had a nice small DC-DC for running the lights and horn. I bought a complete set off eBay for $25; you might check it out as well.

Tim

Wonderboy 02-14-2009 07:59 PM

I definitely want to get on board with this and build my own EV bike - are there any exact specs on those forklift motors? I know they're 36v, but kW, max RPM, HP, etc.. Those were Raymond forklifts if I'm not mistaken, and Raymond is but 20 miles from where I sit. I know the owners too - fancy that. They might have extra parts lying around, they might not. Where did everyone get their forklift/motors? Even used forklifts are damned expensive, and the ones that don't work probably don't work because the motor doesn't work. Are there forklift clearing houses in WI?

If I talk to the Raymond people, I want to know exactly what motor to ask about because that's the one place I probably wouldn't have to bother looking for a whole forklift just to ditch it for the motor.

Wonderboy 02-24-2009 09:12 PM

bump?

Christ 02-25-2009 12:34 AM

Binghamton... first of all, check craigslists for NY and Scranton, PA. They're the closest to you.

Finding a forklift won't be easy business, but if you're planning on going straight to Raymond to get the parts, you'll need to know if you're doing a motorcycle or car conversion, the weight of the conversion, estimated top speed, etc..

All those things change the type/size of motor you'll need.

Hopefully, one of the more experienced guys will chime in here.

Wonderboy 02-25-2009 08:58 AM

There are plenty of resources to figure out for myself what type/size motor I should get, as I've read through this and a couple other threads on the subject and watched the video on this thread. I just want testimony from one of the folks who have done it and can tell me what kind of motor might get done what I want to get done, which, albeit lofty, is: highway legal (top speed ~55), and 50-60mile range. I'm thinking if I pick up a motor that can do these things, the bigger issue would be finding capable batteries. I'm willing to put quite a bit of money into batteries that can give me the aforementioned speed and range.

Could this be done?
What are the specs on that Raymond forklift motor? serial/model number?

MetroMPG 02-25-2009 06:36 PM

Yes, it can be done. How much money do you have? :)

Since you're willing to spend money (lead acid won't get you 60 miles at highway speeds) and need higher efficiency (again, given your range goals), I'd say you'd be better off looking for a permanant magnet Etek style motor, like Ben Nelson used in his e-motorbike:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rsion-599.html

....rather than a series DC motor.

bennelson 02-26-2009 11:45 AM

The motor doesn't have a whole lot to do with range - that's almost ALL about the batteries (ok - weight too!)

I have been real happy with my Briggs ETEK motor. They don't make them anymore, but there are a couple other similar motors out, like the PERM, and now there is a new ETEK-R and ETEK-RT.

BIG deep cycle batteries can get you pretty decent range, but not likely as high speed. Plenty of small lithiums would be expensive, but save lots of weight, and give you good speed.

Another advantage of a permanent magnet motor is that you CAN do regen braking with it. Of course you do need a controller that supports it. The Kelly's and couple other controllers can do regen. (However, the only person I know with direct experience with Kelly controllers had NOTHING but problems with them.)

I really think that motorcycles make GREAT EVs, but range is an issue, as your really are limited in battery space.

NeilBlanchard 02-26-2009 12:58 PM

Hi,

The images in the first post do not show up for me...