EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Vista SP1 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/vista-sp1-1455.html)

H4MM3R 03-18-2008 04:28 PM

Vista SP1

Microsoft windows Vista SP1 is available for download.

Red 03-18-2008 05:22 PM

Debating on doing it, right now everything works pretty nicely on my laptop with Vista Home Premimum. SP1 could rock the boat

DifferentPointofView 03-18-2008 05:28 PM

I need to, but I'm still on caveman dial up systems (yea I know, but I'm not paying for it, we're cheap :D)

SVOboy 03-18-2008 05:42 PM

My iEgo is tingling.

tasdrouille 03-18-2008 06:28 PM

Where's the linux option?

Gone4 03-18-2008 06:35 PM

I don't own a windows computer or a mac :(
I run only Linux and OpenBSD computers. My Nokia N810 is a Linux too. Oh, and my Treo runs PalmOS...

I actually haven't owned a windows machine for seven years now. I've never had the displeasure of owning a mac.

dremd 03-18-2008 06:59 PM

MAC (mostly) over here I do have a Windows xp machine in a corner, but 99% of the time I use the 17" Mac Book Pro (Love it)

Who 03-18-2008 07:58 PM

Where's the option to wait for SP2?

Silveredwings 03-18-2008 08:10 PM

XP but my next OS will be Linux. Why? MS' mission is to infuriate all their paying customers. I especially hate the fact that windoze explorer regularly and mysteriously phones home (207.46.248.249) all the time. IE does this too but first they rifle through your favorites before sending them to that site (I caught it doing it). Who wouldn't hate that? They claim they're not spyware because you agreed to the EULA which doesn't say anything about it. Yep, Linux, Open Office, etc.

extragoode 03-18-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 14929)
XP but my next OS will be Linux. Why? MS' mission is to infuriate all their paying customers. I especially hate the fact that windoze explorer regularly and mysteriously phones home (207.46.248.249) all the time. IE does this too but first they rifle through your favorites before sending them to that site (I caught it doing it). Who wouldn't hate that? They claim they're not spyware because you agreed to the EULA which doesn't say anything about it. Yep, Linux, Open Office, etc.

Ditto!

trebuchet03 03-18-2008 08:52 PM

I'm on xp....

When my engineering software is no longer compatible with xp... I'll switch to vista, or whatever OS it operates on.

But I'll need a better machine to do so :p

LostCause 03-18-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenKreton (Post 14908)
I don't own a windows computer or a mac :(
I run only Linux and OpenBSD computers. My Nokia N810 is a Linux too. Oh, and my Treo runs PalmOS...

I actually haven't owned a windows machine for seven years now. I've never had the displeasure of owning a mac.

I'd go to linux if the learning curve wasn't so shallow...:o CL interface is a little confusing.

- LostCause

Red 03-18-2008 10:01 PM

Ubuntu is a good starter linux for those who want to get their feet wet.

Peakster 03-18-2008 10:13 PM

Wow, as of this post over 50% that voted are still using XP! It's been over 1 year since Microsoft made Vista available (and preloaded on computers) and still that much resistance?

And I thought I was old school as I'm still using Tiger version of OSX.

DifferentPointofView 03-18-2008 10:28 PM

Actually.... I will never go back to XP. There's 2 main reasons people don't want to get vista

1. Capatability (SP1!!!)
2. Not As user friendly

Basically, #2 is also the reason people don't wanna do linux, or MAC.

"they're sooo confusing!!!!" people say about MACs all the time, truth is, macs crush the PC by a mile.

Vista, is more mac-like. I get sooo much more options to choose from when making and editing movies/music/pictures etc. that XP just seems to suck now. Yea I had to get used to it, but It's mucho better. Still wish I could get a MAC, but I wasn't doing the computer buying, I just made sure I had a Computer that could do everything I needed it to. going from 512MB ram to 3072MB ram and AMD X2 processors really helped out. And THE OPTIONS!

I don't really know why people complain so much about it. It's the same way with EV's and small cars. "It's different, and hard to get used to" bull $#!+ it isn't! it just takes 1, maybe 2 days of using it. Same with MAC, or linux. Americans are just too lazy and comfy to accept a change. that's why they still drive honking SUV's with heated seats, 3 sun roofs, 7 dvd players, and a cappuccino maker. So they don't have to do anything besides lift a finger. If it requires effort, it can't be done.

RH77 03-18-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 14962)
Wow, as of this post over 50% that voted are still using XP! It's been over 1 year since Microsoft made Vista available (and preloaded on computers) and still that much resistance?

And I thought I was old school as I'm still using Tiger version of OSX.

Due to the problems/reputation of Vista, I had either the choice of going with either XP or Vista on a new laptop in December. Yup, went with XP. (this was per the advice of nearly every knowledgeable computer user). Maybe SP1 will sort some issues out :confused:

RH77

dremd 03-19-2008 10:53 AM

I've Upgraded maybe 20 computers to XP from Vista at the request of their owners with no influence from myself what so ever.

That may tell you something . . . .

Peakster 03-19-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dremd (Post 15043)
I've Upgraded maybe 20 computers to XP from Vista at the request of their owners with no influence from myself what so ever.

That may tell you something . . . .

That might very well be a smart financial move by Microsoft. The consumer pays for the computer and Vista operating system, and then they spend another $200 on XP software! Two operating systems sold for one computer!

Gone4 03-19-2008 04:22 PM

I think I will wget Vista SP1 just to use MS's bandwidth and be able to vote in the poll.

wget http://microsfot.com/... > /dev/null

H4MM3R 03-19-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 15061)
That might very well be a smart financial move by Microsoft. The consumer pays for the computer and Vista operating system, and then they spend another $200 on XP software! Two operating systems sold for one computer!

Never looked at it that way. I think you have something here.

mopo3 04-05-2008 11:46 PM

Linux desktop (my personal Frankenstein) <--fav!
XP laptop (only because it came with XP and I can see not using it if I paid for it)
Mac laptop (for my girl friend)

elhigh 04-06-2008 08:59 AM

In my aftermarket security's allowable connections, I blocked Windows explorer and just about everything else - including LiveUpdate - from ever phoning home. I don't have anything I'm ashamed of, but it wigs me out to hear the computer suddenly fire up in the middle of the night and start grinding its hard drive's heart out over the lines. Nothing is allowed to just up and call out, ever.

Blessed silence.