EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Volkswagen’s New 300 MPG Car Not Allowed In America Because It Is Too Efficient (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/volkswagen-s-new-300-mpg-car-not-allowed-29089.html)

D_Pelmear 05-28-2014 07:40 PM

Volkswagen’s New 300 MPG Car Not Allowed In America Because It Is Too Efficient

Volkswagen’s New 300 MPG Car Not Allowed In America.

You won’t find the 300 MPG Volkswagen XL1 in an American showroom, in fact it has even been denied a tour of America because it is too efficient for the American public to be made widely aware of, and oil profits are too high in America with the status quo in place. No tour has been allowed for this car because the myth that 50 mpg is virtually impossible to obtain from even a stripped down econobox is too profitable to let go of, and when it comes to corporate oil profits, ignorance is bliss.

Read more at

Volkswagen?s New 300 MPG Car Not Allowed In America Because It Is Too Efficient | Spirit Science

sheepdog 44 05-28-2014 07:57 PM

I would delete this thread. I've seen this article too many times, and the author of that article seems to have written it just to troll people and get views on his website. Nothing of use to discuss here.

Vman455 05-28-2014 08:01 PM

Oh great, this again! [sarcasm alert]

I'm too lazy to find the thread, but this has been discussed before: the XL1 is not sold in the US for a number of reasons, none of them being that it is "too efficient."

Burton 05-28-2014 08:01 PM

Fake. Moving on.
snopes.com: Is Volkswagen's 300 MPG Car Banned in the U.S.?

backpacker3 05-28-2014 08:56 PM

I'm pretty sure there are a few coming here and or that are already here.

mcrews 05-28-2014 09:56 PM

Probably 3 threads about this....try the search function... Then delete

pgfpro 05-29-2014 12:41 AM

Delete thread please!!!

California98Civic 05-29-2014 02:52 AM

Delete.

But before it gets deleted, here is an XL1 on the streets of Manhattan:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...7sntarxxoz.jpg

Frank Lee 05-29-2014 02:58 AM

Dougie must have forgotten from last time that we didn't all just fall off the turnip truck.

backpacker3 05-29-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 426927)
Delete.

But before it gets deleted, here is an XL1 on the streets of Manhattan:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...7sntarxxoz.jpg

:eek: OH NO! THEY SNUCK ONE IN! :eek:

Delete this thread quick before the NSA finds out!!! Lol :D

NeilBlanchard 05-29-2014 07:11 PM

Crash testing a car that will have a production run of ~250 would not be feasible. And it has side video mirrors - which hopefully will be allowed, soon - but VW is not going to fight it over the XL1.

I suggest moving it to the Unicorn Corral.

Thenorm 05-30-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 426928)
Dougie must have forgotten from last time that we didn't all just fall off the turnip truck.

and here is a turnip truck
http://www.disdblog.com/wp-content/u...nip-truck3.png

Frank Lee 05-30-2014 04:38 PM

Yup! And I didn't fall off it! :thumbup:

Vman455 05-30-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 427076)
Crash testing a car that will have a production run of ~250 would not be feasible. And it has side video mirrors - which hopefully will be allowed, soon - but VW is not going to fight it over the XL1.

I suggest moving it to the Unicorn Corral.

VW claims on their website that the XL1 "fulfills all safety requirements," so it must have been crash-tested at some point. The problem is, the US requires different crash tests, which would not be feasible for a car with such a limited production run and no plans to market in the US. Planet Money had a podcast recently on this issue, in which they interviewed a Cadillac executive who complained about the dichotomy in regulations between the US and Europe. It was quite interesting.

NeilBlanchard 05-31-2014 10:09 AM

It might well meet the crash requirements - but they would have to provide cars for official testing.

bhtooefr 06-08-2014 09:04 AM

Now, one way around the crash testing requirements would be to launch the cars under an unrelated company that produces under 10,000 cars a year, and then apply for a hardship exemption with the NHTSA.

Another way would be to have assembly be a dealer-installed option, but with VW dealers, that thought absolutely horrifies me.

gone-ot 06-08-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhtooefr (Post 428602)
Now, one way around the crash testing requirements would be to launch the cars under an unrelated company that produces under 10,000 cars a year, and then apply for a hardship exemption with the NHTSA.

Another way would be to have assembly be a dealer-installed option, but with VW dealers, that thought absolutely horrifies me.

Yeah, I can just imagine illiterate AMERICAN VW monkey wrenchers attempting to read & comprehend GERMAN instructions (wink,wink)!

UltArc 06-08-2014 01:10 PM

*sigh*

We Drove The 261 MPG Volkswagen XL1 In Manhattan Because You Can't

gone-ot 06-08-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 428632)
*sigh*

...sorta like watching Bridget Bardot or Sophia Loren stroll by in a swim suit back in their hey-day, ain't it?

Fat Charlie 06-09-2014 09:14 AM

Yep, it's all about corporate profits. Not Hexxagon's, Volkswagen's. They gain more from just having this car in their lineup than they'll ever make actually selling it. Hardly a conspiracy.

niky 06-09-2014 10:42 AM

I've always viewed projects like this as huge corporate vanity projects. Like the Veyron, or the Phaeton. Build the car because we can build it... not because it makes sense, or because we want to sell it, or because we can use it as a research platform... we build it just to show the world that the Volkswagen Group is so rich, successful and powerful, it can basically burn money for the hell of it.

California98Civic 06-09-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 428740)
I've always viewed projects like this as huge corporate vanity projects. Like the Veyron, or the Phaeton. Build the car because we can build it... not because it makes sense, or because we want to sell it, or because we can use it as a research platform... we build it just to show the world that the Volkswagen Group is so rich, successful and powerful, it can basically burn money for the hell of it.

I just look at it as research with a PR focus, like racing. It's one thing to know you have the resources and knowledge to build such a car and another to actually do it so that the public, the critics, and investors can see it and react to it. Those reactions from the press, potential buyers, investors, and even within the company itself are probably quite useful to the company. And it is PR, like claiming they have the "best safety ratings" or some other "best in class" claim. They can advert with it. Makes them look "green" and "advanced". But I would imagine they developed some useful knowledge, and maybe specific parts they can deploy in more common vehicles.

NeilBlanchard 06-09-2014 12:21 PM

I agree that the VW XL1 is a halo car, and it will have trickle down benefits. We've already heard about a transplant of the XL1 drivetrain into the Up!.

UltArc 06-09-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 428740)

I thanked just because you brought up the Phaeton. Although, I interpreted that as a legitimate attempt at a 7 series equivalent- something they wanted to keep on the market actually take some market share. I loved it, but there are some negatives to it.

On topic, everyone seems right on. When that new Up! is out, and they start showing commercials with the two of them- it will put that image in peoples head about how efficient it is. I would have first guessed it was an exercise in their future technology, but making a car like this doesn't really help bring down the costs of it in the future. Normally it seems like that is the general plan.