Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
70mph, the new 55mph...

I was driving down to Panama City (Spring Break) today going the speed limit, and over a little when it was necessary. I am with my mom in her new CX-7 and we are just chatting about stuff when a dang Prius comes FLYING up behind me, I chuckle and move out of his way. He passed me at about 80mph and I went on talking to my mom. A few minutes later a Ford SportTrac come up waaaay faster than the Prius except this time, I can't move over and he shows 0 signs of stopping. I downshift to 4th and punched it, 90mph and this guy is still on me. I'm watching him swerve around me in my rear view mirror. I just get in front of this line of cars and he blows me off the road, still swerving. I say to my mom, "That guy is either drunk or stupid, he's going to have a wreck." I slow back down to 70 just in time for another Prius to pass me just like the first one, and I laughed...again. Saying to my mom, "These people are going to have a wreck."

10 minutes of driving later, the first (silver) Prius is spun out in the median, the Sporttrack slid sideways and took out an exit sign, and the second (blue) Prius is backwards in the ditch on the right with slidemarks leading to it. I can't tell if the Priuses (what is plural Prius?) have any body damage but the SportTrac did.

My mom and I looked at each other and said...hmmm... I guess driving slower IS better.

Oh, we got 19.4 for that tank of 80% highway...don't buy a CX-7 for mpgs...

Last edited by MadisonMPG; 03-14-2010 at 12:16 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Once on a trip to Florida I saw the same red Ford Thunderbird get 4 speeding tickets in Gerogia. He would pass us like we were sitting still and a few miles up the road a trooper has him pulled over.

regards
Mech
Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Priora, Prii, or Prius, take your pick.

They get better mileage at 75mph than the CX7 at 45mph, and I've always been able to keep the tires on the road at those speeds. Was there an ice storm in Panama, or just lots of drinking and youthful indiscretion at spring break?
Old 03-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
They get better mileage at 75mph than the CX7 at 45mph, and I've always been able to keep the tires on the road at those speeds. Was there an ice storm in Panama, or just lots of drinking and youthful indiscretion at spring break?
Not when they are turned around in a ditch.

It was people rushing down to the beach, I got passed all day long no matter my speed.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I was driving north near Jacksonville in a 77 280Z and could not catch a Peterbilt at 95 MPH.

33 years ago.

regards
Mech
Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I was driving north near Jacksonville in a 77 280Z and could not catch a Peterbilt at 95 MPH.

33 years ago.

regards
Mech
That happened to me in a 90hp subaru, 2006. I was quite enthused at 85 with no thumps and madness of feeling like it was falling apart..and simply stayed there for some miles.

Beyond imagination two round dim headlights the height of my rear view was catching up ever so slowly....

I felt the wind plowing off the front end of this old cowled pete, never figured out who it was. an old pete like that in maine is sure to be remembered...as my dad drives rigs, over 30 years now.. maybe it was one of his "friends". never know...

I just posted up about taking clogged cats off of a 500hp version. the turbo is gargantuate. "Dixmont hill only needs to drop one gear." (just got off the phone with dad)...
not exactly seeking 100mph top ends here, the midget best get out of trucking.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
I try not to travel a lot, but I went to Michigan to get some Metro parts nd the posted speed limit was 55 MPH on certain parts of the interstate. We were going 60 and getting passed by everyone at 90 MPH or more. It was quite scary.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius's speeding on the Freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
I was driving down to Panama City (Spring Break) today going the speed limit, and over a little when it was necessary. I am with my mom in her new CX-7 and we are just chatting about stuff when a dang Prius comes FLYING up behind me, I chuckle and move out of his way. He passed me at about 80mph and I went on talking to my mom. A few minutes later a Ford SportTrac come up waaaay faster than the Prius except this time, I can't move over and he shows 0 signs of stopping. I downshift to 4th and punched it, 90mph and this guy is still on me. I'm watching him swerve around me in my rear view mirror. I just get in front of this line of cars and he blows me off the road, still swerving. I say to my mom, "That guy is either drunk or stupid, he's going to have a wreck." I slow back down to 70 just in time for another Prius to pass me just like the first one, and I laughed...again. Saying to my mom, "These people are going to have a wreck."

10 minutes of driving later, the first (silver) Prius is spun out in the median, the Sporttrack slid sideways and took out an exit sign, and the second (blue) Prius is backwards in the ditch on the right with slidemarks leading to it. I can't tell if the Priuses (what is plural Prius?) have any body damage but the SportTrac did.

My mom and I looked at each other and said...hmmm... I guess driving slower IS better.

Oh, we got 19.4 for that tank of 80% highway...don't buy a CX-7 for mpgs...
Just what is it with the Prius owners out there? I live here in the Metro Detroit area, and have seen on many occasions drivers of these hybrid's traveling in excess of 80 mph. I thought that the whole idea behind owning one of these cars is to save fuel? I drive a clean 1985 Volkswagen Cabriolet Convert. I drive on the expressway at around 65-68 mph to get my best mileage. I have been passed by countless of these new Toyota's tearing up the road like there on the way to the Hospital. I don't get it? VW Bruce.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Baron - '89 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 42.4 mpg (US)

The Pod - '08 Chevy Aveo 5
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)
And then I've heard the Prius owners complaining about how "it just doesn't get the mileage I thought it would"....I just chuckle.

www.letstalkbeatles.com
Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...pretty soon, the motoring public will be screaming that the "...speed of light..." isn't fair and be screaming that it be included in the EPA RATINGS for each car (wink,wink)!

Last edited by gone-ot; 03-17-2010 at 10:06 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread