EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Vtec-E coming soon (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/vtec-e-coming-soon-2397.html)

reformed 05-17-2008 07:20 PM

Vtec-E coming soon

I got my pics of my engine in the other day. Its not as pretty as SVOboys but what are you gonna do, it will still get the job done. This is a D15B Vtec E with a CX trans... 50+ here I come!
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...d/IMG_2626.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...d/IMG_2625.jpg

NoCO2 05-17-2008 07:23 PM

for those of us less informed....what is VTEC-E?

SVOboy 05-17-2008 07:24 PM

Haha, mine is indeed prettier, :)

reformed 05-17-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCO2 (Post 26615)
for those of us less informed....what is VTEC-E?

Vtec e is the Japanese equivalent of the d15z1 engine that is found in the Civic VX models which got a combined EPA of roughly 45MPG (with the new EPA standards). It is built strictly for fuel economy and has "lean burn" which, from my searches, cuts down on roughly 25% of fuel consumption during a lean burn cruise.

Compaq888 05-17-2008 11:25 PM

the pics are great and everything but your car gets 38mpg, this engine doesn't gurantee 50mpg. In fact it's not plug and play.

I think it's too much of a hassle to get 50mpg when you can slow down and do some weight reduction.

I can get 48-50mpg driving 60mph. In fact i went from LA to san diego and back and averaged 49.1mpg

I have a 99 civic dx manual. I haven't done any weight reduction, i just drive 60..

reformed 05-18-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 26665)
the pics are great and everything but your car gets 38mpg, this engine doesn't gurantee 50mpg. In fact it's not plug and play.

I think it's too much of a hassle to get 50mpg when you can slow down and do some weight reduction.

I can get 48-50mpg driving 60mph. In fact i went from LA to san diego and back and averaged 49.1mpg

I have a 99 civic dx manual. I haven't done any weight reduction, i just drive 60..

Its pretty close to plug and play in a 92, it is already pre-wired for vtec(the only year). I only have to add wiring for the LAF and a couple of other small things. I have pretty much leveled off at around 42MPG and this is just one more of many mods to come for this car. When I first got it, the first tank I got was 33MPG and through minor mods and driving technique(I already do no faster than 55MPH, EOC whenever possible, and have removed any excess weight), I've added 10MPG, so I'm quite confident that this will net me 50+. Also my driving is mostly my drive to work, which is mostly city, 16 miles of it. On the highway I can get 50 in this car currently, but I'm talking about 50+ avg. tank after tank with a good portion of it city driving.

SVOboy 05-18-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 26665)

But it is worth it, :p

Compaq888 05-18-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reformed (Post 26712)
Its pretty close to plug and play in a 92, it is already pre-wired for vtec(the only year). I only have to add wiring for the LAF and a couple of other small things. I have pretty much leveled off at around 42MPG and this is just one more of many mods to come for this car. When I first got it, the first tank I got was 33MPG and through minor mods and driving technique(I already do no faster than 55MPH, EOC whenever possible, and have removed any excess weight), I've added 10MPG, so I'm quite confident that this will net me 50+. Also my driving is mostly my drive to work, which is mostly city, 16 miles of it. On the highway I can get 50 in this car currently, but I'm talking about 50+ avg. tank after tank with a good portion of it city driving.

so you are pretty maxxed out in your current position. I guess it's worth it then if it's pretty close to plug and play...how much will this swap cost you in total?..not just the engine

reformed 05-18-2008 06:21 PM

All parts included so far, I have $540 invested (including the engine, trans, and computer, all shipping included). I won't need much more than that other than the clutch, I've done many engine swaps on these cars in the past and there isn't much involved, so not much to break in the process (except the pin that holds the shift linkage in, what a nightmare that job is). Plus I can sell my current engine and trans to offset the cost. I might be able to get $200 for them both so end result will be hopefully around $450 invested (including new clutch).. with these gas prices it wont take me long to recoup the money spent and start reaping the benefits. I'm also rather confident that with that engine set-up and my planned aero, wheel/tire, and instrumentation mods, I can get 60+MPG in the hotter months, we'll see.

SVOboy 05-18-2008 06:54 PM

Just get a screwdriver of the appropriate size, and it'll be fine. I messed with my first one forever and then used a screwdriver and pow, one hit. Also, try to attach it before mounting up the engine, mounting it up first and then connecting it was what gave me real trouble, ended up mushrooming it, getting it stuck, holding it in with a bolt and nut, then having it fall apart on the road once. :)