EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   VW's 'Electrify America' (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/vws-electrify-america-37396.html)

aerohead 04-03-2019 11:58 AM

VW's 'Electrify America'

The December,2018 MOTORTREND Magazine,page 24,NEWS/OPINION/GOSSIP/STUFF, 'Your Say',mentioned that:
Volkswagen's Electrify America subsidiary,as part of it's Diesel-Gate scandal penance,is rolling out almost 1,000 universal charging stations across America,paid for by Volkswagen.
The chargers are rated at 350kW,good for 20-miles range/minute,providing near gasoline-levels of recharge speed.:)

redpoint5 04-03-2019 12:06 PM

I hope to never need to use one, though I'll probably plan 1 extended EV trip just for the adventure... now to purchase that EV.

oil pan 4 04-03-2019 12:12 PM

It will probably cost more than gasoline to use that charger on a road trip.
I still plan on using gasoline to go on longer trips for the foreseeable future.

redpoint5 04-03-2019 01:37 PM

My Prius is fantastic at long distance trips.

I'm not willing to subject my occupants to lengthy charging stops at undesirable and inconveniently located spots for 45 minutes every 90 minutes of driving. I'll do my DCFC trip solo so it's just my time I'm wasting.

aerohead 04-03-2019 01:54 PM

cost

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 595227)
It will probably cost more than gasoline to use that charger on a road trip.
I still plan on using gasoline to go on longer trips for the foreseeable future.

That could very well be.Not too long ago,either CAR and DRIVER,or ROAD and TRACK did an article about EV charging,and the price per kWh was all over the map.Literally!
I have spoken to some Tesla owners,and some packages include,free,lifetime of ownership charging at their Supercharger network,each 134-miles,across the country.
No telling what Electrify America will be like.

oil pan 4 04-03-2019 02:09 PM

That must be nice.
The nearest chademo besides the one I own is well beyond the range of my leaf.

JSH 04-03-2019 02:31 PM

Electrify America charges $1 initial fee and then $0.30 - $0.35 per minute while charging. After the charge is complete they start charging $0.40 per minute.

The best thing about their network is that they just use regular credit card payment instead of a stupid app. (I have money on 3 different charging apps)

oil pan 4 04-03-2019 02:34 PM

I'm good with my own charging network that I have built so far.

JSH 04-03-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 595247)
I have spoken to some Tesla owners,and some packages include,free,lifetime of ownership charging at their Supercharger network,each 134-miles,across the country .

Looking at the Supercharger map tells a different story. Yes you can cross the country using the network - if you are happy to only travel roads that Tesla has installed chargers. If you want to get off the beaten path you are out of luck.

In Oregon you can travel I-5, I-85, and 101. The other 2/3rds of the state is off limits. I know a couple that both own a Model X and they choose their travel based on access to chargers.

Piotrsko 04-03-2019 03:51 PM

For rapid charging travel that is correct. You CAN charge a tesla on 110, it just takes many many hours. And if there are 3 wires comming in, you CAN rig a 220 adapter.