Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #41 (permalink)
Outside the Box

Mileages...

Wow... all I wanted to know is what could be done to help larger vehicles...in particular a 1 ton 4x4 dually I recently bought to replace the 272,000 mile 3/4 ton for towing and heavy hauling needs as well as Primary. The 1 ton has all the whistles and bells Chrysler had expect the wood grain dash. It sold new for $39,965 in 01 and also had close to 6k of Polished cast Alum wheels, full length running boards, gooseneck and 5th wheel hitches, and a fairly stout front guard (it lived through hitting the horse!). I paid 16k cash. It was literally showroom mint with 105K... just broke in as far as the Cummins is concerned. If I can get 250k plus out of any decent v8... the Cummins is at least good for a half million for me... and part of why I bought it. Alas... It will never happen... and yes it irritates the crap out of me!.

Mileages;

Work 115 to 120 RT four days a week... due east of here.
Wife's Drs... at least 3 or 4 times a month... 150 RT if in Cincinnati (due west of us... so if I go with her its both mileages..., Close to 180 RT if in Columbus.
Our little town for the normal stuff from the feed mil, hardware etc... 35 miles RT... No such thing here as down to the corner for a loaf of bread. Tractor and other farm stuff places 50 to 200 ile RT for Parts depending...
Pack of cigs after 7 pm 30 miles... (yep is been done... )

just and indicator of country and to me its still crowded here compared to where Id rather be in Montana, Idaho, or Washington... but work and our mortgage is here.

The point is this... from some of your replies... some, at least, do not know what typical mileage is for people out here. Between my commutes, shopping and my wife's Drs... none of which align... together we average somewhere around 800 to 1000 miles a week right now. it will never be less. I get 13.5 on a good day, her 94 Concord V6 gets 22-24 mpg (I think, never measured it)... so do the math. Sometime back with both hers and my commutes at 180 and 110 respectively, we put some 60k or more on a year on our two primaries together. This is also why I had elected to get 250k lifetime drivelines or we'd be buying all the time and loose even more money. Yes we still have the Bronco as her backup, and I have the one ton or the horizon as backup... or the motorcycle (which really doesn't count in OH).

Also for special things.. I used to think nothing of running 800 miles in a day to go pick something up 400 miles away and bring it home... One of you though 75 miles was a long ways. I guess I'm just a different kind of animal with different experiences... In the days OTR... a 1000 miles a day was routine... MNSP, Mn to LA Ca 2000 miles in 56 hours routinely. LA to SF to load and the 2000 miles back to MNSP. 5000 mile RT 4.5 days. Average 70 mph... avg mpg 5.5 (best of the fleet BTW, in 1986). Solo...will not run team! So why was it again that I'd care about a measly 60 mile trip to work????... The one ton IS A LITTLE truck! Its all relative.

I just thought maybe the technologies had improved some and the E-tinkerers may have figured out something to help... evidently not... regardless of what the green people say... kinda tough to improve on good old gasoline or fuel oil to do real work... Now when we get a battery powered system that can haul 20k with ease... cruise at 70 for not less that a 1000 miles non stop basically, fill or recharge in a few minutes (two 30 gal fuel tanks can)... then maybe we'll actually have something. By the way, that was figured out in 1915 or so. Until then we will all play around with our tonka toys and our electric train equivalents. Nope the eco and alt E industry has not impressed me yet (although I like the hydro reserve setup). Until they get real range and consistent real hyway cruises it will never work for almost all of us out here and be comfortable.

Will I get something more economical... probably... but they just went up three prices... I likely suffer through driving the Horizon for a bit... while I save up some cash. The 94's not worth anything... and my estate will have to give way the one ton down the road... as it will never be for sale... In twenty years I can haul it to the shows as mint dinosaur.

I don't know... maybe its time to get serious on a "David Rod" as my wife would call it... Just not use a V8... Hummm can one do that???? I don't know, sounds like heresy to my wife and I. I might get shot by the true hot-rodders. I will say this... If GM and Chrysler can do variable displacement... so can I... and incorporate, some type of regen, and alt-e to boot.... Its the average of the miles rolled that counts. I need 500 ft-lbs on demand when wanted, just to feel right, as well as 50 mpg average per gallon gas... but the home plug in electric for hyway use will get screwed up too.... can't let a tax dollar get away now... Its ENERGY.. so someone other than the average person will always be controlled by the controllers of it.... Been that way since NOAH... well maybe his sons anyway. I HATE Being CONTROLLED... by ANYTHING! And especially BIG MONEY, its all part of it.

Hey... its now been 24 hours with out a single cigarette... cold turkey after 35 years at 1 and a half packs a day.... want one REAL bad... and its only day 1. Patches, gum, pills, just prolong the agony I think... so I'm relying on my stubbornness... I'm told by some its at a reasonably high level in me (smile).

later... Dave

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #42 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
60,000 miles @ 13 mpg = 4615 gallons. At $4/gallon, that's $18,461/year you're pissing down the toilet (or donating to OPEC) because of your stubbornness. I'm looking at your refusal to compromise in wide-eyed astonishment. You think you're living free and in control of your life. In reality, you're a slave - working something like 1/3 of your life for Exxon, without a vacation in 20 years. So tell me again how you're winning.

Me, I bicycled 13 miles/day in Summer, and rode the bus in Winter, for 6 years - in a real wilderness, Alaska. I rode motorcycles and carpooled 65 miles/day, for 5 years - in Colorado. Motorcycle and bus for 4 years in Utah. Prettier than Ohio, I've been there. Been to all the continents and oceans except Antarctica and the Great Southern Ocean. Probably cost me less than $18,461 to do it, and I bet I spent less on gas in those 15 years in God's Country than you spent last year. And my views were better than anything you'll see from the cab of a truck in Ohio.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (03-08-2012), jamesqf (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #43 (permalink)
Outside the Box

re do the math bud

did I say 60000 now?, NO... Right now its about 800 miles a week for both of us combined. It was a $1.25 then, was it all at 13 mpg, NO... 4 years ago we got the Concord that get 23 or 24 mpg so so. When it went crazy last time just before this she ran the Horizon that gets 35+ and had to park the Bronco which has been parked more or less ever since. For a bit we parked both... then it settled back down a little when they were finally happy and with the 3/4 getting old and being out west I bought the one ton for its replacement.. So get your math right!

But unless I spend money to buy something else.... it more money down the drain.... Melanie's back absolutely can not not ride the harshness of either truck...so I leave the Concord for her. I do not know if the Horizon is really running ok or not...been sitting for 4 years now and the mice moved in... it may be history.

So unless you have something important to say...I don't have any time for you unless its a 200 mile range electric I can plug into our coal fired E-plant... thats offset on peak demand from our local nuke fired.... I believe in both of them, bet you don't. You will NEVER understand... I stopped riding a bus in 10th grade, because I drove my own car to school... it was sort of a right of passage where I grew up. There will never be mass transit in the country... and we can',t live with the restrictions of the city... Basically wereally do not not care all that much for humanity....
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
So when all the soapboxing is done here, how about doing something to improve your truck?
I suggested an aeroshell on the back. These are known performers. The only drawback is you lose the center rear view mirror in a simple build. Can you handle that?

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem45133 View Post
Wow... all I wanted to know is what could be done to help larger vehicles...
Yeah, and quite a few of us gave you a realistic answer: pretty much nothing. The only thing that would help more than marginally is an aeroshell, and if you're going to insist on sitting up high and having a lot of frontal area, even that's going to be limited.

Quote:
...in particular a 1 ton 4x4 dually I recently bought to replace the 272,000 mile 3/4 ton for towing and heavy hauling needs as well as Primary. The 1 ton has all the whistles and bells Chrysler had expect the wood grain dash. It sold new for $39,965 in 01 and also had close to 6k of Polished cast Alum wheels, full length running boards...
Well, you could pull off those idiotic running boards. They're nothing but parasitic weight and drag.

Also (and understand that I'm trying to be as polite as possible here) if you (or the original purchaser) were willing to fork over $6K for a set of wheels, you need to re-examine your priorities.

Quote:
No such thing here as down to the corner for a loaf of bread.
Stock up on flour & yeast, and make your own (I do).

Quote:
The point is this... from some of your replies... some, at least, do not know what typical mileage is for people out here.
I'd suggest pulling up Google maps and doing a side-by-side comparison of Ohio and northern Nevada/northeastern California, where I live. Then do some elevation comparisons: bet you don't have any climbs over 8000 ft plus mountain passes in your neighborhood.

Quote:
In the days OTR... a 1000 miles a day was routine...So why was it again that I'd care about a measly 60 mile trip to work????
Yeah, I've done similar, where I might set out from LA to do jobs in Flagstaff, Durango, and Las Vegas in a week. But I did it because I got paid for it, not because I liked it, and having done it is a big part of the reason I don't like driving much now.

Quote:
...regardless of what the green people say... kinda tough to improve on good old gasoline or fuel oil to do real work...
But it seems like you're not doing real work most of the time, you're just hauling your body (or your wife's body) from point A to point B, and back again. For some strange reason, you believe you need to haul along a couple of tons of metal on every trip, and that doesn't come for free. Sorry, but that's just the way the world works.

Quote:
I HATE Being CONTROLLED... by ANYTHING! And especially BIG MONEY, its all part of it.
But you are being controlled. In fact, you've become so used to wearing your chains, you've gotten to where you think they're a part of you, and resist any attempt to remove them. You're like the horse that runs back into the burning stable...
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins

Quote:
Also (and understand that I'm trying to be as polite as possible here) if you (or the original purchaser) were willing to fork over $6K for a set of wheels, you need to re-examine your priorities.
If you read properly, he purchased a used truck for 16K with all those things on it.
I suppose you feel better if you drive this guy off the board, but you are not driving him off the road. This forum does not need or want to alienate anybody, and I welcome any correction from ANYBODY regarding this.
Maybe he is just a troll but there is no need for you to respond in kind.

2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #47 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Skyking: I'm of the opinion that we should be willing to help people within the constraints of their current circumstances if the person comes here genuinely seeking assistance.

I also happen to hold the (unproven) idea that pickup truck mods might be a "gateway drug" that could eventually lead a person to more deeply consider their options (beyond driving a giant truck for the sole purpose of moving their lonely butt around). Doing mods & driving for economy can be an enjoyable slippery slope towards ever more efficiency, as many here will attest.

The original poster claims a scientific background, but so far I honestly can't tell what his aims are. (Is this forum just a platform to talk, or a place to work out real options?) So far he hasn't acknowledged / replied to several real ideas that may actually help him reduce fuel use: aero mods & gearing.

Instead I'm hearing lots of accounts about how deep the metaphorical snow is.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
WE have a 2012 Kia Sorento that is averaging about 27 in the winter and should get close to 30 in the summer. I managed 30 (indicated last night going to my brothers birthday party at the parents house) on a 42 mile round trip.

Our other car is a 2011 Ford Fiesta that I will pick up for $10k with 3771 miles on it. It's a small car that gets EPA 38 highway. With my driving technique, I am hoping to see over 40 average, and if gas gets high enough the wife can drive the Fiesta and I can ride my 77+ MPG bike.

Then I have 3 motorcycles, a 2011 Honda CBR 250R, a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, and a 1971 Honda CB350. The 2011 CBR is good for close to 80 MPG, the Vulcan close to 60 MPG. Not sure about the CB350, probably 50-55 on that 40 year old bike.

The family average is probably 40-45 MPG. It could get much higher if gas prices spike this summer, even as high as 60 MPG average. That's 2000 miles on about 35 gallons of gas. I am older than you and my wife is older than your wife. We don't owe anyone a dime, and all credit card bills are paid in full when due.

regards
mech
Old 03-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I suppose you feel better if you drive this guy off the board, but you are not driving him off the road.
I hope I'm not driving him off the boards, but neither does it do anyone (except purveyors of merchandise discussed in the Unicorn Corral) any good to pretend that he can see significant mpg (or total driving cost) improvements within the constraints he's imposed.

If I (and others) seem somewhat hard on those constraints, it's because we live in similar circumstances, and know that they're imposed from within, not without.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Skyking: I'm of the opinion that we should be willing to help people within the constraints of their current circumstances if the person comes here genuinely seeking assistance.

I also happen to hold the (unproven) idea that pickup truck mods might be a "gateway drug" that could eventually lead a person to more deeply consider their options (beyond driving a giant truck for the sole purpose of moving their lonely butt around). Doing mods & driving for economy can be an enjoyable slippery slope towards ever more efficiency, as many here will attest.

The original poster claims a scientific background, but so far I honestly can't tell what his aims are. (Is this forum just a platform to talk, or a place to work out real options?) So far he hasn't acknowledged / replied to several real ideas that may actually help him reduce fuel use: aero mods & gearing.

Instead I'm hearing lots of accounts about how deep the metaphorical snow is.
I don't disagree with that. If he is just trolling then ignore him. (very)Thinly veiled insults don't move the discussion forward one bit.

2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

Reply  Post New Thread