EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Want to Hypermile Please Help (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/want-hypermile-please-help-3070.html)

jwcordry 06-14-2008 06:11 PM

Want to Hypermile Please Help

I drive a 2006 toyota highlander and need to get better gas mileage. I currently only get 20mpg and i dont have a led foot. Its an automatic by the way.

The first thing I did was check my tires and made sure they were full.

Any other suggestions. I turn my car off at stoplights now as well.

Blue07CivicEX 06-14-2008 08:05 PM

There are the 100+ tips to better fuel mileage on the homepage but some of the most useful ones that might help you are using pulse and glide on highways (or shifting into N when cruising around a city). Keeping speeds down, use the engine drag to slow you down when getting off ramps, approaching stops, time the lights so you're not bringing that (rather large) vehicle to a complete stop as it will take a lot of fuel to get it moving again. Those might help a bit but there are a lot more on the other list.

whokilledthejams 06-14-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue07CivicEX (Post 34852)
There are the 100+ tips to better fuel mileage on the homepage but some of the most useful ones that might help you are using pulse and glide on highways (or shifting into N when cruising around a city). Keeping speeds down, use the engine drag to slow you down when getting off ramps, approaching stops, time the lights so you're not bringing that (rather large) vehicle to a complete stop as it will take a lot of fuel to get it moving again. Those might help a bit but there are a lot more on the other list.

x2

In short, making a conscious effort to conserve momentum will make you an efficient driver.

Drive like you don't have brakes or drive like you're riding a bike. Either interpretation will accomplish the same thing while wasting less fuel.

Admittedly, I still need to hone my hypermiling skills.

jwcordry 06-14-2008 09:03 PM

I read somewhere that its a bad idea to put the car into neutral from drive. Something about it putting more strain on the transmission. Is that true?

whokilledthejams 06-14-2008 09:07 PM

It depends. Generally, if your owner's manual says the car is safe to be flat-towed/dinghy towed, you're ok.

As always, I'm happy to be corrected, as this is just my understanding. I've never owned an automatic car myself.

kmactavi 06-19-2008 03:02 PM

The dinghy towing stipulation is for NICE-Off (Engine Off) coasting. With an automatic you can shift from drive to neutral no problem. Shifting from neutral to drive should be done by rev matching - blipping the throttle so your RPMs are approximately what they would be if you were in drive, then shifting to drive.

Notes:
  • If there is a big clunk or jerk, don't use that method anymore. (Some older transmissions pick the wrong gear to re-engage in)
  • N to D will cause wear on your transmission, however it is generally considered to be minimal, and worth the tiny bit of wear.
  • Don't push in the shift lock, you should be able to shift between N and D without pushing it, this will keep you from shifting into Park or Reverse by accident.

Kirk

elhigh 06-19-2008 03:05 PM

I shifted from N to R in a 1984 Toyota Tercel once, completely by accident, at 45 mph. The car nearly stood on its nose; I yanked it back into N and continued driving. The car took it with no evident damage. It might have been the budget leader, but those little Tercels were tough back in the day.

elhigh 06-19-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwcordry (Post 34831)
I drive a 2006 toyota highlander and need to get better gas mileage. I currently only get 20mpg and i dont have a led foot. Its an automatic by the way.

The first thing I did was check my tires and made sure they were full.

Any other suggestions. I turn my car off at stoplights now as well.

Since you're in an automatic, that limits your options a tad.

Pull the roofrack off. You'll probably never miss it.

When it comes time for new tires, look for the appropriate size replacement that has the lowest rolling resistance. Keep it aired up all the way.

Drive like the tranny was made of glass and the brakes were made of platinum. Shift into neutral at every opportunity and coast down hills. Drive far ahead of yourself, watch distant traffic and observe what it's doing; change what you're doing now so you don't have to come to a complete stop then. Practice "anti-traffic" in stop-and-go situations.

No A/C, or at least minimize its use by turning it off for long uphills. Turn it off when accelerating away from stops, too.

Carpool. Bike. Walk. Is this trip really necessary? Tack your errands onto friends' and neighbors' trips, then return the favor.