EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   Wanted (1st gen VW turbo diesel) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/wanted-1st-gen-vw-turbo-diesel-1057.html)

3lr 02-16-2008 12:31 AM

Wanted (1st gen VW turbo diesel)

Looking for a first generation VW (pre combustion chambered) turbo diesel car, jetta, golf rabbit...
thank you also for any leads!

Ryland 02-16-2008 10:46 AM

I have a 1982 VW Rabbit Diesel non turbo that is for sale, it needs a front wheel bearing ($100) and brakes all around ($150), but has a solid body, and good engine, it could have a turbo added, altho it would need a different injector pump with a turbo, was bought new by my grandparents and was taken in for service by the dealer any time the mpg droped below 50mpg.
VW didn't start useing turbos untill 1984, and I don't think it was standard untill I think the early 1990's.

3lr 02-16-2008 10:57 AM

ty, the turbo block is different. it has oil squirters for instance to cool bottoms of pistons in order to prevent a meltdown...

how much are you looking for$$?

metroschultz 02-16-2008 11:03 AM

I wish you din't live so far away.
I'd love to have another Old Rabbit.
Diesel's a plus.
How do you get to Wisconsin anyway.
?Set my compass on 310deg and just keep walking?
S.

Ryland 02-16-2008 02:07 PM

Because it does not have brakes (pads were barrowed for another rabbit???) it would have to be moved on a trailer, luckly brakes are easy and cheap.
I had it listed on craigslist last summer for $1,000 figuring that a good injector pump, good engine, and good body with a compleat history from new was worth that, but I'm open to offers

roflwaffle 02-19-2008 03:50 PM

Any piks?

NoCO2 02-19-2008 06:30 PM

Ryland: Do you have any pictures of it? Also, what was the gas millage (if you have it) of when you used to drive it (if you ever did).

Ryland 02-19-2008 07:36 PM

As I said, when my grandparents used it they would take it in for repairs if it got less then 50mpg, it also has a note book in the glove box that doesn't cover every fill up but does have notes about a number of fillups were they had gotten over 60mpg with it on trips, when my brother owned it he would get high 40's and low 50's mostly driving it in town, then the wheel bearings fell out while he was going down the road and it got towed home.
I only drove it once, and that was a while back so I can't say much.
I'll get photos soon, it's a short walk up the hill thru the snow, and of course it's dark now.

tasdrouille 02-19-2008 07:44 PM

From the description this looks like a great car at an incredibly great price. I would buy it right now if I wasn't that far.

Post it for sale over a TDIclub.com. Just take the offers and go with the highest bidder, you'll get more than 1k for sure.

Ryland 02-20-2008 11:08 PM

Diesel Rabbit Photos

So here are some photos, the snow is nearly as deep as the tires are tall so bear with me.http://nbtsc.org/%7Eryland/cars/inde...lideshow?seq=5
as I said, it hasn't run in a number of years but has a new battery and starter and turns over but has stale fuel (didn't realize untill I tried to use that can to start a bon fire...) and it needs brakes, front passenger side wheel bearing and I'm sure some minor things like the drivers window crank, head light, I'm offering it up as a good body, good engine, and alot of other good stuff inbetween those two.

Ryland 02-20-2008 11:13 PM

arg! for some reason I can't edit my last post to fix the photo, so here it is!
http://nbtsc.org/%7Eryland/cars/1982dieselrabbit004.jpg
http://nbtsc.org/%7Eryland/cars/1982dieselrabbit002.jpg

metroschultz 02-21-2008 11:20 AM

lookit all d rabbits, they're multiplying like.............rabbits

Stan 03-17-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 10030)
I have a 1982 VW Rabbit Diesel non turbo that is for sale, it needs a front wheel bearing ($100) and brakes all around ($150), but has a solid body, and good engine, it could have a turbo added, altho it would need a different injector pump with a turbo, was bought new by my grandparents and was taken in for service by the dealer any time the mpg droped below 50mpg.
VW didn't start useing turbos untill 1984, and I don't think it was standard untill I think the early 1990's.

Actually, these engines will take a later indirect injection 1.6L turbo exhaust manifold, turbo and intake manifold directly from an '84 or later TD Jetta or Rabbit/Golf. To get the most out of the turbo you would need to swap in a turbo injector pump, but turning up the fuel quantity on the NA pump will get you a 5 or 6 more ponies. As it is, the turbo itself can give you a nice little performance and FE boost. The added air under boost gives more 'working fluid' inside the combustion chamber, making the engine a little more volumetrically efficient. There a nice VW Indirect Injection Diesel Forum, where that and many other early VW diesel topics are discussed.

3lr 03-17-2008 02:29 PM

thanks for the input Stan,
boost will have to be kept very conservative as the turbo engines for rabbits are purposely of low compression nature. also oiling jets below the pistons are absent in NA models. anyone attempting that should seriously consider an properly sized, well placed (ideally water sprayed) intercooler, but most importantly monitor added heat in the engine via an exhaust gas temperature gauge.
thenafter SLOWLY make adujustments to the wastegate to increase boost.

happy smelting!

govikings 03-17-2008 10:49 PM

1984 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Diesel

how much are you willing to give for a 1984 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Diesel, it has a new timing belt, clutch, brakes, glow plugs, strut towers, windshield gasket, and head gasket at 107,000, only 146,000 miles. Also no rust, well taken care of.

Email back at kevinlangreck84@hotmail.com

DifferentPointofView 03-17-2008 11:19 PM

depends, how much do you want out of it :D

roflwaffle 03-17-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lr (Post 14699)
boost will have to be kept very conservative as the turbo engines for rabbits are purposely of low compression nature.!

Do you have a source for this?

Stan 03-18-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lr (Post 14699)
thanks for the input Stan,
boost will have to be kept very conservative as the turbo engines for rabbits are purposely of low compression nature. also oiling jets below the pistons are absent in NA models. anyone attempting that should seriously consider an properly sized, well placed (ideally water sprayed) intercooler, but most importantly monitor added heat in the engine via an exhaust gas temperature gauge.
thenafter SLOWLY make adujustments to the wastegate to increase boost.

happy smelting!

Hmm, my 1980 1.5L NA diesel Rabbit was (IIRC) about 22:1...I wouldn't call that "low compression". As for the squirters and intercooler, those are nice for performance, but wouldn't be needed for someone interested in recreating an ECOdiesel of the early 90's in a first-gen Rabbit. One would also need the turbo-to-pan oil drain line and the oil pan from a TD Jetta or Golf.

That said, I'd be all over this offer if Ryland in my neighborhood. :thumbup:

w6v2 04-22-2008 03:22 PM

RYLAND's VW Rabbit Diesel

Hey, I'm wondering if your Diesel VW is still available or if anybody else knows where I can get one for a good price....I'm looking to convert to BIODIESEL. Let me know if anybody can help me find one....

sony 10-28-2008 03:28 AM

i have a running 92 jetta turbo diesel for sale make me an offer