EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   wat car is gud? (40k miles/yr - switch from Accord to hybrid (?) for better MPG) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/wat-car-gud-40k-miles-yr-switch-accord-31408.html)

Dalamar 02-28-2015 11:06 AM

wat car is gud? (40k miles/yr - switch from Accord to hybrid (?) for better MPG)

ok here's the deal, I live in southwest Florida, and for work I drive roughly 40k miles a year. I'm currently driving a 2014 Accord 6 spd sedan and I'm thinking about trading it in on a used hybrid, but which one? they all have between 50-80k miles on them, most of the driving is highway, 90% and the speed limit here is 70mph and most travel 80mph

What I've found in my budget is:
2010-2012 Prius
2010-2014 Insight
2012 CRZ 6spd

nemo 02-28-2015 11:20 AM

High Dalamar

What are you hopping to gain by the switch? If you are doing 90% highway and not the AM and PM crawl on I75, other vehicles may yield better mpg for less.

Dalamar 02-28-2015 11:35 AM

savings on fuel, insurance, I do get stuck in the am/pm crawl, either around fort myers or river road in north port. my average on the accord is 28.9 mpg, and i figured with the average on a hybrid i'd save at least 2000 a year on gas alone at current prices. I'm a copier tech, so i have a car stock i keep, i looked at a first gen insight but theres no way my stuff would fit, even if i removed the passenger seat.

nemo 02-28-2015 12:04 PM

2K annual saving sounds like a good reason. There is was a thread on hybrid longevity and another by person using a C-Max might try a site search for details.

cowmeat 02-28-2015 01:17 PM

There's a creampuff of a G1 Insight in your area with 63K miles you could get for around 6 grand. You'd get double digit better mileage than any of the options you listed, for a lot cheaper.

2000 Honda Insight Base w/AC

Yeah, I'm a first generation Insight enthusiast!

RedDevil 02-28-2015 01:32 PM

As the new Insight is discontinued you can get great deals on them.
The Prius may use slightly less fuel (though the difference is not as big as the EPA ratings suggest) but insurance will be higher so you'll never recoup the initial cost.

All in all not much in it between the two.
You'd better test drive both the Insight and the Prius and decide which you like best.

The CRZ looks like a fun car to drive but it will use more fuel than the other two.

elhigh 02-28-2015 02:02 PM

For the volume of stuff you're toting around as a copier tech, I agree the first-gen Insight would leave you wanting, though its fuel economy will leave you breathless compared to your Accord.

The second-gen and beyond Prius would be a better bet. I've tried the second-gen Insight and it's a nice enough car, but it's still pretty small. The Prius provides quite a bit more room inside than the Insight that resembles it, but I can't determine whether it offers fold-down rear seats. I don't think it does, but I believe the Prius V does, which may be a better choice for you if you have to move a lot of stuff around.

I found these:
Toyota Prius V Std | eBay
That's a 2012 V with only 60,000 miles on it, factory certified at just under $20,000

and this:
Toyota Prius V Std | eBay
That's a 2012 with only 30,000 miles, asking $21,000.

Both those cars are in Georgia.

Closer to you, I found this:
Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan 4 Door | eBay
A 2010 Fusion Hybrid - very roomy - under $14K and less than 80,000 on the clock.

Also worth considering at some mileage penalty:
Ford Escape Hybrid Premium Sound Alloys Cruise Control | eBay
That's only comparable to your Accord at 29mpg highway but you pick up a lot of interior room for carrying your equipment and supplies. It's under $9,000.

Dalamar 02-28-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmeat (Post 469801)
There's a creampuff of a G1 Insight in your area with 63K miles you could get for around 6 grand. You'd get double digit better mileage than any of the options you listed, for a lot cheaper.[/url]

Already looked at it an test drove it on Tuesday, after their "fees" the otd price is $9300 in order to get the 2% apr has to be 2010 or newer

Dalamar 02-28-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 469805)
For the volume of stuff you're toting around as a copier tech, I agree the first-gen Insight would leave you wanting, though its fuel economy will leave you breathless compared to your Accord.

The second-gen and beyond Prius would be a better bet. I've tried the second-gen Insight and it's a nice enough car, but it's still pretty small. The Prius provides quite a bit more room inside than the Insight that resembles it, but I can't determine whether it offers fold-down rear seats. I don't think it does, but I believe the Prius V does, which may be a better choice for you if you have to move a lot of stuff around.

My trunk is always full and half the back seat :/

I'm trying to find cars at dealers in fort myers, they offer more for my 10 month old accord with 40k miles on it

Dalamar 02-28-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 469802)
As the new Insight is discontinued you can get great deals on them.
The Prius may use slightly less fuel (though the difference is not as big as the EPA ratings suggest) but insurance will be higher so you'll never recoup the initial cost.

All in all not much in it between the two.
You'd better test drive both the Insight and the Prius and decide which you like best.

The CRZ looks like a fun car to drive but it will use more fuel than the other two.

Is one better than the other for mostly highway driving?

Dalamar 02-28-2015 03:28 PM

for reference my accord trunk is full and back seat half full

i found this one
The 2010 Toyota Prius is at Your Fort Myers FL Dealer - Black 5dr HB III (Natl) Hatchback 4 Dr.

and

2010 Honda Insight EX in Ft. Myers, FL- 11237101 at carmax.com

Luckily i have a bank draft, so I just have to find a car :D

MobilOne 02-28-2015 03:49 PM

How about a Prius C? I found that they are larger inside than a regular Prius and less expensive for the same drivetrain.

jcp123 02-28-2015 05:39 PM

For lots of highway driving, a TDi VW is awesome, but maintenance costs might be rather distressing.

Sonata/Optima twins are appealing too. Not sure you can get em in stick though.

Dalamar 03-01-2015 01:43 AM

i ended up getting a 2011 Prius with 70k on it at carmax for 14128 out the door and a $800 check, the 2011 insight was uncomfortable and lacked a center console with usable armrest/storage

nemo 03-01-2015 07:49 AM

Be sure to start a garage entry and mileage log. Let us know how it preforms for your requirements.

Dalamar 03-01-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 469898)
Be sure to start a garage entry and mileage log. Let us know how it preforms for your requirements.

easily done, I keep a mileage log for work :) the 55 miles trip home starting out at 65mph until i noticed it was better at 58mph, getting off the hiighway i discovered switched to ev at red lights and using that to get back up to 25.

either way, computer figured 48.7 for the ride home

dirtydave 03-01-2015 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalamar (Post 469889)
i ended up getting a 2011 prius with 70k on it at carmax for 14128 out the door and a $800 check, the 2011 insight was uncomfortable and lacked a center console with usable armrest/storage

americaaa!

Dalamar 03-01-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 469904)
americaaa!

at least my driveway will looking interesting with the black Prius sitting next to my truck :D

http://i62.tinypic.com/2s0o28i.jpg

dirtydave 03-01-2015 11:10 AM

I Just think it is funny you don't buy a car because it... " was uncomfortable and lacked a center console with usable armrest/storage "

:rolleyes: such a foolish and typical american way to buy a vehicle. Did you also count the cup holders in each vehicle? Did you only count the vehicles with an AUX input for the new iphone6? :rolleyes:

Americaaaa!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_56QEKDtHE

UltArc 03-01-2015 11:40 AM

You already bought a car...but a G1 Insight without a passenger seat, or anything in the rear but a battery can hold a considerable amount. If insurance, mpg, and reliability are the priority, then a G1 Insight does better then anything on the market, honestly, at any price range.

One of my current ones was wrecked. Paid 3k for it originally. Totaled value was 6300, 900 for deductible AND buyback. Know what it needs to be street legal again? A driver mirror COVER and some oil.

For your needs (wants), I think you got the best deal.

(Watt car is God? None of them. I saw the title and thought you were trying to say electric cars are the best lol)

Dalamar 03-01-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 469909)
I Just think it is funny you don't buy a car because it... " was uncomfortable and lacked a center console with usable armrest/storage "

:rolleyes: such a foolish and typical american way to buy a vehicle. Did you also count the cup holders in each vehicle? Did you only count the vehicles with an AUX input for the new iphone6? :rolleyes:

Americaaaa!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_56QEKDtHE

Uh, I'm a copier tech, I drive 40k miles a year, I work from 8am to 5pm and 6 of those hours are spent sitting in my car. I have to carry for work, 2 laptops, a tablet, a "car stock" of parts for commonly replaced parts on Kyocera and Xerox full size copiers and printers and deliver machines under 80 lbs with my car. At minimum $7000 worth of parts in my car at any given time, I need storage, space and the ability to sit in the car for long periods of time in a car with out losing my mind, I made my decision based on how I personally felt about the 3 different hybrids. I didn't need to make the switch, I wanted to because I'd rather put more money in my pocket, besides the 2014 Accord, also have a 2014 silverado crew cab, 05 rx8 6spd and a 05 mazda3.

If being selfish with my money makes me a "typical" American, then I'm proud of it, you can go outside and play hide and go f*ck yourself for all I care.

Dalamar 03-01-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 469914)
You already bought a car...but a G1 Insight without a passenger seat, or anything in the rear but a battery can hold a considerable amount.

I know, I tried, but only about 75% of what I carried for work fit, and that didn't count the 2 kyocera 3140's I had in the backseat of the Accord :/

I really wanted the 2nd gen insight, but the prius was just a better fit for what I wanted to accomplish being the typical American that I am :P

UltArc 03-01-2015 03:20 PM

Hey, your situation is all you! You could have bought an Escalade, no skin off my back. Now, if you DID get an Escalade or like a CT200h I'd probably roll my eyes and just not say anything...but you made a reasonable choice. Just not an extremist choice lol

I'll use my Insight and stuff a person, a Live Stock Guardian, some rifles, electronics, and emergency bag for a 7 hour trip and won't shut up about how great it is...some people need a little more convenience than some others :)

(I realized this doesn't sound like much, but 150-220 pounds of person (plus 230 of me), 120 of dog, 2 tablets, notebook, Nikon, AR, rifle, sidearms, ammo, vest, clothing, food, camping supplies, all the gear that goes with it (lenses, chargers, batteries, cables, mags, hard drives/memory cards) and then whatever we buy stuffed in on the way back is a LOT. People probably see me and think I'm a hippie in my 'lame Eco space ship...' Lol)

Dalamar 03-01-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 469931)
Hey, your situation is all you! You could have bought an Escalade, no skin off my back. Now, if you DID get an Escalade or like a CT200h I'd probably roll my eyes and just not say anything...but you made a reasonable choice. Just not an extremist choice lol

I'll use my Insight and stuff a person, a Live Stock Guardian, some rifles, electronics, and emergency bag for a 7 hour trip and won't shut up about how great it is...some people need a little more convenience than some others :)

(I realized this doesn't sound like much, but 150-220 pounds of person (plus 230 of me), 120 of dog, 2 tablets, notebook, Nikon, AR, rifle, sidearms, ammo, vest, clothing, food, camping supplies, all the gear that goes with it (lenses, chargers, batteries, cables, mags, hard drives/memory cards) and then whatever we buy stuffed in on the way back is a LOT. People probably see me and think I'm a hippie in my 'lame Eco space ship...' Lol)

I prefer my mini 14's :P p226 goes in the center console
honestly hearing about driving a hybrid was my biggest hurdle to over come, but at the end of the day I'd rather put the money I save elsewhere, like ar500 armor and more solid core rounds while I still can

dirtydave 03-01-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalamar (Post 469929)
If being selfish with my ______ makes me a "typical" American, then I'm proud of it, you can go outside and play hide and go f*ck yourself for all I care.

^ fixed that for you! :D

MobilOne 03-01-2015 05:01 PM

Dalamar, how dare you have the audacity to not buy a gen 1 Insight? You'll have to answer for this at the "Pearly Gates." LOL

elhigh 03-02-2015 08:47 AM

Welcome to the Hybrid Zone. One thing you get with a Prius that I don't get with my manny-tranny HCH: silent running. Gently tipping into the accelerator and pulling away in buttery silence is sooooo niiiiiice. You WILL get hooked on that.

I won't fault your choice. You're working out of your car. Spending as much time in it as you are, it has to be right. If I worked out of my car, I can assure everyone here that the HCH would never have made the cut. Yes, a center console really is that important when your car is your office. When I worked out of a van, I built a center console to serve for recordkeeping and office purposes, as I was stuck with the van provided by my employer. Building a console isn't really an option in the tighter confines of a car, however.

DD doesn't know your situation and calling you out for letting ANY of your preferences blacklist one choice vs. another is ridiculous. You also had the preference for getting good fuel mileage, which led you here and predicated your narrowing the list to be heavy with hybrids. If the console preference wasn't valid, neither was the fuel economy one and we're all idiots for spending any time at all choosing one car over another.

One last thing: start a garage page on your Prius. For accelerated hair graying, start one for your trucks, too.

Have a better one.

user removed 03-02-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 469931)

If you are 230 then you have another 95 pounds of weight capacity for a total of 325 pounds. THAT is the manufacturers rated capacity. Sounds a couple hundred overloaded to me and I did own a 1st gen Insight.

It needed $6k in warranty work in 30k miles, equal to 20 of my current Sentras, not including the purchase price which would be 33 more Sentras.

OP can also write off $20k a year on his taxes.

regards
mech

Dalamar 03-02-2015 06:31 PM

not sure if it's acceptable or not, but this is my average for today

http://i60.tinypic.com/24zy81g.jpg

nemo 03-02-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalamar (Post 470191)
not sure if it's acceptable or not, but this is my average for today

http://i60.tinypic.com/24zy81g.jpg

Acceptable to who? You are the person who counts. Almost doubled what your last car was getting.:thumbup: I think that is fantastic.

UltArc 03-02-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 470091)
If you are 230 then you have another 95 pounds of weight capacity for a total of 325 pounds. THAT is the manufacturers rated capacity. Sounds a couple hundred overloaded to me and I did own a 1st gen Insight.

It needed $6k in warranty work in 30k miles, equal to 20 of my current Sentras, not including the purchase price which would be 33 more Sentras.

OP can also write off $20k a year on his taxes.

regards
mech

They seem to do alright. That isn't often I take trips, it is mostly for my small commutes and transporting my dog. But before whatever gear I have and my roommate, that is 300+ pounds...with her, it is almost 500...if it is my buddy, then approaching 600. I think he's losing weight doing cross fit instead of powerlifting, while me powerlifting and (attempting) expanding into strongman, I am gaining weight lol. I didn't realize how much I put these little guys through!

elhigh 03-03-2015 11:56 AM

If you can accept it, then it's acceptable. That's all that matters. You're the one with the car, not us.

Looks like good numbers to me, though. I'm struggling to get within shouting distance of 50mpg with all the cold and snow.

Dalamar 03-09-2015 06:38 PM

After 4 fill-ups my average is 53.6, speed limit on surface streets and 63mph on the highway, the limit here is 70mph, using cruise everywhere I go.

I was happy to find the alloys behind the hub caps, went to a local hardware store and got some knock out seals for center caps, only 87 cents each :)
http://s17.postimg.org/knhy9387j/image.jpg
http://s17.postimg.org/me0zakpqn/image.jpg

I also noticed a god awful noise coming from the battery fan the day after I bought it, and not wanting to return to the dealer, I cleaned it myself, only took about 30 min start to finish, but I still ordered filter for it to prevent something like that happening again. I ordered the filter here: Toyota - FILTER, HYBRID VEHICLE BATTERY Part Number: G92DH-47010
came to $15 shipped

http://s28.postimg.org/x04qqat4d/image.jpg
http://s28.postimg.org/gdn6h806l/image.jpg
http://s28.postimg.org/aa5lxb9wt/image.jpg

And judging buy the other things I found back there, I'd say the previous owner was a Hispanic woman with children that doesn't know what she wants to do with her life.....

http://s22.postimg.org/462uss075/image.jpg