EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Water Pump Leak? 1998 Acura CL (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/water-pump-leak-1998-acura-cl-37290.html)

Natalya 02-24-2019 03:49 PM

Water Pump Leak? 1998 Acura CL

Working on a 98 Acura CL, owner reported she had the radiator replace last summer after it cracked. Car has about 130K

I inspected the car today, saw the coolant reservoir was below minimum AND the stuff in there was a murky brown colour. I'm assuming distilled water with dirt in it IDK, or maybe the original coolant was blue and it combined with some generic orange crap whoever did her radiator job poured in it which turned it brown.

As for the leak, I noticed a crudy, very thin liquid residue around the water pump pulley. I first suspected head gasket oil leak but on closer inspection I don't think it was oil, I think it was water.

I did not notice any obvious leaks under the car.

I recommended owner should immediately get some distilled water and pour it in there and told her I'd ask for help online about it.

- Obv needs a coolant flush
- Should we just do the water pump out of caution?
- Anything else I should look at up there?
- If radiator job people mixed coolant types is the new rad suspect too?

samwichse 02-24-2019 05:23 PM

Muddy brown coolant usually means a head gasket...

Gasoline Fumes 02-24-2019 10:19 PM

Rev the engine with the rad cap off to test the head gasket. Just stay away from the opening and be ready for a mess. I've seen cars with really bad head gaskets almost empty the radiator! It's normal (I think) for the coolant level in the rad neck to rise a little when revved, but a geyser is a bad sign.

Stubby79 02-25-2019 12:02 AM

Probably mixed coolant types. I did that, red with green...looked like rusty water after.

I'd be looking closer at the water pump. Is the liquid coming out of the weep hole, around the shaft, or...? Still not sure? hit it with brake cleaner and blow it dry with compressed air, then run it and look for a source of the leak.

Head gasket? Not my first assumption, but if it were, look for bubbles coming out at the radiator cap. If you've just refilled it, there might be bubbles coming out that were trapped...but if its been run for a bit and they keep coming out, then that's one sign of a head gasket issue. As noted before, opening the throttle up can make it more apparent. Also look for coolant mixed in the oil...

Let us know your mechanical aptitude level, so we're not telling you things you already know to check.

3.2L? Interference engine, iirc...don't want that water pump taking out the timing belt and ruining the engine.

Natalya 02-27-2019 12:01 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I haven't done an engine swap ever, I have done like a clutch replacement once, I've replaced a radiator before. I've never done a head gasket or a water pump, but I'm not afraid to try.

I've asked her to bring the car by hopefully on Wednesday.