Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

HELP!! I'm a new member with a new HX that gets no gas mileage!

Well, long story short.

Hi, I'm Matt.. I've seen this website in google searches in the past, and have read over a lot of info on HX's and there appear to be a lot of knowledgeable people here on them.. but here is my problem.

The previous owner of my HX, decided to try turning it into an EX. They put an ex intake, exhaust header, and ecu into it.. and maybe even the head.. but I'm not sure about that one.

So I know somebody w/ an hx ecu, but I really need an hx intake w/ egr and all that.. I'm tired of getting 31mpg w/ 80%city and 20%highway.. this sucks!

Matt

Oh and also, what type of fuel should I be using? I've only been putting 87 into it

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-16-2009, 02:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

96turtle - '96 Honda Civic Dx
87 is fine. The only things that are different between HX and EX engines are the head (specifically the cams and rockers), pistons, transmission, primary O2 sensor (manual trans is 5 wire), and ECU. The transmission and intake and exhaust manifolds are also different. The HX has the catalytic converter positioned right after the exhaust ports on the head. I'm pretty sure the information I gave is pretty much correct (I had thought about converting an EX to HX, but gave up on the idea).
Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yep I'm well aware of the differences.. I'm obsessed over HX's and the whole phenominal idea of vtec-e... I'm bummed the previous owner messed with it though because of getting 40mpg city I get 31.. and instead of 60mpg highway, I dont even know what I get lol
Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

Celica GTS - '02 Toyota Celica GT-S
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Drive Stick
It's going to cost a lot to convert it back into an HX, my question is why did you purchase the vehicle knowing it is no longer an HX? It defeats the purpose of buying the car doesn't it?

Anyway there is an HX for sale its a green 98 up by you somewhere somebody posted it, $2,800 on craigslist. If you need an entire car you could purchase that one, and sell the current vehicle.

Just a suggestion? It would cost you almost that much to turn your car back into an HX unless you do all your own mechanical work.