EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Ways in which you save money every day.. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ways-you-save-money-every-day-2415.html)

Compaq888 05-18-2008 09:39 PM

Ways in which you save money every day..

I want to see if I can pick up some ways and maybe you guys can too..

-eat at home
-hypermile
-carry only cash in the wallet
-look for great deals(online deals, crazy sales)
-bike around the city instead of driving the car
-shop at walmart(stuff is super cheap)
-buying what you need, not what you want

Lazarus 05-18-2008 09:44 PM

If you eat out drink water. Or just cut out soda and stuff period.
Take home box if you eat out. They always give you to much food and you can have it for lunch the next day.

I'll spend a little more and not go to walmart.

Gone4 05-18-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 26826)

This saved me hundreds of dollars since I adopted this policy in the past year. Not drinking much or any soda at home and while eating out always ordering tap water.

The biggest thing I've done though has to be cutting my electronics habit back...

igo 05-18-2008 10:03 PM

I save money in just about every part of my life. I buy a lot a stuff at yardsales/ebay/craigslist. Also, I make a point to take a bike ride around the neighborhood on garbage day (I almost always find something cool).

The biggest thing about saving money is getting out of the habit of buying. Shopping for hobby is a bad thing.

I almost bought a flash drive today for $20. I thought:

"do i really need this?" -well it would be nice to have

"can I get it cheaper?" -I guess I can wait it isn't really that important. Maybe i can find on for chap on ebay.

Compaq888 05-18-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 26826)
Take home box if you eat out. They always give you to much food and you can have it for lunch the next day.

I'll spend a little more and not go to walmart.

why? Walmart is so cheap.

here is an example a one pack of gum costs 1.29 everywhere, not gum but those things like dentyne ice and yada yada.. at walmart they sell a 3 pack for $1.88

everything in walmart is cheap..i will use any method to save money, even to go somewhere with my parents that way i don't have to go there myself and save a lot of gas.

Lazarus 05-18-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 26861)
why? Walmart is so cheap.

here is an example a one pack of gum costs 1.29 everywhere, not gum but those things like dentyne ice and yada yada.. at walmart they sell a 3 pack for $1.88

everything in walmart is cheap..i will use any method to save money, even to go somewhere with my parents that way i don't have to go there myself and save a lot of gas.

Here's some info for you to make your own decision. For me it's not always about the money.

Johnny Mullet 05-18-2008 11:40 PM

Communist Walmart! lol

I hate shopping there because of the long lines of clueless dumbasses that go there.

JohnnyGrey 05-18-2008 11:43 PM

Here are some of the things I do...

1. Eat wonton soup for lunch. $2.49 for soup, noodles and a 20oz drink! It's hot, filling and will keep you going.

2. Stay unmarried. If men looked at marriage as objectively as everything else, jewelry stores, bridal shops and divorce attorneys would be out of work tomorrow.

3. Live with other people to share expenses and pool resources. During college, I got by in Philadelphia on $500 a month for years, with enough left to keep beer in the fridge.

4. Cook. During those college years, I kept my wallet full and my waistline small by shopping at the supermarket. You'd be surprised how much more energy you have when you eat green stuff and fresh meat rather than the usual beer and pizza diet.

5. Never, ever carry a credit card balance.

6. Get a cashback credit card. I'm getting 6% back on fuel, supermarket and drugstore purchases for a full year. If you combine this with #5, you end up making money off the credit card company.

7. If you shoot, look into making your own ammo. Ammo prices have gone up faster than gas prices lately!

8. Hang up your clothes to dry outside in good weather. Then throw them in the dryer with an anti-static sheet for 5 minutes with the heater turned off to decrustify them. With the possible exception of A/C, nothing in your house uses more power than the dryer.

9. Consider dropping collision and comprehensive coverage on your car. All the insurance company does is spread the pain over a few years via increased premiums. Any claims you file will go on your CLUE report and your rates will go up no matter which company you switch to. Instead set aside some money for the possibility of damage to your vehicle. If you can't afford to fix it, you can't afford to drive it.

Ditto on avoiding Chinamart. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Arminius 05-18-2008 11:46 PM

Set your hot water heater at the temperature you take a shower at. Not hotter.

Duffman 05-19-2008 12:24 AM

Best place to save money is to look at those regular monthly costs. Do I need more than basic phone service, cell phone, cable TV. As said above, do I need that much insurance.

For groceries, some non-brand stuff is as good as the brand stuff, some isn’t, if you don’t try new stuff you will never learn.

The don’t go shopping suggestion is really the best one. Or you when about to buy something ask yourself do I really need this? or do I need more (shoes, shirts....)

Stay out of the convenience store/vending machines and when you go out don’t spend on the extras. There is nothing like being gouged for a coke at the movies/golf course etc.

Eating out is one of the easiest things to do and the one service that everybody knows how to do themselves. Yet people still spend big money on it.